Message Boards

Topic : 08/02 Brainwashed Brides

Number of Replies: 85
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Thursday, July 28, 2005, 03:30:32 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1

(Original air date 05/03/05) Imagine growing up in a family with 56 siblings and a father who keeps dozens of wives. It's happening in an unusual religious sect in Arizona and Utah, where girls as young as 14 are forced to marry men three times their age and have as many children as possible. Meet two teens who escaped this world of polygamy and alleged abuse a year ago. Fearing that they'll be damned to hell for running away, they're even considering going back. Can Dr. Phil help them leave their past behind? Talk about the show here.

Find out what happened on the show.

Read previous messages in the archived discussion.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

August 2, 2005, 3:52 pm CDT

Brainwashed Brides

Dr. Phil,

I was so touch on this. I was reading the People July 25 issue and there is a story titled "Castaways". It is on this Warren Jeff and 4 boys that were casted away.

I really feel sorry for these kids and what  they all have endured.  Please if you have not read this story,it is a story to read.

Too all the Adults that are helping these kids "MORE POWER TO YOU ALL".

Mom of 2 in Colorado

August 2, 2005, 4:04 pm CDT

jettav

Quote From: jettav

Yes, of course I remember you and yes I do agree with everything that you said. It isn't easy to offend me as I don't have a problem sticking up for what I believe and I do respect others even if I don't always agree with them but I will say that I do get a bit offended when men think that they are so above women that they can abuse them and get by with it. There is absolutely no reason for this kind of behavior and the Bible definetly does not support it. I know a couple men not even involved in a cult who believe women are nothing but a slave to them, my hubby has a friend like this and he has always tried talking to him but to no avail and he is now divorced fighting over the kids (which neither one of them need to have)goes to show that this kind of behavior is just not right and will eventally catch up with a person. It certainly is the kids who suffer and in cases like this cult, the women are definetly losing out on all their God given gifts and potential. Maybe some day it will al end but I sort of doubt it but I do believe judgement dy will come and those guilty will be judged according to the Will and Ways of God, the creator.
hey jettav,good to hear from you again.I watched the show over again today and still i 'm amazed how these people tend to lead the lives that they do.I was also shocked just as much to hear how them poor kids and babies are treated.who in their right mind takes a baby to church to have there babies head put under water and held there until they cry?what kind of father knocks his son's teeth out just for roller blading with friends.The girls on the show were terrified !to have parents that put their child through this is not a parent at all .these men like i stated before should all be taken and put on an island where they have to hunt for food to survive and then see how they do without the wives of these men.these men are nothing more than cowards plain and simple cowards.It was good to see you Jettav.take care and god bless.cathy

August 2, 2005, 4:12 pm CDT

Polygamy

The sad thing is, this is very real and it isn't going to go away until the government/powers that be/whatever find a way to break into the secret codes and documents and basically just the world.

I say this from experience.  I was 15 when I met my ex husband. I wasn't raised in polygamy, but when they're looking for some 'fresh blood' from the 'outside' they are very good at lying and convincing you what ever they think you want to hear.  I didn't marry him at 15, I married him at 19, had 3 babies rather close together (also had 2 miscarriages) because of family pressure to have a family.  Once we were married everything about him and his family changed.  I was told which family buisness to work in, where I was going to live, what car I was going to drive...and when I lived in Salt Lake where they are based, I was told which stores to shop in, which restaurants to go to...everything else like that.  Women are so brainwashed that they're nothing without a husband and family...the girls are all encouraged to only get enough schooling to do the job they need with the 'family' and marry young.  The leader of the group had 17 wives when I left 5 years ago and was going for more, my ex husbands father had three...I didn't know about any of this until almost a year after I was married!  They hide it that well!  If some one who's gotten themselves into the cult doesn't immediately find out about what's going on, how can we expect people from outside to figure it out?  Many of my ex family relatives are in the news, a few are in jail, but not nearly all those that should be.  All I can be grateful for is when I was married we moved to one of the other states that the 'family' owned businesses in, and when I found out about the polygamy and discussed it with my then husband he said he believed it was right, I was pregnant with our first child and told him that if he ever told me he wanted another wife I would disappear with his children.  I also am grateful that when I tried to fight to get out and get a divorce (which ended in my ex husband getting custody of the kids because of the 'family' attorneys) my daughters are not in the heart of what's going on.  I have them enough to make sure that they know what life is really like versus what their fathers family teaches them.  They are now old enough to start asking questions, and I'm prepared to be very honest with them all (so far only the oldest has figured out about the polygamy, but the other two are sure to start asking questions as well).

I know about the second sets of books, the ways they lie, the law of consecration they live by, the women not being able to own anything...is there anything I can do about it?  Not really.  I couldn't even get custody of my own kids because I didn't have the money or power to battle the 'family'.  Do I wish there was something I could do?  EVERY DAY!

August 2, 2005, 4:12 pm CDT

it's realy hard

I am Fawn's niece and I also left "The Crick" CC. I left 10 days before they did. It has been very hard to get my life together. Most young people that leave end up in drugs and booze,and jail.

I am 20 years old and haven't been to more than 6th grade. 

This abuse is for real. I've experienced it first hand. It isn't something to fix over night. Most of the  people can't or won't accept the fact that they aren't safe. it will take a miracle to wake these people up.

August 2, 2005, 4:16 pm CDT

08/02 Brainwashed Brides

Quote From: tonyaah

I am so saddened and sickened by Warren Jeffs and his brand of crap.   How dare he keep another Child of God in a man made submission like that!

I am also a foster Mom and am wondering how I can help these kids get out?  Is there a foundation that helps pay for them to get out and set up in life?  I would gladly open my home to the kids and do whatever it takes to get them stable and in society.

Thanks!
Tonya

There is actually at least one foundation that I know of.  It's based out of Utah and is called Tapestries of Polygamy.  I don't have any exact information on it, but Rowena Erikson is one of the women who started it.  There's a lot of info about it on the web, I'm sure, I haven't looked it up for a long time...it's a little hard for me to deal with since my ex husband was from the same cult Rowena was.

August 2, 2005, 4:28 pm CDT

DUH!

Quote From: artsydawn

Why has our society allowed this to continue? How do these people get away with doing this to children? Everything these people are doing is ILLEGAL!! The question was asked on the show, however I dont believe there was a sufficient answer. Where are the police, children services,or our government??

Most of the would be "help" is being bribed to look the other way.

the juvenile judge was a close "friend" of the city leaders. they have their own doctors, nurses. and police force. No one that is abused is allowed out of the community. I was there.

August 2, 2005, 4:38 pm CDT

Cult Churches

Quote From: kkolanko

Does anyone know about a Christian Church in Cheyenne, WY that believe in home schooling, having many children, no contact with others in the community, old fashioed dresses, and women wearing a short scarf on their heads? Also Vision Forums father/daughter beliefs and program?
 I have not heard of that specific one.  But I was raised in another which is worldwide, who separate themselves from others (as all cults do).  You could go to sites online with a search for cults, or home churches, etc. and possibly find more about it.  I was very surprised to find our group online, when I though it was so "secret."

We met in homes, dressed somewhat old-fashioned.  The hardest thing after being out of this group for over 10 years is the child-rooted sense that I am different and not accepted, a lie from the devil that I may have to combat the remainder of my life. 

My heart prayers are for all who have the guidance from above to get out and struggles afterwards. 

August 2, 2005, 4:54 pm CDT

POLYGAMY!!!

Quote From: cgetch

Mormon teaching is that The "Mark of Cain" is that of black skin. This is of course is an old teaching, there are Mormon's of all races, and it is a teaching that is not taught in most Mormon churches today.  However, with this sect being as fundamental as they are, they would still be teaching that.  Remember there are plenty of teachings in all religions that are no longer followed because we now know they are ridiculous.

I do want to note that  your comment is racist in nature.  I am just as happy with my skin color as you are with yours.  I found your comment offensive and racially insensitive.
THIS ISN'T A DEBATE ABOUT RACISTS,BUT TO DISCUSS HOW TO HELP THESE WOMEN &KIDS.AS FAR AS THE STATEMENT YOU REFER TO AS BEING RACIST,I DIDN'TGET THAT FEELING OF A RACIST COMMENT,THIS POSTER WAS JUST STATING THAT IT WAS SAID BY ONE OF THE GIRLS THAT THEY WERE NOT TO SHAKE A BLACK PERSON'S HAND OR THEY WILL TURN BLACK .ITS THE POLYGAMISM THAT ARE RACIST.I THINK ALSO THAT THE POSTER WAS MAKING A JOKE ABOUT SKIN COLOR YOU WOULD NOT NEED A TAN.ARE YOU SO SENSITIVE THAT YOU CAN'T TAKE A JOKE?I HOPE NOT PERSONALLY I LOVE ALL COLORS AND RACES.SO CAN YOU ANSWER MY POST TO AS WHERE YOU SEE RACISM?THANKS .CATHY

August 2, 2005, 5:11 pm CDT

08/02 Brainwashed Brides

I HAVE TO SAY THAT THESE MEN ARE NOTHING BUT A PEDOPHILE IN MY EYES.THEY GET A CHEAP THRILL AS TO MARRYING A YOUNG GIRL TO HAVE SEX.THIS IS ALL I SEE THESE COWARDS AS.

August 2, 2005, 5:16 pm CDT

I grew up in a mormon offshoot cult called "the church of Jesus Christ"  we were taught that only our church was right and going to heaven.  They would speak in jibberish and have visions.  I remember trying so hard to cry and see visions as a kid.  Later, my mom left the church and became a born again christian.  I too became a christian just because I was afraid to go to hell.  After several years of being a christian, I reallized that if what I believed was true, then most people were going to hell.  I figured that hell really couldn't be that bad of a place if sooo many people were there.  I happily chose to quit reading my bible and praying about 2 years ago, and I've never been happier.   It's like a huge burdon has been lifted off my shoulders.  Now, I'm an athiest and if I do end up going to hell, it will be worth it, because religion was hell.

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | Next | Last