Message Boards

Topic : 08/02 Brainwashed Brides

Number of Replies: 85
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Thursday, July 28, 2005, 03:30:32 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1

(Original air date 05/03/05) Imagine growing up in a family with 56 siblings and a father who keeps dozens of wives. It's happening in an unusual religious sect in Arizona and Utah, where girls as young as 14 are forced to marry men three times their age and have as many children as possible. Meet two teens who escaped this world of polygamy and alleged abuse a year ago. Fearing that they'll be damned to hell for running away, they're even considering going back. Can Dr. Phil help them leave their past behind? Talk about the show here.

Find out what happened on the show.

Read previous messages in the archived discussion.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

August 2, 2005, 5:44 pm CDT

polygamy

Quote From: baddcatt

One of the young ladies on the show said that they were taught: "If they were to shake a black person's hand, they would turn black." I bet there are millions of white people that wish that's all it took to turn black. They would save billions on tanning beds, tanning pills, lotions, sprays etc.

What a world!!!!!

just to let everyone out there know these people are NOT NOT NOT mormons.  they are not affliated with the mormon church.  it is very tiring trying to explain that there is only ONE mormon church and that is the one that is based in Salt Lake City.  these people do not practice the same religion, follow the same doctorine, or read the same scriptures.  the mormon religion is not the same as say the lutherans or the baptist, where there are different sects to a religion.  the mormon religion is one religion, it dos not branch off into different sects it all follows the same things, it gets all it's teachings from the same source and all the different "church buildings" teach the same things

August 2, 2005, 6:23 pm CDT

08/02 Brainwashed Brides

Quote From: scuba84

just to let everyone out there know these people are NOT NOT NOT mormons.  they are not affliated with the mormon church.  it is very tiring trying to explain that there is only ONE mormon church and that is the one that is based in Salt Lake City.  these people do not practice the same religion, follow the same doctorine, or read the same scriptures.  the mormon religion is not the same as say the lutherans or the baptist, where there are different sects to a religion.  the mormon religion is one religion, it dos not branch off into different sects it all follows the same things, it gets all it's teachings from the same source and all the different "church buildings" teach the same things
Thank you for your input.  Many people do get the wrong picture from reports on some of those power hungry leaders who portray themselves as godly, of these groups.  Thanks also to Dr. Phil for being responsible about making that point in the show today.  Many times the media are not so respectful.

August 2, 2005, 6:45 pm CDT

08/02 Brainwashed Brides

Quote From: philfan

I grew up in a mormon offshoot cult called "the church of Jesus Christ"  we were taught that only our church was right and going to heaven.  They would speak in jibberish and have visions.  I remember trying so hard to cry and see visions as a kid.  Later, my mom left the church and became a born again christian.  I too became a christian just because I was afraid to go to hell.  After several years of being a christian, I reallized that if what I believed was true, then most people were going to hell.  I figured that hell really couldn't be that bad of a place if sooo many people were there.  I happily chose to quit reading my bible and praying about 2 years ago, and I've never been happier.   It's like a huge burdon has been lifted off my shoulders.  Now, I'm an athiest and if I do end up going to hell, it will be worth it, because religion was hell.

I get your frustation.  You probably needed a break to clear your mind from a lot of things that conflicted with your inner unlearned feelings.  The ones that live with in you. not taught.  Those feelings that told you what you were hearing didn't ring with the peacefull sounds of truth.  Just keep in mind about the God subject.  It doesn't matter so much what people think they know about God, including what they call him any country or religion.  The bottom line... What is his, is his and he will claim him own, in his own way, in his own time.  Many people are being taught different things about him and the big picture. If you are true to your heart, forgoing antagonistic attitudes, eventually you'll will find him.  So although you claim athiest by default or what ever reason, just suppose he is there and you couldn't change that fact no matter what, ...  would you want him to claim you.    If so just start talking to him and he'll find you.  If not he'll still be keeping an eye on you until you are ready!

August 2, 2005, 6:56 pm CDT

08/02 Brainwashed Brides

Quote From: bammild

I am Fawn's niece and I also left "The Crick" CC. I left 10 days before they did. It has been very hard to get my life together. Most young people that leave end up in drugs and booze,and jail.

I am 20 years old and haven't been to more than 6th grade. 

This abuse is for real. I've experienced it first hand. It isn't something to fix over night. Most of the  people can't or won't accept the fact that they aren't safe. it will take a miracle to wake these people up.

Why weren't you on the program?

August 2, 2005, 7:08 pm CDT

REAL TRUTH

I hope these two beautiful girls know that they will make it though and that they can't go back to that cult. It will be hard but they need to know that Jesus Christ is always with them. I hope they understand that we have a loving God! That our loving God sent His only son, JESUS CHRIST, to die for our sins. The only way to burn forever in hell is to deny Christ.  Jesus Christ died on the cross to pay for our sins, He was buried, and He was raised from the dead on the third day, and ascended to the Father. If you believe this then you will spend eternity in Heaven. No matter what you do you can never lose your salvation. John 3:16 say "For God so loved the world that He gave His only son, that whoever believes in Him will not parish but have everlasting life."

August 2, 2005, 7:17 pm CDT

08/02 Brainwashed Brides

Quote From: szmclennan

I get your frustation.  You probably needed a break to clear your mind from a lot of things that conflicted with your inner unlearned feelings.  The ones that live with in you. not taught.  Those feelings that told you what you were hearing didn't ring with the peacefull sounds of truth.  Just keep in mind about the God subject.  It doesn't matter so much what people think they know about God, including what they call him any country or religion.  The bottom line... What is his, is his and he will claim him own, in his own way, in his own time.  Many people are being taught different things about him and the big picture. If you are true to your heart, forgoing antagonistic attitudes, eventually you'll will find him.  So although you claim athiest by default or what ever reason, just suppose he is there and you couldn't change that fact no matter what, ...  would you want him to claim you.    If so just start talking to him and he'll find you.  If not he'll still be keeping an eye on you until you are ready!
WOW! I am so sorry for the mess that you have had to deal with. Do you really want to spend eternity in Hell? I, as a believer, don't want you to spend eternity in hell. God is a loving God and he doesn't want anyone to go to hell but it is a punishment for our sin. We are all sinners but if we believe that Jesus Christ died for those sins, that he was buried, and that he rose the third day. I don't know what kind of church your grew up in but someone has not given you a lot of information.

August 2, 2005, 7:22 pm CDT

08/02 Brainwashed Brides

Quote From: szmclennan

Thank you for your input.  Many people do get the wrong picture from reports on some of those power hungry leaders who portray themselves as godly, of these groups.  Thanks also to Dr. Phil for being responsible about making that point in the show today.  Many times the media are not so respectful.
 The Mormon church is a CULT!!! It was founded by John Smith. He claimed that he was an uneducated farmer. He then wrote a book that is just about word for word the same as the Masons (another cult). The Mormon church has based all its beliefs from a liar.

August 2, 2005, 8:02 pm CDT

These people R not Mormon

I know that it is hard for people to believe, but these peopple in this polygomist cult are not LDS.  They are a group of people that went apostate from the church many years ago.  If you are a polygomist or a child moletser you are immiediatly dissmissed from the The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter day Saints.  I really wish that when people like Dr. Phil do specials like this that they make clear the real facts, that these people are not mormons.  They claim to be Mormon but they are not in any way shape or form in compliance with the teachings of Christ and the LDS church.  They have been ex-communicated from the church and thier teachings are wrong.  Real Mormons beleive in Jesus Christ and following his teachings of love and family.  I just get so frustrated because generally Mormon people are the nicest cleanest and most patient people yet there are so many people that wish to hate us and try to make us look like horrible people.  It really hurts.  If you have questions about what we believe just ask, I , as many other LDS people will be glad to answer you.  Take care

August 2, 2005, 8:15 pm CDT

What a bold untrue statement

Quote From: christian8

The Mormon church is a CULT!!! It was founded by John Smith. He claimed that he was an uneducated farmer. He then wrote a book that is just about word for word the same as the Masons (another cult). The Mormon church has based all its beliefs from a liar.
Before you go calling names, first of all a true Christian would seek out the true facts and then make a righteous judgment.  These people in Arizona and southern Utah ARE NOT MORMON.  They are a radical unrighteous group that broke off from the true church.  The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints does not condone or support any polygamist activity and definitely not any child molestation.  I have been a member my whole life and I have never been molested or been in a polygamist family.  These people have been ex-communicated and they do not live the teachings of Christ.  Your statement is not only harsh and hurtful, it is just simply not true.  Before you start bashing something you know nothing about maybe you should get your facts straight.  Why don't you go ask a Mormon you might know what they believe.   Or I strongly suggest to go to www.LDS.org-- That is the churches official website and will tell you clearly what we believe in.  Again if you are a Christian and you have the love of Christ then you will seek truth instead of pointing fingers and calling names.  And by the way the church was founded by Christ himself through a man named Joseph Smith not Jon smith, and he was a wonderful righteous man who listened to the Lord to establish Christ's Church on the earth today, why must you hate what you know nothing about.

August 2, 2005, 9:08 pm CDT

SENONI

Quote From: senoni

Before you go calling names, first of all a true Christian would seek out the true facts and then make a righteous judgment.  These people in Arizona and southern Utah ARE NOT MORMON.  They are a radical unrighteous group that broke off from the true church.  The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints does not condone or support any polygamist activity and definitely not any child molestation.  I have been a member my whole life and I have never been molested or been in a polygamist family.  These people have been ex-communicated and they do not live the teachings of Christ.  Your statement is not only harsh and hurtful, it is just simply not true.  Before you start bashing something you know nothing about maybe you should get your facts straight.  Why don't you go ask a Mormon you might know what they believe.   Or I strongly suggest to go to www.LDS.org-- That is the churches official website and will tell you clearly what we believe in.  Again if you are a Christian and you have the love of Christ then you will seek truth instead of pointing fingers and calling names.  And by the way the church was founded by Christ himself through a man named Joseph Smith not Jon smith, and he was a wonderful righteous man who listened to the Lord to establish Christ's Church on the earth today, why must you hate what you know nothing about.
MORMONS,POLYGAMISMS,JV'S THERE IS NO DIFFERENCE IN MY EYES.WE HAVE MORMONS AND JV'S IN OUR AREA AND THEY ARE A PAIN IN THE BUTT.COMING TO THE DOOR TO SPREAD THE WORD OF GOD AND SAYING JOIN OUR GROUP OH YOU WILL BE SAVED.I ESPECIALLY GET ANGRY WHEN THEY SEND THE KIDS TO THE DOOR AND SIT IN THE CAR.KIDS COMING LOOKING FOR HANDOUTS.DON'T TELL ME I AM NOT RIGHT BECAUSE I HAVE HAD THEM ALL.WE DON'T GO DOOR TO DOOR LOOKING FOR HANDOUTS OR TRY TO PUSH LITERATURE AT PEOPLE.WHY SHOULD THEY.FREEDOM THERE IS NONE .WHY CAN'T YOU WEAR YOUR HAIR THE WAY YOU WANT ?WHY CAN'T YOU DRESS THE WAY YOU WANT.AND AS FAR AS BEING FRIENDLY,HUH !!!SOME WALK BY YOU WIH THERE NOSE SO HIGH IN THE AIR THEY DARE NOT TO SAY HELLO.FROM MY EXPERIENCES WITH LDS OR JV'S NO DIFFERENCE THEN POLYGAMY.

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | Next | Last