Message Boards

Topic : 08/02 Brainwashed Brides

Number of Replies: 85
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Thursday, July 28, 2005, 03:30:32 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1

(Original air date 05/03/05) Imagine growing up in a family with 56 siblings and a father who keeps dozens of wives. It's happening in an unusual religious sect in Arizona and Utah, where girls as young as 14 are forced to marry men three times their age and have as many children as possible. Meet two teens who escaped this world of polygamy and alleged abuse a year ago. Fearing that they'll be damned to hell for running away, they're even considering going back. Can Dr. Phil help them leave their past behind? Talk about the show here.

Find out what happened on the show.

Read previous messages in the archived discussion.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

September 1, 2006, 3:20 am CDT

08/02 Brainwashed Brides

I just heard the news myself here in the Netherlands.

I hope this is the beginning of the end of Colorado City so that the children can have a good life and not live in terror of this terrible man.

May 22, 2007, 2:39 pm CDT

Mormon abuse

Since there seems to be so much discussion about mormons on this thread, I thought I would add something as well. The FLDS church is not the only one that practices widespread abuses of children. I grew up the the mainstream LDS church (church of jesus christ of latter-day saints, based in utah). And since I was a young child have been abused by a group of members of that church. It's similar in many ways to some of the things that happen in Colorado City and other polygamous colonies, but these abusers are "good mormons". Its not just a small thing, with a few bad people who hurt kids. This is widespread. Survivors like me are very slowly starting to try and speak up about what is going on within the mormon church, but are (of course) being silenced. The head leaders in Salt Lake City do know about it however, and a report on the incidence of this ritual abuse within mormonism was written by a leader of the mormon church in 1991. Here is the link, if anyone is interested.

http://www.utlm.org/newsletters/no80.htm

For all of you who defend mormonism and tell others not to bash it if they know nothing about it... maybe you would consider researching the "hidden secrets" of mormonism instead of blindly believing everything that your church leaders tell you. I was raised in mormonism and was abused by mormons. Of course not all of them are bad, but there are a good number who are, and church leaders are ignoring it and covering it up everyday. Find out for yourselves.

July 15, 2007, 5:03 pm CDT

RoseCreek Village Selmer, Tenn

Has anybody heard about Rose Creek Village. My friend and her husband were there for just under a year. About 250 people living there. From the outside it looks like a great place to live,happy families but not after you get in. My friends were asked to leave because they took a sick girl to the Dr with out asking permission. Many other rules and people you live with report you for breaking the rules.Check out web site www.rosecreekvillage.com

January 18, 2008, 5:46 am CST

Ref. Latter Day Saints / Mormons

I live in Ireland and my family are Roman Catholic and have been for generations.

In Ireland in the years after the reformation and during the time that England invaded and took over Ireland there was a policy of arresting and killing priests and bishops who celebrated mass. The people had to resort to attending mass in a country area near their homes where people kept watch for the solders of the crown who would have arrested the priests and they would have been hung, drawn and quartered.
The areas that were used for clandestine ceremonies were known as mass rocks and are still revered today and mass celebrated once a year to acknowledge their contribution in the lives of the faithful RCs of that period.

What is the point of my post you are asking well it is to give you the back story of our families commitment to their beliefs.

The Mormons now actively seek converts in Ireland and I have a family member who chose to leave the faith of our fathers and be baptised a mormon.

I believe that all faiths are valid and as it says in the bible - in my father's house there are many mansions - my personal interpretation of this is that there are other churches and as long as we live a good life we can all share in eternity together.

However I feel that my family member was lonely and had suffered the death of her mother when she was young and was so was open to the friendship and suffocating grip of these missionaries. I believe these people do not mean to do harm but the fact is they do cause pain in families as they take these converts and so cause division in families.

I know for a fact that my relative who became a Mormon's deceased Mother was a very devout Roman Catholic and practised her faith to the very end of her life. My young relative's Grandmother died the year before her daughter and was also a devout RC. I feel sad to think that my young relative could arrange for her Mother and Grandparents baptised in the ceremonies for the dead as they would have been totally opposed to this action.

Sorry if I offend anyone but our family are hurting and I felt I had to express this and this program hit a nerve.

I know my relative is a LDS but none of her family will be able to join with her when she marries in the temple and what happens at her death do her RC relatives take part in her funeral etc...

April 5, 2008, 11:24 pm CDT

Polygamy no longer a mormon precept, but it was for a long time...

Quote From: 101160

MORMONS,POLYGAMISMS,JV'S THERE IS NO DIFFERENCE IN MY EYES.WE HAVE MORMONS AND JV'S IN OUR AREA AND THEY ARE A PAIN IN THE BUTT.COMING TO THE DOOR TO SPREAD THE WORD OF GOD AND SAYING JOIN OUR GROUP OH YOU WILL BE SAVED.I ESPECIALLY GET ANGRY WHEN THEY SEND THE KIDS TO THE DOOR AND SIT IN THE CAR.KIDS COMING LOOKING FOR HANDOUTS.DON'T TELL ME I AM NOT RIGHT BECAUSE I HAVE HAD THEM ALL.WE DON'T GO DOOR TO DOOR LOOKING FOR HANDOUTS OR TRY TO PUSH LITERATURE AT PEOPLE.WHY SHOULD THEY.FREEDOM THERE IS NONE .WHY CAN'T YOU WEAR YOUR HAIR THE WAY YOU WANT ?WHY CAN'T YOU DRESS THE WAY YOU WANT.AND AS FAR AS BEING FRIENDLY,HUH !!!SOME WALK BY YOU WIH THERE NOSE SO HIGH IN THE AIR THEY DARE NOT TO SAY HELLO.FROM MY EXPERIENCES WITH LDS OR JV'S NO DIFFERENCE THEN POLYGAMY.

You're right. Although it may not be fair, nor entirely accurate to associate current day mormons with the fundamentalist group that broke off from mormonism in order to hold on to polygamous practices, on the other hand, what many mormons do not wish to come to terms with is that their religion was founded by a certain Joseph Smith who was a child molester. He went into people's homes and, under the guise of being a "spiritual, religious" leader, conned women into handing over their young daughters to him to have sex with. He, the founder, believed in polygamy. The only reason the mormon church gave up polygamy was not because they no longer believe in it, but because mainstream American society would never accept the mormon faith or take it seriously if mormons insisted on continuing to practice polygamy. When public opinion came out too strongly against a church that was practising polygamy,  church leaders just said "oh, never mind, we didn't really mean it."  They sure did seem to mean it for a long time, though, before its practice was abandoned.

This is a sect which was founded by a con man and a pedophile, so although, I agree with you that there are many fine mormon people out there, the religion was founded on shaky, dubitable premises by a guy whose preference was having sex with young girls and who then claimed to "find" special tablets that coincidentally he was the only one to have ever seen! Now that does stretch credibility to the limit.  It takes a very gullible people to believe the kind of tall tales that Mr. Smith was good at spinning. Since history began, there have been men like Smith with a predilection for young girls, but few have gone to such lengths to justify pedophilia... actually spawning a religion from it! That's pretty nifty, but it doesn't work for me. I think the suffering he caused these young girls as he raped them is unspeakable and, hopefully, if this had happened in this century he would have gone to prison for his deeds. Sexual slaverly is still being practiced by the likes of Warren Jeffs, but it didn't come out of the blue: he had the example of the founder of mormonism.

First | Prev | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | Next Page | Last Page