Message Boards

Topic : 08/02 Brainwashed Brides

Number of Replies: 85
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Thursday, July 28, 2005, 03:30:32 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1

(Original air date 05/03/05) Imagine growing up in a family with 56 siblings and a father who keeps dozens of wives. It's happening in an unusual religious sect in Arizona and Utah, where girls as young as 14 are forced to marry men three times their age and have as many children as possible. Meet two teens who escaped this world of polygamy and alleged abuse a year ago. Fearing that they'll be damned to hell for running away, they're even considering going back. Can Dr. Phil help them leave their past behind? Talk about the show here.

Find out what happened on the show.

Read previous messages in the archived discussion.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

August 2, 2005, 5:33 am CDT

POYGAMY AGAIN!!!

Hi there i thought the plygamy topic was retired but i guess not.people reallly take to this topic.It is so controversal .well i'll wait to watch before i respond.HEY I'M FIRST TO THE BOARDS WOO HOO .LOL CATHY

August 2, 2005, 8:39 am CDT

WHY?

Why has our society allowed this to continue? How do these people get away with doing this to children? Everything these people are doing is ILLEGAL!! The question was asked on the show, however I dont believe there was a sufficient answer. Where are the police, children services,or our government??

August 2, 2005, 9:30 am CDT

Cult Churches

Does anyone know about a Christian Church in Cheyenne, WY that believe in home schooling, having many children, no contact with others in the community, old fashioed dresses, and women wearing a short scarf on their heads? Also Vision Forums father/daughter beliefs and program?

August 2, 2005, 10:28 am CDT

08/02 Brainwashed Brides

Quote From: kkolanko

Does anyone know about a Christian Church in Cheyenne, WY that believe in home schooling, having many children, no contact with others in the community, old fashioed dresses, and women wearing a short scarf on their heads? Also Vision Forums father/daughter beliefs and program?
actually there is nothing wrong with homeschooling and having many children but parents must be responsible and caring and loving and resposible to take on the wonderful task of parenting and teaching the children in a respectful fullfilling way to help them achieve and to be productive adults in society. Women need to be respected and aloud to have minds of their own as they are also created by the same God that men were created by and the Bible teaches us to love and honor and to respect one another and we are to dress modesty but should not be forced to wear what man thinks is appropiate, men who think they "rule" women and have the right to disrespect them as well as children are nothing but cowards and need a big wake up call on what marriage and family is really about, it certainly is not about "Do as I say, not as I do" type of attitude. Women and children are very imporant to God and all of us are created for a purpose and it isn't to be condemned or to be looked down up on just because of our gender. As I am sure we all know, that this show is a rerun and the head guy here has been on the run, so wonder what is going on with that?

August 2, 2005, 12:00 pm CDT

jettav

Quote From: jettav

actually there is nothing wrong with homeschooling and having many children but parents must be responsible and caring and loving and resposible to take on the wonderful task of parenting and teaching the children in a respectful fullfilling way to help them achieve and to be productive adults in society. Women need to be respected and aloud to have minds of their own as they are also created by the same God that men were created by and the Bible teaches us to love and honor and to respect one another and we are to dress modesty but should not be forced to wear what man thinks is appropiate, men who think they "rule" women and have the right to disrespect them as well as children are nothing but cowards and need a big wake up call on what marriage and family is really about, it certainly is not about "Do as I say, not as I do" type of attitude. Women and children are very imporant to God and all of us are created for a purpose and it isn't to be condemned or to be looked down up on just because of our gender. As I am sure we all know, that this show is a rerun and the head guy here has been on the run, so wonder what is going on with that?
HI THERE JETTAV DIDN'T THINK POYGAMY WOULD BE A TOPIC THAT THEY WERE GOING TO OPEN AGAIN.DON'T KNOW IF YOU REMEBER ME OR NOT BUT I REMEMBER SEEING YOU ON THE CULT BOARDS BEFORE.GOOD TO SEE SOMEONE THAT STANDS UP FOR WOMEN AND ESPECIALLY WOMEN OF THIS CULT.WOMEN ARE SO DEGRADED IN THIS CULT THAT THEY DON'T EVEN KNOW WHAT FREEDOM IS .THEY DON'T KNOW WHAT ITS LIKE TO WALK AROUND ASSOCIATE WITH OTHER PEOPLE HAVE NEW FRIENDS OTHER THAN ALLTHEIR SIBLINGS .THESE GIRLS ARE PULLED FROM SCHOOLS JUST TO LEARN A TRADE SO THEY CAN THEN MARRY AT SUCH A YOUNG AGE AND JUST TO COOK AND CLEAN FOR THE REST OF THEIR LIVES AND ELP RAISE THEIR BABIES AND THEIR SIBLINGS ALSO.THESE MEN ARE COWARDS PLAIN AND SIMPLE.AND SHOULD BE PUT AWAY.TAKE CARE .CATHY

August 2, 2005, 12:38 pm CDT

Hi Cathy

Quote From: 101160

HI THERE JETTAV DIDN'T THINK POYGAMY WOULD BE A TOPIC THAT THEY WERE GOING TO OPEN AGAIN.DON'T KNOW IF YOU REMEBER ME OR NOT BUT I REMEMBER SEEING YOU ON THE CULT BOARDS BEFORE.GOOD TO SEE SOMEONE THAT STANDS UP FOR WOMEN AND ESPECIALLY WOMEN OF THIS CULT.WOMEN ARE SO DEGRADED IN THIS CULT THAT THEY DON'T EVEN KNOW WHAT FREEDOM IS .THEY DON'T KNOW WHAT ITS LIKE TO WALK AROUND ASSOCIATE WITH OTHER PEOPLE HAVE NEW FRIENDS OTHER THAN ALLTHEIR SIBLINGS .THESE GIRLS ARE PULLED FROM SCHOOLS JUST TO LEARN A TRADE SO THEY CAN THEN MARRY AT SUCH A YOUNG AGE AND JUST TO COOK AND CLEAN FOR THE REST OF THEIR LIVES AND ELP RAISE THEIR BABIES AND THEIR SIBLINGS ALSO.THESE MEN ARE COWARDS PLAIN AND SIMPLE.AND SHOULD BE PUT AWAY.TAKE CARE .CATHY
Yes, of course I remember you and yes I do agree with everything that you said. It isn't easy to offend me as I don't have a problem sticking up for what I believe and I do respect others even if I don't always agree with them but I will say that I do get a bit offended when men think that they are so above women that they can abuse them and get by with it. There is absolutely no reason for this kind of behavior and the Bible definetly does not support it. I know a couple men not even involved in a cult who believe women are nothing but a slave to them, my hubby has a friend like this and he has always tried talking to him but to no avail and he is now divorced fighting over the kids (which neither one of them need to have)goes to show that this kind of behavior is just not right and will eventally catch up with a person. It certainly is the kids who suffer and in cases like this cult, the women are definetly losing out on all their God given gifts and potential. Maybe some day it will al end but I sort of doubt it but I do believe judgement dy will come and those guilty will be judged according to the Will and Ways of God, the creator.

August 2, 2005, 1:06 pm CDT

What is happening????

I just saw this program for the first time today and I am appalled.  Where are the lawmakers, the protective services people, the womens' support groups??? The practices of this cult are illegal and totally reprehensible.  We are supposedly living in an enlightened society in these United States and these cult controllers are no better than slavemasters!  I am calling for action from the State of Arizona to protect their citizens - these young women and men have no voice!

August 2, 2005, 1:30 pm CDT

Waiting for WMD?

We could always have the CIA tell Pres. Bush that Waren Jeffs is hiding WMD in Colorado AZ.  That is what it took for us to liberate the women who were being oppressed by the Taliban.

It is ridiculous that even today we cannot help women whose rights are clearly being violated because of the bureaucracy that stands in our way. 

August 2, 2005, 2:16 pm CDT

WHY????

Like others I cannot believe that our society and government cannot do something about this.  We are at War and helping other countries with their problems, people loosing their lives and famlies loosing their loved ones to fight for THEIR rights and defend OUR honor, but what about the rights and honor of these innocent children that are being held against their will, whether it be psychological or physical.  Come on Mr. President do something here at home for these kids!

August 2, 2005, 2:16 pm CDT

Racist Idiots !!!!

One of the young ladies on the show said that they were taught: "If they were to shake a black person's hand, they would turn black." I bet there are millions of white people that wish that's all it took to turn black. They would save billions on tanning beds, tanning pills, lotions, sprays etc.

What a world!!!!!

First Page | Previous Page | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Next | Last