Message Boards

Topic : 05/07 How to Stay Sober

Number of Replies: 44
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, May 01, 2009, 10:10:48 am
Author : DrPhilBoard1
Dr. Phil delves into the anatomy of addiction with two families on the verge of losing it all. Rigo was a police sergeant in charge of keeping crime off the streets, but at home he was taking up to 2,000 pain pills a month. He says his addiction caused him to lose everything he loved including his job and his family. Now he fears he’ll lose his beautiful home and his marriage too. Rigo says he’s been sober for seven weeks, but his wife of seven years, Robin, is doubtful. She says she’s seen him get sober and relapse so many times, if his current sobriety doesn’t stick, she will divorce him. Is Rigo doing everything he can to stay clean? Then, Chuck is an unemployed therapist due to his alcohol addiction. He says he’s had so many DUIs and spent so much time in jail, he can’t keep track anymore. He says he quit the bottle 90 days ago, but his wife of two years, Janet, calls him a habitual relapser. Is divorce in their future? If you think a loved one may be struggling with an addiction, or if you suspect your child is experimenting with drugs or alcohol, don’t miss this show! Learn the no-holds-barred truth about addiction, rehabilitation and sobriety, what to look for, and the cutting-edge medication and treatment that helps addicts get sober and stay sober. Talk about the show here.

Find out what happened on the show.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

May 1, 2009, 11:47 am CDT

how to stay sober

Well its so sad for people who are on drugs and drinking alot.  They need to be prayed for.  They can only get help if they really  want it themselfs.  Jesus is the only one who can help them get through this. I pray for them and others like them.  Doing drugs is a sin and drinking is a sin. For they both hurt the body  and health. Also can cause problems in familys. May God bless them and I hope they get the help they truly need/

May 1, 2009, 5:47 pm CDT

Doctor Phil Show.

Doctor How Phil/Robin Sober Stay  To. That is not easy to do. But we can try. See you on May 07th, Thursd-

ay, 2009.

May 2, 2009, 7:04 pm CDT

Huh?

It's not hard. Stop being so miserable.

May 2, 2009, 8:39 pm CDT

Cutting edge treatment

Unfortunately these treatments are available to very few of the people who need them. Offered in very few locations and probably very expensive and not covered by insurance.

May 7, 2009, 6:53 am CDT

05/07 How to Stay Sober

Quote From: bellarose11

Well its so sad for people who are on drugs and drinking alot.  They need to be prayed for.  They can only get help if they really  want it themselfs.  Jesus is the only one who can help them get through this. I pray for them and others like them.  Doing drugs is a sin and drinking is a sin. For they both hurt the body  and health. Also can cause problems in familys. May God bless them and I hope they get the help they truly need/
you are not understanding. This is a disease not a sin. Yes prayer is needed criticism is not

May 7, 2009, 7:57 am CDT

good show

I am a recovering addict who has been on Suboxone for 7 months now. I look forward to reading "Healing the Addicted Mind". I was a little disappointed that Dr. Phil did not mention NA as he did AA. I for one can tell you that without the fellowship of NA, Suboxone would have just been a band aid for my drug addiction.
jimaddict

May 7, 2009, 8:02 am CDT

how to stay sober

I am 38 yrs.old. I have an alcoholic husband. My husband has realized that drinking is not the way to go. But for two years he has been sober. I only supported him. But i to was ready to leave him because of his drinking. He has had so many DUI's in his lifetime. I think that he has realized what he has done. But every day he struggles with alcohol. I am hoping that he can keep up with what he has accomplished today. Yes, we do have stress in the family. But i also feel that by supporting him and not putting alcohol in the house gives him the support he needs. But he has done all of this for himself and admitted he has alcohol problem. I also went to al-non group for support. They have taught me alot. Make sure that you try to support him if he is willing to get the help he needs. This is the best of advice. But i am still with my husband now. We have been married for 17 years. I am very lucky to have him as a husband.

May 7, 2009, 10:56 am CDT

05/07 How to Stay Sober

Quote From: yvettes

you are not understanding. This is a disease not a sin. Yes prayer is needed criticism is not
This so-called "disease" is brought on by sin. The sin of drunkenness. Read what the Bible says about drunkenness. Not drinking in moderation, mind you, but drunkenness. That's how people become alcoholics. From getting drunk so many times, they've become addicted.

May 7, 2009, 12:28 pm CDT

You don't get it!!!

Quote From: cadescove99

This so-called "disease" is brought on by sin. The sin of drunkenness. Read what the Bible says about drunkenness. Not drinking in moderation, mind you, but drunkenness. That's how people become alcoholics. From getting drunk so many times, they've become addicted.
Stop with the sin crap. Is cancer a sin? Is depression a sin? Addiction is a disease. An addict cannot drink in moderation. An addict/alcoholic need only take ONE drink/pill and they are addicted.

Must be lonely at the top where you are...

May 7, 2009, 12:37 pm CDT

Suboxone is covered by most insurance companies

Quote From: cadescove99

Unfortunately these treatments are available to very few of the people who need them. Offered in very few locations and probably very expensive and not covered by insurance.
Most people don't want it on their record. My ex is a therapist (family and substance abuse), an addict and on Suboxone.  Addiction played a very large role in the demise of our marriage. If I had found Al-anon earlier, we may have survived. I have no idea if he is clean today. He says he is but if an addicts lips are moving, they are lying.  Suboxone is very addictive as well. It was meant to be a maintainenence drug, but being highly addictive, patients can rarely get off.

This desease sucks

First Page | Previous Page | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Next | Last