Message Boards

Topic : 08/11 Desperate Husbands

Number of Replies: 5
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, August 05, 2005, 05:38:38 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1

(Original Air Date: 05/25/05) On the outside, their lives seem perfect, but these husbands are carrying heavy burdens. With Dr. Phil's help, they end the deception by confessing their secrets to their wives. Not only has Greg been lying to his wife, but he's also been putting her life in danger. Is he ready to come clean? Then, Ed, who's been married for nearly 20 years, says he feels like a complete fraud. Can his relationship survive his shocking confession? Plus, a stay-at-home father of five who's ready for a change. Share your thoughts, join the discussion.

Find out what happened on the show.

Read previous messages in the archived discussion.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

August 11, 2005, 1:05 pm CDT

Mr.Mom

Hi all this is the first time I've ever felt so compelled to join a message board.  I was so amazed at how well the father of five ran the house that I had to hop online.  I am a mother of 3 and we are working on number 4.  I never feel like I have my house half way clean and never feel that my kids are ever in control.  So I just wanted to say kudos to Mr. Mom he is doing an absolutely amazing job. I wish my husband just did some of that on the 2 days he is in charge of the house. heather

August 11, 2005, 3:26 pm CDT

you go guy!! Mr. Mom you rock!

Mr. Moms are God's gift to us women. Every time a father takes on any other role than breadwinner he shows the world what a real man is all about!! My brother gave up a career in Journalism and Broadcasting to stay home with their 2 children and they have grown up to be wonderful adults. I am so proud of him!!  My husband and I share the duties of raising our family. We have actually found a comfortable level in the division of labour including the raising of our daughters.I know that as we dated early on, my husband was taking notes from my "Mr.Mom" brother! We salute you,Jim!

August 11, 2005, 9:20 pm CDT

internet drug using husband

I totally related to this guys situation. I will be 40 in September and I used to be a major drug user when I was younger. Somehow, I just lost the desire to do drugs and stopped cold turkey. For about 12 years or so, I was totally clean, with the exception of social drinking. I got married at 30 and had 4 children. The kids are now 7,6,5 and 2.  I had an operation in October , 2003 which had complications. In order to correct what went wrong, I needed some healing to happen--so, my Doctor prescribed me pain killers for about 4 months. After the corrective surgery, he refused to write any prescriptions,  saying that I should no longer have pain, but I was already addicted.  

I realized that I could buy hydrocodone on line and that seemed to solve my problem. For about a year and a half, I would get 2-4 deliveries a week. I used different websites and ended up spending a ton of money. My husband did not understand addiction, and kept telling me to "just quit"-- he was of no support! I called my insurance company out of desperation and was told what my options were. They wanted me to go to a Doctor in town and get seboxin (spelled right?) which would completely eliminate withdrawal discomfort. I didn't think that would sell my problem, I felt I needed an inpatient program. So, I went in to rehab and stayed clean for a number of months.  

My father, who lives in Spain, came to visit in June (he was totally aware of my rehab stint) and asked if I could get any cocaine---so, I did.   Now, just about every day since then, I have been doing cocaine. I haven't told my dad---but, he is really the reason for this relapse!!! 

I really do not enjoy the feeling I am getting from this drug use because my guilt is greater. I hope I can kick this habit soon.  I, like the desperate husband, waited faithfully for the Fedex man and counted my pills every day.  Why do drugs produce such a tight grip on people???? 

August 18, 2005, 1:11 pm CDT

Not in love any more???

I know this is a rerun but I didn't see the show first time round. I wanted to reach through the TV and slap ED who came on the show to tell his wife "he loved her but wasn't in love with her". What the #%@* is wrong with you? I agree with Dr. Phil that you get what you give. My husband and I were just married 25 years in May. In the past 10 years we have had a combined total of 7 bouts of cancer, my husband just had surgery on the inside of his mouth this morning to remove the 5th cancer for him. Yes, it's been very difficult but we've never, ever thought of leaving each other nor are we not "in love" with each other. Each day for us is a precious gift of one more day here on earth together. My birthday was yesterday and even though my husband was having surgery today he went out of his way to get me a sexy gift from Victoria Secret and made a dinner reservation for us at a very nice restaurant. We live each day as if it were our last one together. So, Ed, get a grip and get over yourself!!! You have a beautiful wife and you could have a wonderful marriage, IF YOU WANT TO!    

It makes me so mad that people become so complacent in their marriages. Go home and talk to each other for starters, start a date night for the second step then think to yourself, "What if she were going to die tomorrow. What could we do today to make this last day very special?" That's how we've chose to live our life as if it were the last day we had on earth together.   

January 18, 2006, 11:07 am CST

the magic pill

Quote From: cnd9995

I totally related to this guys situation. I will be 40 in September and I used to be a major drug user when I was younger. Somehow, I just lost the desire to do drugs and stopped cold turkey. For about 12 years or so, I was totally clean, with the exception of social drinking. I got married at 30 and had 4 children. The kids are now 7,6,5 and 2.  I had an operation in October , 2003 which had complications. In order to correct what went wrong, I needed some healing to happen--so, my Doctor prescribed me pain killers for about 4 months. After the corrective surgery, he refused to write any prescriptions,  saying that I should no longer have pain, but I was already addicted.  

I realized that I could buy hydrocodone on line and that seemed to solve my problem. For about a year and a half, I would get 2-4 deliveries a week. I used different websites and ended up spending a ton of money. My husband did not understand addiction, and kept telling me to "just quit"-- he was of no support! I called my insurance company out of desperation and was told what my options were. They wanted me to go to a Doctor in town and get seboxin (spelled right?) which would completely eliminate withdrawal discomfort. I didn't think that would sell my problem, I felt I needed an inpatient program. So, I went in to rehab and stayed clean for a number of months.  

My father, who lives in Spain, came to visit in June (he was totally aware of my rehab stint) and asked if I could get any cocaine---so, I did.   Now, just about every day since then, I have been doing cocaine. I haven't told my dad---but, he is really the reason for this relapse!!! 

I really do not enjoy the feeling I am getting from this drug use because my guilt is greater. I hope I can kick this habit soon.  I, like the desperate husband, waited faithfully for the Fedex man and counted my pills every day.  Why do drugs produce such a tight grip on people???? 

Sounds like another person looking for that magic cure or magic pill...If there was a magic pill to cure addiction I would have found it because I have tried just about all of them.methadone,seboxin,antibuse are all good tools to help a chronic addict get a foothold on their addiction but it will in no way cure anything.There is no cure for addiction.There is only treatment and maintenance that can put the addiction in remission.Not all that much different than diabetes there is only treatment and maintenance.AA or NA are a good maintenance program for addicts.also good therapy from a qualified person is good and by quallified I don't necessarily mean a professional counselor.The most important person and best counseling I have had was from a woman who did not have much formal education.Patti was my therapist some 20 years ago when I was on parole and easily the most influential person in my life.I have never known any person to be more careing and giving than patti.On the other hand about 3 or 4 years ago i had to go to outpatient treatment in order to get my license back.I had a finely educated counselor that did not have a clue.I remained in that group while useing morphine and the day my insurance ran out I was graduated as a successful client.I do not blame the counselor but it shows what treatment and therapy have become. 

Years ago there were many treatment centers in my area and now they are for the most part gone except for a few that cater to the drunk driving laws and the state of wisconsin.If the actual success rate was reported these centers would lose their funding so they embellish the stats.when I hear of 10 percent success rateing I only wish that was accurate.I beleive it to be closer to 2 or 3 percent. 

First Page | Previous Page | 1 | Next Page | Last Page