Message Boards

Topic : 08/22 Ultimate Moochers

Number of Replies: 25
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, August 19, 2005, 03:10:08 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1

(Original airdate 05/16/05)  They borrow money and don't pay you back. They're unemployed and never pay rent. If you're tired of a loved one's freeloading ways, Dr. Phil has advice for stopping the handouts. Ryan, 29, says he's living the life of "a starving artist," but his sisters say he's just a moocher. He even tries to mooch off Dr. Phil! Then, Jennell says her husband has turned her into a moocher by forcing her to ask her own mother to pay their bills. Will he give up his dreams of playing poker professionally or keep gambling with his marriage? Talk about the show here.

Find out what happened on the show.

Read previous messages in the archived discussion.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

August 22, 2005, 11:56 am CDT

08/22 Ultimate Moochers

people need to start stepping up to the plate and not let "moochers" get away with being lazy and taking advantage of others. If people expect to stay in some ne elses home but yet can't contribute then they need to be kicked to the curb. it is one thing to need some help getting started or back on ones feet but it is another to take advantage and expect others to take care of you. To me a moocher, one who has no desire to get off their butts and get out there and take care of themselves is very toxic and needs help and an attitude adjustment. As long as people allow the behavior to go on in the home it will continue, believe me, I have a "moocher" living under my roof at the moment, he is a friend of my hubbys' who it has been at least 13 years in getting back on his feet, isn't the first time he has needed a place to stay, can't keep a job and can't even help take care of his four kids and he has an attitude towards women but of course his attitude got him a divorce. Though he is hubbys friend and he wants to help in ways that he can, doesn't mean that he has to help him in our home, I don't have a problem with being some ones friend and helping them out but there has to come a time when one must face the reality that they are an adult and they cannot be bailed out everytime they fail, we must help ourselves, even The Lord helps those who call on him but if they don't help themselves then there is nothing that God can do for them, life is about choices and even those we want to help must learn that they need to help themselves. Now, this guy in my home has a job now, has he offered to help in any way around here since he has gotten the job? No! well, he has 30 days and he is out of here,, I personally have given him info on apartments. and hubby can be his friend but not in our house and on my family's time. it is not fair for one to take advantage of others and expect to not help in no way.

August 22, 2005, 12:42 pm CDT

Moochers

How the hell can anyone be satisfied with theirselve? Not having a job, what the hell do people mean? I know someone that does this, I do believe that is what makes me hate this so much. The man I am currently dating, suppports his x-wife and in college daughter, I respect and support him in doing that. He makes me happy knowing he does love his daughter enough to support their mother. His daughter, well she has this no good boy-friend, he does not work and I would say never 

does want to. He can do electrical work and from my understanding very well, he has his papers for 

certification to do this. I just hate him. He does nothing to help with family expanses and my boy- 

friend is the sole breadwinner for the four of them. I do not particularly expect material items from 

him it is just the love that he gives me that means the world to me.  

August 22, 2005, 12:49 pm CDT

People will do what you let them.

The one thing in these stories is the same Someone Is Letting Them MOOCH.  I have both a bum of a sister that lives off one man after another and a brother who doesn't  have a thing in his own name but pays the rent of every bimbo in the city. My mother coddled them both, she receives what she expected. She's bailed them both out of jail, debt and many other situations. With me, because she calls me "The Smart One", I was told to make it on my own. I was also told not to get arrested cause I would be on my own, and she meant it.  But they keep messing up and she keeps bailing them out.   

The gambling guy, who knows why he decided to do this, maybe as a reaction to the bad situation. Nevertheless, he must be stopped. Where the hell is his "rich family"? This was just so infuriating to me. My husband and I have known each other for over 32 years, we first dated at 13 and 14. I tell ya, he is the very same 14 year old if I let him.  This woman is not leaving him because she has MS and doesn't want to traumatize her kids? Kick his butt out... This was just so fricking disgusting. My husband and I got into poker about 4 years ago, just before it became a big hit, out in Sacramento.  He tried to tell me this is what he wanted to do.  At first it was just a hint here and there, then it became the focus of all our vacations, his weekends and online.  I basically just put my foot down and said "Okay, you do that and I'll keep doing what the SANE people do. Don't ask me and kids to flush ourselves down the toilet with you."  I got control of the money and began to check every statement. I shut him down down down....He and I are still together. A good wife tries to steer a husband away from hurting himself if she is at all able.  Most problems fester until you get other people involved. Shame will shut a man down quicker than a cold shower. Part of the success of Dr. Phil's show is the reckoning and the public airing of the dirty laundry and the infinite intelligence of common sense he imparts to the guests.  This guy needs to be shut down.  NOW... 

August 22, 2005, 2:07 pm CDT

Springer

I am so surprised at Dr. Phil.  I am a compulsive gambler, and I couldn't stay in my chair waiting for Dr. Phil to bring up this possibility for Springer.  It is so sad for me that we have come so far in accepting addictions and offering treatment programs for those in need, but a compulsive gambler is not recognized in the mainstream.  Please come out of the dark ages and realize that there are programs and treatments available and the biggest step is recognizing that a gambling problem CAN be due to an addiction. 

August 22, 2005, 2:32 pm CDT

Mindless husband & father

The Jones' boys might have been consider great catches, but this one is a total bum!  He sat up on that stage and blamed his wife for his lack of responsibility and showed showed what kind of man he was.  Whether or not his wife had MS had nothing to do with it.  Good families are created when people give up the word "I" and start using the word "we." 

August 22, 2005, 3:10 pm CDT

moochers

I am the mother of the Moocher.  I know it is my fault but I have no guts to get him out.  He is my son.  It really came to a head last year after my husband passed away.  His wife also left him the same month.  So he moved in with me to "Help me out".  And share our lonelyness.  He does work.  He pays his child support to 2 different wives.  And he pays his ranch payment.  That's it!  He drives my truck that I make the payments on and the insurance payments on.  Plus all the maintence on.  He has a truck.  It's sitting in my yard.  Flat tire and uses lots of gas.  Until the past 2 months he has given me no money.  Now I get 150 a month.  His take home is about 500 a month after all his deductions.  My husband did not have much insurance and after paying his expenses there was not much left.  We have gone though that now I live on a VA pension that does not pay the bills.  Yet I do not have the guts to tell him to move home.  His electric has been cut off and his water well is busted.  Neither of us has the money to get that fixed.  So here I am feeling sorry for him but I hate myself for it.  I want him out on his own and let me sink on my own without his help.  He is 35 years old.  What do I do?  How do I get the guts to do it?

August 22, 2005, 3:17 pm CDT

The Gambling mooch- It looks to me like this guy wants a way out of his marraige. He does not want to be the

Quote From: debit47

I am so surprised at Dr. Phil.  I am a compulsive gambler, and I couldn't stay in my chair waiting for Dr. Phil to bring up this possibility for Springer.  It is so sad for me that we have come so far in accepting addictions and offering treatment programs for those in need, but a compulsive gambler is not recognized in the mainstream.  Please come out of the dark ages and realize that there are programs and treatments available and the biggest step is recognizing that a gambling problem CAN be due to an addiction. 

August 22, 2005, 5:48 pm CDT

08/22 Ultimate Moochers

I just could not beleive a hasband and father could do this to his family.. and he clam himself an Man .. sorry that'ssometing i could understand that you he love them.. becuase this is not love..this call selfish.. hate.. losing his mind.. any thing but a love and care .. thanks

August 22, 2005, 5:53 pm CDT

want to help you

Quote From: washedup

I am the mother of the Moocher.  I know it is my fault but I have no guts to get him out.  He is my son.  It really came to a head last year after my husband passed away.  His wife also left him the same month.  So he moved in with me to "Help me out".  And share our lonelyness.  He does work.  He pays his child support to 2 different wives.  And he pays his ranch payment.  That's it!  He drives my truck that I make the payments on and the insurance payments on.  Plus all the maintence on.  He has a truck.  It's sitting in my yard.  Flat tire and uses lots of gas.  Until the past 2 months he has given me no money.  Now I get 150 a month.  His take home is about 500 a month after all his deductions.  My husband did not have much insurance and after paying his expenses there was not much left.  We have gone though that now I live on a VA pension that does not pay the bills.  Yet I do not have the guts to tell him to move home.  His electric has been cut off and his water well is busted.  Neither of us has the money to get that fixed.  So here I am feeling sorry for him but I hate myself for it.  I want him out on his own and let me sink on my own without his help.  He is 35 years old.  What do I do?  How do I get the guts to do it?
Is your son Springer from the show or are you speaking of someone else? I want to give advice, but I wasn't sure if you were talking about the guy from the show. Let me know and I will respond.

August 22, 2005, 5:54 pm CDT

08/22 Ultimate Moochers

This guy Springer, he is a mess. I agree...he doesn't really want to be married. He is just making excuses. However, I think his wife has driven him to this. I venture to say that he has tried and tried and tried and nothing is good enough for her. She has a wicked side - it was easy to see that. I mean she sells stuff on e-bay for food. Give me a break? Did you see the rock on her finger? And neither of them looked like they were starving to death. He needs to get a job, stop making excuses, and she needs to get some counseling because she is an angry, bitter woman.

First Page | Previous Page | 1 | 2 | Next | Last