Message Boards

Topic : 09/15 The Disappearance of Natalee

Number of Replies: 536
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, September 09, 2005, 03:42:10 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1

It's a story that captured national attention and struck fear in the hearts of parents everywhere. Eighteen-year-old Natalee Holloway disappeared during a senior class trip to the island of Aruba. Now, Dr. Phil uncovers information never before revealed.  Tune in for exclusive interviews -- some potentially incriminating -- with witnesses, suspects and their families and friends. Find out what the polygraph says about a crucial witness, and hear Natalee's mom describe how the horror of losing her precious daughter unfolded over one heartbreaking summer. Share your thoughts here.

Find out what happened on the show.

More September 2005 Show Boards.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

September 12, 2005, 11:56 pm CDT

09/15 The Disappearance of Natalee

Quote From: netje2205

VERY EASY JUST STAY ON THE CRUISE SHIP WHEN IT GOs to ARuba.  

HERE'S AN IDEA - CANCEL THE CRUISE!! DONT GO!!

September 13, 2005, 6:18 am CDT

Quote From: bamagrammy

This horrible incident has really hit everyone in the Birmingham and Mountain Brook, Alabama, areas very hard.  IT IS SO CLOSE TO HOME.  These are fine people and they had a beautiful daughter anyone would be proud of.  The Twitty's neighborhood is covered with yellow ribbons and numerous fund raisers have been held to help this family.  The Univ. of Alabama even held her scholarship for her in hopes she would return.  But it seems like its just not gonna happen.  My heart goes out to her mother and the family.  I say a prayer for all of them daily.   

I have heard that this type of incident is not all that uncommon in Aruba and that the 3 boys made a habit out of stalking young girls as a group and raping them.  Joran had a history of being a bully and being ordered to take anger management.  And Joran was so big and Natalee so small.  What really angers me is the fact that the father is helping in a cover up.  What an example for his son...   

The island of Aruba needs to be put on the U.S. traveler's warning list which is published by the State Dept. and used by travel agencies.  Also, I think travel agencies could do a lot of good by boycotting the island for honeymoon destinations, graduation trips, etc.  Hit them in the pocketbook where it hurts.  The island has a history of corruption and seedy goings on, so boycott them.  I know the population of Aruba are mostly nice people, but maybe it would encourage them to stand up against the corruption.  And, a good number of them did get angry at Beth's continued persistence.  You know -- it may be corrupt and a cover-up going on, but its their home and she was an outsider.  

Dr. Phil:  Thank you for getting involved in this situation.  The entire country needs to know the danger our kids are in when they travel to foreign places.  They need to realize it just ain't the good ole' U.S. of A.  We chaperoned a band group to Canada once and even up there the kids learned that the rights they had back home they didn't necessarily have there.   

Also, I feel the chaperones on Natalee's trip were not as vigilent as they could have been.  I've raised two kids and chaperoned many, many school trips.  These people just didn't seem to be as concerned about their responsibilities as they should have been.  I got the impression from newspaper interviews, etc., that they were along just to have a good time themselves.  This was not the way we chaperoned them in the Midwest!   

Please include the Twittys and Holloways in your prayers.   

YES put ARuba on the U.S traveler`s warning list, an island where 2 LOCAL people where killed last year. 

http://www.lostremote.com/archives/005685.html 

September 13, 2005, 8:11 am CDT

why are you supporting Joran VDS?

Validity: Being drunk, does not necessarliy make an individual unable to carry on a conversation or to make decisions. Having sex with a drunken female is not prima facie evidence of rape (or sexual assault). If that were so then there would be a million rapes every Saturday night all over the US.  

http://scrux.com/natalee/notevidence.htm 

Beth told Geraldo that she has seen copies of interrogation transcripts in which Joran admitted to having sex with Natalee while she lapsed in and out of consciousness. That is rape, and is covered as such by laws in every civilized country of the world.

Not only that, but Joran has maintained pubicly (and all of his defenders have loudly repeated) that he left Natalee on the beach unharmed. In fact, he had sex with her at his house, and it was not consensual. His self serving and self centered behavior has caused and is still causing untold pain to the family, and the most appalling thing, in my opinion, is that people like yourself find it necessary to support his cause, by highlighting the weaknesses of the Prosecution's case, and trying to distract attention from the issue of what happened to Natalee by repeatedly bringing up other cases in other places, wars, natural disasters, etc.

I cannot for the life of me understand what gain there is in your behavior.
Why are YOU not taking up the causes of other people so much more obviously denied their rights and unlawfully detained, all over the world? Why are YOU spending your time so strenuously defending someone whose lack of honesty and accountability cannot be excused? Why do you care more about the rights of someone who obviously could supply information which would help solve this case, instead of the mute victim who has no serious defenders in Aruba except her own family?

Shame on you!

September 13, 2005, 8:24 am CDT

Boycott

YES put ARuba on the U.S travelers warning list, an island where 2 LOCAL people where killed last year. 

Yes, that island.
See, one of the people killed in this past year was an American citizen, named Natalee Holloway (oh, I know there is no proof she is dead). But if she were alive, she would surely have been heard from by now. You see, the Island of Aruba and it's parent Kingdom of the Netherlands pretty obviously does not care enough about justice to even keep the defendants in the case on the island. As Beth says, it's like a slap in the face. Now, I have no desire to debate with you, point by point how it is that i can be so sure that Joran Van Der Sloot is a material witness and accomplice in Natalee's dissapearance, that has been done over and over again on many MSM programs and all over the internet, but most importantly in teh Aruban courts themselves. No one except a few people in Aruba, and people like yourself actually profess to believe that there is no evidence linking Joran to her dissappearance. So, since the ruling powers in Aruba do not care enough for Justice and for the feelings of the victims in this case, I think that Americans are fully justified in deciding to remove their economic support from this place until a change is brought about.

The arrogance and hubris of the courts and the LE in Aruba is overwhelming and unsupportable.
I refuse to support it with my money and urge everyone to do the same.

September 13, 2005, 8:33 am CDT

I stand behind natalees family

My hopes and prayers are with Natalees family.    

I almost feel natalee could have been mine.    

God be with you beth and family during these horrible moments.   

If a phone calls links you to the residence of Jorans.    

persue this to the end.   

Many mothers stand behind you and support you   

September 13, 2005, 8:35 am CDT

I am so glad that Dr. Phil is doing this segment

Just want to say "ThankYou" for agreeing to air this segment. If ever anyone is worthy of support and all the assistance that good media exposure can provide, it is Beth, Jug and Dave. Their torment and frustration can only be imagined. I feel strongly that justice is not being serverd in Aruba, and that media and public pressure on teh government there is the only way of changing this for the better.

LET THE TRUTH COME OUT!

It's not pretty, but it needs to come out!

Thanks again!

September 13, 2005, 8:37 am CDT

Please check facts before posting

Aruba: Murder by numbers
As Coverage Mania of the Holloway story continues unabated, let's do some math. I know - we got into journalism precisely because we were told there would be no math. But let's do some anyway and answer empirically: Just how dangerous is that vicious, pirate-ridden, uncaring island of Aruba?

BY STEVE SAFRAN
LOST REMOTE MANAGING EDITOR

The population of Aruba is about 72,000 people. A conservative estimate of visitors in a given week is about 13,500. Total people on island at any given time? About 85,500.

Last year in Aruba there were two murders - possibly just one, depending on which stat you believe. We'll go with two anyway. No tourists were killed. That's a murder rate on Aruba of a little over 2 per 100,000, but we’ll call it an even 2. Or look at it this way: The Aruba murder rate is .0002.

Still, you can't go a minute without hearing about Natalee and you're worried. Maybe you're switching your vacation from Aruba to Jamaica. Bring some Kevlar. Murder rate: 32 per 100,000.

You'll be twice as safe in Puerto Rico as you would be in Jamaica. Still, it's eight times more dangerous than Aruba: 16 per 100,000 folks in Puerto Rico are going to meet an untimely end this year (with or without Greta Van Sustern caring).

If you're fine with 10 in 100,000 murders per capita, we can suggest Mexico, Estonia, Belize, the Dominican Republic and maybe Barbados during a bad year. Feel a little more secure in Costa Rica. Of your 100,000 friends, 99,994 won't get capped.

So, stick to the U.S. Virgin Islands. We run it. How bad could it be? Turns out you better leave behind a lot of clues if you're going there: 25 murders per 100,000. That's worse than ANY American city, save for New Orleans where shooting guns into the air is considered good, clean fun. The British Virgin Islands are more polite, but say “cheerio” to 11 per 100,000 chaps.

Screw it, you think, I'll just stay home. Now you're only three times as likely to be killed as if you went to Aruba, with the U.S. murder rate at about 6 per 100,000. The murder rate in New York City, from where Fox News constantly reminds us how dangerous Aruba is, was 7 per 100,000 people in 2002. And if your home is in, let's say, Alabama, up the murder rate to 7.5 per 100,000. Then wonder if one of your congressman will call for a boycott of your own state.

Obviously, there are safer places to vacation than Aruba. Go to Slovenia, Tunisia, Indonesia, Saudi Arabia or Qatar and you're golden. Go to Canada, and you're as safe as you could be. Of course, it's colder than Aruba, but the murder rate is tiny. And it's much less likely your family will be pestered by Nancy Grace. She's from the south. She hates the cold.

I got a certain amount of hate mail regarding my last column on Aruba media insanity. (Ironically,
Aruba Today's editor said she loved it.) One eloquent writer asked "Do you have a life?" I think it's pretty obvious the answer is "No, of course not. I work in news." One person asked, simply "What is your point?" Context. That's my point. I am not mocking this tragedy, nor the importance of it to the family. What I am so troubled by is a national media obsession that is making Aruba look as though it is run by the Sopranos. Before we ruin the Aruban economy, which is dependent on tourism, here is a little more context:

Natalee disappeared on May 30, 2005. Also on that date, five U.S. soldiers died in Iraq: Corp. Jeffrey B. Starr died in Ramadi, and SSGT. Casey Crate, Captain Derek Argel, Captain Jeremy Fresques and Major William Downes died in Jalawah.

There are currently 19 kids from Alabama listed as missing at the
National Center for Missing and Exploited Children website. (2 are from before 1980, some are indeed "family abductions" or "runaways".)

In South Africa, two young tourists were murdered the day after Natalee went missing.

LaToyia Figueroa, a 24-year-old pregnant woman from South Philadelphia, has been missing since July. She is Black. There has been just about no media coverage (except for stories wondering why there's no media coverage). Contrast that with the non-stop madness surrounding Laci Peterson, a 27-year-old pregnant woman from Modesto, California, who was white.

35,000 children are forced to work as prostitutes just across the sea from Aruba, in Colombia.

It's unlikely you’ll be murdered in Aruba, and it’s even more unlikely the news will care. Of course, there are ways to skew the numbers. It turns out you can geometrically expand the odds of having your story covered if you’re a cute white girl with an articulate mother during a slow news cycle. This should generate a significant spike in ratings numbers; after all, that’s the only stat that really matters.

Sources:

Pan American Health Organization (PAHO), International Comparisons of Criminal Justice Statistics 2001-Home Office Bulletin 12/03 http://www.ascotadvisory.com/News_Bulletin/9961.html

Georgia State U. Department of Criminal Justice Statistical Analysis Bureau: http://www.cjgsu.net/initiatives/HomRates-2004-05-14.htm
Iraq Casualties from Centcom.mil, via Iraq Coalition Casualty Count http://icasualties.org/oif/ Black America Web: http://www.blackamericaweb.com/site.aspx/bawnews/figueroa808
Colombia Journal Online:
http://www.colombiajournal.org/colombia111.htm

With assistance (and math help) from: Julia Renfro, Editor in Chief, Aruba Today; RD Sahl, Anchor, NECN: Jeff Gralnick, MSNBC; Tom Melville, Asst. ND, NECN
Posted by Steve Safran on 08/16/05 Link Comments (15)

LaToyia Figueroa, a 24-year-old pregnant woman from South Philadelphia, has been missing since July. She is Black.  

The murderer has been caught, Her mother has proof of a job well done by the police.  

I support all mothers who have the guts to come forward and ask for help. regardless of colour.  

MURDER IS NOT A COLOR THING.  

September 13, 2005, 11:17 am CDT

getting facts straight

Quote From: wilders

LaToyia Figueroa, a 24-year-old pregnant woman from South Philadelphia, has been missing since July. She is Black.  

The murderer has been caught, Her mother has proof of a job well done by the police.  

I support all mothers who have the guts to come forward and ask for help. regardless of colour.  

MURDER IS NOT A COLOR THING.  

Not only does netje2205 have a problem with getting facts straight, but totally misses the point of this entire situation.  This is not about comparing crime rates of various countries and boycotting them based on the number of murders per 100,000 people.  This is about how this particular case has been handled.  As for LaToyia Figueroa.....her case was solved weeks ago and contrary to netje2205's statements, her case was aired hourly on all three major news networks until her case was solved.  Her family was very active in keeping her story on the air and that is admirable. That is also what Beth Hollaway Twitty is doing and I see nothing wrong with that.  Netje2205 should pay more attention to the news and have all the facts straight before posting because now I totally question all of the other "so-called facts" in that posting.  

September 13, 2005, 11:31 am CDT

WE SUPPORT YOU BETH

Quote From: iremember

Yes, that island.
See, one of the people killed in this past year was an American citizen, named Natalee Holloway (oh, I know there is no proof she is dead). But if she were alive, she would surely have been heard from by now. You see, the Island of Aruba and it's parent Kingdom of the Netherlands pretty obviously does not care enough about justice to even keep the defendants in the case on the island. As Beth says, it's like a slap in the face. Now, I have no desire to debate with you, point by point how it is that i can be so sure that Joran Van Der Sloot is a material witness and accomplice in Natalee's dissapearance, that has been done over and over again on many MSM programs and all over the internet, but most importantly in teh Aruban courts themselves. No one except a few people in Aruba, and people like yourself actually profess to believe that there is no evidence linking Joran to her dissappearance. So, since the ruling powers in Aruba do not care enough for Justice and for the feelings of the victims in this case, I think that Americans are fully justified in deciding to remove their economic support from this place until a change is brought about.

The arrogance and hubris of the courts and the LE in Aruba is overwhelming and unsupportable.
I refuse to support it with my money and urge everyone to do the same.
The arrogance and hubris of the courts and the LE in Aruba is overwhelming and unsupportable.I refuse to support it with my money and urge everyone to do the same. THANK YOU AND I COULD NOT AGREE WITH YOU MORE! WE SUPPORT YOU BETH!!

September 13, 2005, 11:55 am CDT

Quote From: iremember

Beth told Geraldo that she has seen copies of interrogation transcripts in which Joran admitted to having sex with Natalee while she lapsed in and out of consciousness. That is rape, and is covered as such by laws in every civilized country of the world.

Not only that, but Joran has maintained pubicly (and all of his defenders have loudly repeated) that he left Natalee on the beach unharmed. In fact, he had sex with her at his house, and it was not consensual. His self serving and self centered behavior has caused and is still causing untold pain to the family, and the most appalling thing, in my opinion, is that people like yourself find it necessary to support his cause, by highlighting the weaknesses of the Prosecution's case, and trying to distract attention from the issue of what happened to Natalee by repeatedly bringing up other cases in other places, wars, natural disasters, etc.

I cannot for the life of me understand what gain there is in your behavior.
Why are YOU not taking up the causes of other people so much more obviously denied their rights and unlawfully detained, all over the world? Why are YOU spending your time so strenuously defending someone whose lack of honesty and accountability cannot be excused? Why do you care more about the rights of someone who obviously could supply information which would help solve this case, instead of the mute victim who has no serious defenders in Aruba except her own family?

Shame on you!
Beth told Geraldo that she has seen copies of interrogation transcripts in which Joran admitted to having sex with Natalee while she lapsed in and out of consciousness. That is rape, and is covered as such by laws in every civilized country of the world.THANK YOU, I TOO FEEL THAT IS RAPE. IT NEVER, EVER WAS CONSENSUAL SEX. YET JORAN WAS RELEASED, WAS "INSTANTLY" ATTENDING UNIVERSITY AT THE INTERNATIONAL SCHOOL IN THE HAGUE, NETHERLANDS just as the KALPOES WERE RELEASED TOO.............. SHAME ON YOU JORAN, SHAME ON YOU PAULUS, SHAME ON THE KALPOE BROTHERS, SHAME ON THE ARUBAN AUTHORITIES/GOVERNMENT!!!!############################BETH WE SUPPORT YOU!! WE HOPE & PRAY NATALEE WILL BE RETURNED TO YOU SOON & JUSTICE WILL BE SERVED!!

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | Next | Last