Message Boards

Topic : 09/22 Are You a Racist?

Number of Replies: 206
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, September 16, 2005, 04:33:40 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1

Dr. Phil's first guest, Charlie, admits that he's a racist and it's tearing apart his family. He has stopped speaking with his daughter, Virginia, because she's pregnant with a biracial child. With the baby due any minute, will Charlie miss out on the joy that comes with a grandchild?  Then, Rujon says he's prejudiced against his own race because he "acts white." Should he be concerned about what other people think? Plus, Marla's daughter, Daphne, has been missing for six years, and her photo was never shown on the news. Marla is angry and says missing African-Americans are ignored by the media. Dr. Phil attempts to even the coverage by putting photos of missing women of color front and center. Join the discussion.

Find out what happened on the show.

More September 2005 Show Boards.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

September 18, 2005, 1:22 am CDT

NO I AM NOT A RACIST

I TRUELY BELIEVE BLACKS ARE RACIST TRUELY. I HAVE NEVER SEEN SO MANY BLACKS ATTACK WHITES .WHITES LOST EVERYTHING THEY HAD AND THEY DIED IN THE HURRICANE AS WELL AS BLACKS. DO BLACKS NOT REALIZE WHITES SUFFER TO. ALOT OF WHITES ARE AS POOR AND IN NEED AS THEY ARE. AND TO TELL YOU THE TRUTH BLACKS GET ALOT MORE BENIFITS FROM THE GOVERMENT AND STATES THEN POOR WHITES. I WOULD LOVE FOR DR. PHIL TO TALK ABOUT POOR WHITES AND  SHOW THAT WHITES SUFFER  TO. IT IS NOT FAIR TO SHOW ONLY BLACKS WHO ARE POOR . SHOW THE WHITES TO.GRANDMAFUZ

September 18, 2005, 4:41 pm CDT

Really Interesting Question

I grew up in an environment where family and friends expressed prejudicial opinions frequently.  Actually, they still do, to my everlasting dismay.  Even as the littlest kid, that kind of talk made me feel very uncomfortable.  I decided that I did not want to share those narrow opinions and have routinely looked inward,  to make sure that I do not treat someone differently based on some aspect of their person that they had no control over.  This means that I have had to decide for myself what people have control over and that is a hard thing.   

My observation is that prejudice is usually the result of one of three attitudes:  1) I suspect that you might receive or are receiving some benefit that I think I am entitled to; 2) I am making some moral judgement, usually based on foggy thinking; 3) fear based on incomplete information. 

Over time, the thing that has helped me the most is to try to give people the benefit of the doubt whenever possible.  I feel much more comfortable focusing on behaviors and attitudes rather than race, sexual preference, and/or religion.  I wish we could teach our children this kind of approach.  I think my own front porch, not to mention the whole world would be a more peaceful place. 

September 18, 2005, 11:16 pm CDT

09/22 Are You a Racist?

I am not racist. Every one who is poor or broke is angery. I have never known anyone who is poor to be happy about it. I was working 3 jobs at one point to keep my famiy going. I was really not happy about that. Some people are rasist some are not. also in the same respect there are people who try to use that to thier advantage. I was assistant to a supervisor a young lady refused to do her job said some very nasty things to the supervisor then reported him to Hr for being racist. All he said "will you please get back to work the line is stopped because you stepped away thi order has to be out today "  "are you refusing to do your job" He almost got fired because she said he was racist my report and 5 witnesses had to be questioned  in the case. This young lady was one of the "poor me" types There is a woman here in town that is white and claimes she is so frail so abused so poor and needs help ever so much help. recently a great deal of people have caught her in some major lies he wears torn stained raggy clothes has new clothes given to her. Well I quess I am racist I do not like the "Poor me"  That do not admit when they are wrong or have done wrong the people that lie to cover thier own butt or get thier own way. other than that I like most people

September 19, 2005, 11:37 pm CDT

Are you kidding me?

Quote From: grandmafuz

I TRUELY BELIEVE BLACKS ARE RACIST TRUELY. I HAVE NEVER SEEN SO MANY BLACKS ATTACK WHITES .WHITES LOST EVERYTHING THEY HAD AND THEY DIED IN THE HURRICANE AS WELL AS BLACKS. DO BLACKS NOT REALIZE WHITES SUFFER TO. ALOT OF WHITES ARE AS POOR AND IN NEED AS THEY ARE. AND TO TELL YOU THE TRUTH BLACKS GET ALOT MORE BENIFITS FROM THE GOVERMENT AND STATES THEN POOR WHITES. I WOULD LOVE FOR DR. PHIL TO TALK ABOUT POOR WHITES AND  SHOW THAT WHITES SUFFER  TO. IT IS NOT FAIR TO SHOW ONLY BLACKS WHO ARE POOR . SHOW THE WHITES TO.GRANDMAFUZ
I am embarrassed for you. I am apalled that you would imply that white/black/or indifferent aren't getting the help that they are entitled to for Katrina. Do you not watch the news? Are you totally unaware of the programs people have put together to help these individuals through this terribly sad ordeal? If you WATCH the programs, yes you do see more blacks than white, not because we "repsond" to the need of the blacks more than the whites, it's because demographically, more blacks lived in the area than whites. Give it up and watch the news more.

September 20, 2005, 8:11 am CDT

09/22 Are You a Racist?

I agree with you grandmafuz !  I too feel that blacks are very racist.  Around our area the only people who even bring up the word racism is blacks. And It is always against them.  I too am not a racist, but I get tired of blacks claiming racism. they do get more coverage because they claim racism so much that people are afraid to respond to the truth. AND that is....we are all equal.  People quit sucking money from the government by claiming racism.  anymore all of the attention is going to other races and not the american people.  The government would rather give money to others so they can come to this country but they forget the people who are natives of the USA.  I am not a racist, I am angry that people still claim racism.      

September 21, 2005, 1:05 pm CDT

09/22 Are You a Racist?

Quote From: lonalea200

I agree with you grandmafuz !  I too feel that blacks are very racist.  Around our area the only people who even bring up the word racism is blacks. And It is always against them.  I too am not a racist, but I get tired of blacks claiming racism. they do get more coverage because they claim racism so much that people are afraid to respond to the truth. AND that is....we are all equal.  People quit sucking money from the government by claiming racism.  anymore all of the attention is going to other races and not the american people.  The government would rather give money to others so they can come to this country but they forget the people who are natives of the USA.  I am not a racist, I am angry that people still claim racism.      
I can't believe that you are saying that you are not racist?  People who agree with this are definately racist.  I admit there are some black people who have very bad attitudes and there are black people are racist against white people.  Hello, there are white people with bad attitudes, and white people who are racist!  You can't judge all black people by the few who are racist!  I am married to a black man, and have a biracial daughter, I don't like people for who they are and not what they look like.  I am not going to judge every black/white/hispanice/whatever race for what they look like, try looking at who they are/how they act and not how they look!

September 21, 2005, 4:42 pm CDT

09/22 Are You a Racist?

Quote From: ablondie

I can't believe that you are saying that you are not racist?  People who agree with this are definately racist.  I admit there are some black people who have very bad attitudes and there are black people are racist against white people.  Hello, there are white people with bad attitudes, and white people who are racist!  You can't judge all black people by the few who are racist!  I am married to a black man, and have a biracial daughter, I don't like people for who they are and not what they look like.  I am not going to judge every black/white/hispanice/whatever race for what they look like, try looking at who they are/how they act and not how they look!
 I am symply stating a fact that everytime you turn on the news, someone is claiming racism.  Usually it  is black people. You don't hear chinese yelling racism, you don't hear Japanese or any other race yelling racism. It has always been the black people.  I do not think all black people are racist but the ones who yell racism are usually black people.    That is a fact.  We don't, ( white people ), request that blacks won't let us in their programs yet they want their own special, catagorized by being of African American decent, programs because they claim they don't have as many rights because of racism. Like the negro college fund,, we don't have a white college fund.  Anyone can go for a fund in this country. we donot segrergate our race. There are scholorships for specifically black people, we don't have white people scholorships.  there aren't even Australian scholorships.  Black people have always made themselves be apart.  I welcome them. but stop yelling racism when there is none.

September 21, 2005, 6:39 pm CDT

09/22 Are You a Racist?

Quote From: emquiltin

I am not racist. Every one who is poor or broke is angery. I have never known anyone who is poor to be happy about it. I was working 3 jobs at one point to keep my famiy going. I was really not happy about that. Some people are rasist some are not. also in the same respect there are people who try to use that to thier advantage. I was assistant to a supervisor a young lady refused to do her job said some very nasty things to the supervisor then reported him to Hr for being racist. All he said "will you please get back to work the line is stopped because you stepped away thi order has to be out today "  "are you refusing to do your job" He almost got fired because she said he was racist my report and 5 witnesses had to be questioned  in the case. This young lady was one of the "poor me" types There is a woman here in town that is white and claimes she is so frail so abused so poor and needs help ever so much help. recently a great deal of people have caught her in some major lies he wears torn stained raggy clothes has new clothes given to her. Well I quess I am racist I do not like the "Poor me"  That do not admit when they are wrong or have done wrong the people that lie to cover thier own butt or get thier own way. other than that I like most people

Anyone who believes there is no difference between the races has obviously not been around much. 

Rap "music", and i use the term music very loosely, glorifies what exactly? Is performed by what people?  

Statistis tell us many things, maybe you should go look them up on the internet. 

September 21, 2005, 11:47 pm CDT

09/22 Are You a Racist?

This brings me to tears. The people from the hurricane all have suffered enough regardless of thier color. It is truly a sad situation for them all and they all desrve our prayers. Would you appreciate it if someone pased you by in the same situation because of your color? We all bleed the same color.

September 22, 2005, 5:12 am CDT

Understandable

Quote From: lonalea200

I am symply stating a fact that everytime you turn on the news, someone is claiming racism.  Usually it  is black people. You don't hear chinese yelling racism, you don't hear Japanese or any other race yelling racism. It has always been the black people.  I do not think all black people are racist but the ones who yell racism are usually black people.    That is a fact.  We don't, ( white people ), request that blacks won't let us in their programs yet they want their own special, catagorized by being of African American decent, programs because they claim they don't have as many rights because of racism. Like the negro college fund,, we don't have a white college fund.  Anyone can go for a fund in this country. we donot segrergate our race. There are scholorships for specifically black people, we don't have white people scholorships.  there aren't even Australian scholorships.  Black people have always made themselves be apart.  I welcome them. but stop yelling racism when there is none.

I understand where you are coming from with everything about the Negro college fund and everything.  I do understand why it was started, but also think that they need to start stopping that kind of stuff because this world isn't as bad as it use to be when considering racism.   

I have also seen how black people have been treated, even to this day.  It's not everyone that is racist, but it is very hard to see when someone "looks down" on my husband because he is black.  (no, that doesn't happen very often but when it does, it hurts!)  He's a good man that works and takes care of his family, and would do anything for us.   

I also know that most people who scream racism are black people, but that's when you can start categorizing.  My husband does not at all act like that, nor does his family......now I have seen and worked with a lot of people who will scream it, and with them I keep my distance!!!  I just don't want everyone categorizing every black person for the one's who are claiming racism, because they are not all like that!  But yes, I believe the majority of black people are.  I just got lucky and landed into a family that are well upstanding citizens!   

First Page | Previous Page | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Next | Last