Message Boards

Topic : 12/21 Shocking Teen Trends

Number of Replies: 224
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, September 23, 2005, 04:43:49 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1

(Original Airdate: 09/27/05) It's a game many kids call "Space Monkey," or "the choking game," but the consequences could be deadly. Robin witnessed her 14-year-old daughter and her friends giggling, choking and passing out. But what Robin saw was no laughing matter. Find out why her daughter enjoys the game, despite its dangerous repercussions. Then, Sarah's 13-year-old son made headlines when he died playing the choking game. How can she move past the guilt? Plus, Dr. Phil addresses a trend that looks innocent on the surface, but can affect teens in the worst way.  Share your thoughts, join the discussion.

Find out what happened on the show.

More December 2005 Show Boards.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

September 27, 2005, 5:49 pm CDT

Donna to.

Donna. I am surprised that didnot Monkey Space or otherwise Choking Game. Donna I ready your post anmd I cannot inmagine that the game is sure be outlaw in a way so that teenager would not die at all. Well I had better close now. Sincerly Your. Russell--

September 27, 2005, 6:06 pm CDT

addiction?

Quote From: cijaym

Consider the hundreds of thousands of people who made the transition from kid to grown up without a phone...isn't the "cure" obvious with the cell phone addiction? We survived, the world was just as dangerous (oh yes it was...not in the news but oh yes it was dangerous) and when someone rings up a $399 bill just talking to his friends, obviously he doesn't need it for emergencies. I don't own a cel phone so I don't know but in all this high tech stuff, is it not possible to restrict a phone from just his number to his mum's and the police or something?  How about taking the phone away for good, not just a few weeks? He's obviously not mature enough to have one. It's not child abuse to deprive them of a cel phone.

I have to say, I was a bit suprised by Dr. Phil's annalysis of Logan. I mean, he is the professional here, and I certainly respect his opinions, but common sense told me that this mother didn't know how to put her foot down! Like you said, why does this child need a cell phone, other than the luxury? If he abused it, he should have been accountable, and not ever given another one! If he takes his mother's, then he should be punished! If that doesn't work, I think that in the words of Dr. Phil: RAISE THE PRICE OF POKER! I am seeing that in America today, parents are afraid to say no to their children! Logan was disobeying his mother, AND it was never addressed, being RUDE to her as well, and it is labeled an "addiction"???? I don't know what to think! I really trust Dr. Phil, but I just don't know about this one...... 

September 27, 2005, 7:00 pm CDT

This is completely off topic but...

Quote From: starkitty7

I have to say, I was a bit suprised by Dr. Phil's annalysis of Logan. I mean, he is the professional here, and I certainly respect his opinions, but common sense told me that this mother didn't know how to put her foot down! Like you said, why does this child need a cell phone, other than the luxury? If he abused it, he should have been accountable, and not ever given another one! If he takes his mother's, then he should be punished! If that doesn't work, I think that in the words of Dr. Phil: RAISE THE PRICE OF POKER! I am seeing that in America today, parents are afraid to say no to their children! Logan was disobeying his mother, AND it was never addressed, being RUDE to her as well, and it is labeled an "addiction"???? I don't know what to think! I really trust Dr. Phil, but I just don't know about this one...... 

I dropped my 3 year old yes THREE year old off at pre-school today and I overheard one of the other mothers telling her son (3 years old) that she was going out of town and so and so would be picking him up from school and then she told him when she would be home. 

That was fine and dandy what came next is what shocked me... she asked him where his cell phone was... I thought at first she must be talking about a toy, even my daughter has a little princess PLAY cell phone. however when he said he left it at home she raised her voice a little and asked why he left it at home and why it wasn't in his bag.... I thought this is not right., or I am not hearing right... then she asked if he had plugged it into his charger. MY MOUTH DROPPED> 

a three year old with a REAL cell phone... FOR WHAT!!
I understand she is going out of town but why would a three year old need a cell phone. 

I think this is why our kids are hooked on these items. We GIVE them to them at such young ages. 

I have a 14 year old who asks all the time for a cell phone. My answer is NO. there is no where she will ever be where she would need a cell phone to get a hold of me at. She is where I take her and if not she is in trouble. She is allowed computer time but I have time limits for her to use the cojmputer. She doesn't have free reign of these items.  Everything in moderation and it is up to the parents to moderate the privledges. These should be a priveledge not something they just get because they are kids. 

IMO 

Tammy 

September 27, 2005, 7:41 pm CDT

my daughter played this game

When my friend told me my daughter was involved in this game i was shocked, i then asked her if it was my daughter whom was choked and she said yes. i was so upset, i imediatly questioned my daughter about this game and she told me there were about 7 girls that participated in this game and 1 girl was responsible for teaching it to the rest. These are all 13 year olds. I have forbid her to hang out with this girl, and now i'm the bad guy. You know what i don't care if i am the bad guy, cause my daughter has survived....I hope as more people learn about this, the schools and anyone involved with teens will get the message of how dangerous this is. My friend could of lost all that she owed plus a child could of lost their life, or been brain dead. It is so sad that we have to protect our kids from others who don't have proper supervision. Dr. Phil thank you from the bottom of my heart for bringing this to America's attention before it is too late for some. I have spread the word out among my friends, so that they may saved their kids from this tragedy. I hope the rest of the world takes this game a little more serious and we stop it before we lose more children. So worried and sad in Ky. Patty

September 27, 2005, 7:59 pm CDT

09/27 Shocking Teen Trends

Quote From: 101160

Hi Donna i read your post and yes when you were young it probably didn't scare you as much as it does now.Did you read below what was written by yellbasic who is an EMT i too am a former one also and i agree with this statement so here is abit of what can happen to you if one was to keep doing this to others or themselves".They dont realize that everytime that they lose consciousness they lose roughly 100 brain cells, and for every minute they are down they lessen their chanes of surviving a cardiac arrest by 20%, 10% for adults. If they do go into to cardiac arrest they have less than one half of one percent  chance of surviving the ordeal. 9 out of 10 times the person survives and becomes a vegetable much like the infamous Terri Schiavo" its kinda scarey now isn't it after you see abit of what can happen to you.How long did you play this game?And you suffered Mall epilespy!!! you were lucky then you did wake up from these games did your epilespy get worst at all ? take care didn't mean to scare you but this is only abit of what could happen to you. take care .

Thanks for your reply.  To answer your question, I did have epilepsy, but the milder version where I would just sort of blank out for a couple minutes.  I don't ever remember ever having a seizure because I was on medication for it, except for once when I was about 13 which was after I had tested negative for it at my last EEG. I never had another one after that, but I suppose I may have been at increased risk for more serious consequences from playing this game. I don't really remember how many times we did it, but I'd say at least 10 times. I'm glad we didn't do it longer than that. The way we did it was a little different too, and I think we were never out longer than just a few seconds..... not that that makes it any better! 

September 27, 2005, 10:20 pm CDT

I Feel So Lucky !

A couple of year ago my son, who was in 7th grade came home one day and told me to bend over and hold my breath.  He said that he was going to choke me a little bit and it would be kind of scary, but then I would get dizzy and it would feel really cool!  Of course I objected to this and stressed to him my fear that this was not a healthy thing to do.  My best uneducated explanation was that I thought it could cause brain damage.  My son was not convinced but saw how much it upset me so he promised not to do it anymore.  I was shocked when I read about this recently and about children dying and realized this is the same "cool game" my son wanted me to participate it!  It is also important to know that kids get high by inhaling the compressed air that you clean your keyboard out with, and it too will kill you.

September 27, 2005, 11:44 pm CDT

New Cover on an old bed

I hate to admit it but this is nothing new.  We were doing this when I was in junior high, over 40 years ago.  Only thing different was we didn't choke each other.  Here's what we did.  With one girl standing behind me, I bent over forward, placing hands on knees and took 3 huge breaths in and out.  On the 3rd extremely deep breath, I hold in the air and stand up.  The girl behind me locks her arms around my ribs and then squeezes my chest as tightly as she can and just holds on.  My head begins to tingle, then my lips, my hands and then after about 2-3 minutes I being to go black.  Shortly after that, she lets me drop onto the bed.  I'm now in a twilight state.  Eyes are closed and the tingling is very extreme.  I move my tongue around in my mouth and get the tingling all around my mouth.  I am out for about 30 seconds or so, I guess, who knows.  I want to open my eyes but I can't yet. I don't have control over my body yet.  I can hear the girls laughing about how red my face it, and saying I don't look like I'm breathing, and they laugh some more, I look so silly.  Finally the rush is over and I open my eyes.  We all sit around on the bed and I share the experience with my friends and then its the next girl's turn.  Wasn't that fun?? 

Where were my parents?  At work, and being an only child, we usually come to my house cuz I don't have any siblings to tattle on us so its safe to be there.   

So if you think your sweet little Linda wouldn't do that, think again.  If you think your straight A student, James has no time for such nonesense, I'd check my thinking if I were you.  This is peer pressure and besides even though they've heard the 'scare tactic' stories, we know that could NEVER happen to us.  After all, we know how to do it the right way, we're smarter than that. 

September 28, 2005, 1:03 am CDT

09/27 Shocking Teen Trends

We used to play this game when I was about twelve years old.  

I live in Finland, which is in northern Europe. My friend was half american, and had been going to elementary school in the usa. Well, she introduced the game to us. she said it was something that they did in health class, in school. I remember her saying it was completely harmless, the teacher did it too! 

Yeah, we were kids. She was probably lying to get us do it, but anyway. It's kind of funny. I remember we'd find a place in the school yard and just choke each other. Weaking up, when you feel lightheaded, you act strange and say weird things, so we just kept laughing at each other.' 

I always suspected that it could be harmless. I know now for sure it isn't. 

September 28, 2005, 7:16 am CDT

Thank You Sarah!!!!!!

Dear Sarah, 

Thank you so much for sharing your story on the Dr. Phil show. I was shocked by the whole "game". Totally in the dark about all this. When I picked my middle school daughter up from school I had tears because I had just watched the Dr. Phil show, so I told her why I was upset. To my total shock again.. she knew about the holding the breath game (where they breath extremely heavy several times then hold their breath and bend to the ground and jump up fast causing them to land on pillows prepared in front of them).  She said she actually witnessed it before. I was in awe. I asked her why the girl(s) did it. She said because they get totally out of it and you can ask them a question (eg. who are you in love with? or have a crush on?) and they will answer and not remember anything after.  Wow! Was I in the dark. So, Sarah, thank you for enlightening me on the whole thing, this brought me to talk to my daugher, now I am going to our church to talk to our fellow religious education teachers and am also hoping to get the school to inform parents about these terrible life threatening teen games. Again, thank you Sarah!!!!!!!! May God comfort you and bless you and your son every day of you lives! In Christian love, Robin 

September 28, 2005, 7:26 am CDT

CHOKING GAME

I AM 34 YEARS OLD MOTHER OF 3 AGES 14, 12, AND 7 AND A REGISTERED NURSE.  I WAS SO SHOCKED WHEN I SAW THE SHOW YESTERDAY.  I DID THIS ONCE WHEN I WAS 13 AND IT SCARD THE CRAP OUT OF ME.  I DIDN'T LET THEM CHOKE ME UNCONSCIOUS BECAUSE I DIDN'T LIKE THE WAY IT MADE ME FEEL ,BUT MY COUSIN DID AND I WATCHED HER HAVE A SEIZURE.  THAT WAS ENOUGH FOR ME!!  I'M GLAD I WAS SMART ENOUGH TO STOP WHEN I DID.  I ALSO STOPPED MY COUSINS FROM DOING IT ANYMORE THAT DAY.  I HAD COMPLETELY FORGOTTEN ABOUT THIS FOOLISH GAME.  I CAN'T BELIEVE IT HAS SURVIVED THROUGH THE GENERATIONS.  I SAT ALL 3 OF MY CHILDREN DOWN AND WE WATCHED IT TOGETHER WHEN THEY CAME HOME FROM SCHOOL.  SO, THANK YOU!!  YOU COULD HAVE JUST SAVED THE LIFE OF ONE OF MY KIDS AND THEIR FRIENDS!!           

MELISSA S.  

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | Next | Last