Message Boards

Topic : 09/28 Overmedicating America: The Cruise Controversy

Number of Replies: 743
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, September 23, 2005, 04:45:47 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1

When Tom Cruise gave his opinion about the drugging of America, he created a firestorm of controversy. Are we an overmedicated nation? Dave and Jill feel as if their 7-year-old son is holding them hostage in their own home. He's on three medications, but his uncontrollable fits of rage are destroying their marriage. Is this a real medical issue or a parenting problem? Then, two women with powerful personal stories debate the "Cruise controversy." They both think their opinion is right, but what does Dr. Phil think? Plus, an outraged father confronts his ex-wife and demands that she stop medicating their 9-year-old son. Talk about the show here.

Find out what happened on the show.

More September 2005 Show Boards.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

September 28, 2005, 9:51 am CDT

ADHD/PDD/Autism Spectrum Disorders

My son was diagnosed as PDD with autistic behaviors (high functioning) at age 2.  At age 6, many of his behaviors have diminished with 4 years of intense and continual therapies.  However, the disorganization in his thoughts made it impossible to function in the classroom.  Now that he is on Adderall, my son is in a first-grade classroom (special ed) with mainstreaming into traditional classes.  Without the availability of these drugs, my son would most likely be in a behavioral based class. 

September 28, 2005, 9:52 am CDT

Concerned

I watched the show today and can see and understand the hurt and anger that some feel about medication.  However, I also know the hope and help the medication can give when properly given.

What I am concerned about is the broad generalizations the state "Don't ever use medication for mental illness" or "There is not such thing as mental illness".  Then accusing those that do use the medication or their children uses the medication of being irresponsible.

Yes I do think that doctors have a tendency to just give out medication to get you out of their office.  My answer to this is simply finding another doctor.  And yes, I personally have walked out of a doctor's office and tried to find another doctor that was willing to talk to me about medication and what the pro's and con's of that specific medication are. 

I also believe that NO medication for mental illness should be prescribed by a general practitioner, family doctor or pediatrician (not even for mild depression).  If the doctor is as good as you think they are, and then they will refer you to a psychiatrist or psychologist immediately.

In the end it all comes down to education and personal choice.  Anyone that needs to take medication for any reason needs to do their homework and decide what quality of life they want. 

September 28, 2005, 10:03 am CDT

Overmedicating America

I believe what you stated on the show is correct.  A child or adult should not be given medications unless there is an absolute need for it.  As I was watching the show and the little boy, I could see in him a lot of what my son does and he is ADHD and has Asperger's Syndrome.  I believe you are right in suggesting that he be tested for these disorders.  When his diagnosis is confirmed or rejected, I believe the parents will be able to then handle him better.  Medication, as you said, needs to be made to fit the child.  The medication my son takes has been changed only once but throughout his life may change a number of times.  The first medicine caused severe side effects and was immediately changed and the medicine he is on is working great.  But as for the child in this story, I really feel for the parents as well as the child because you feel so helpless as do they until you have the right way to go.  I do believe in some cases, medicines are given just to get the patients on their way and sometimes more money for the insurance companies.  Just my opinion.  Diagnoses need to be made with a feeling of caring from the practioner.  Doctors have hectic schedules but they should not just prescribe medicines to prescribe.  They should have a definite reason why and know that what is being prescribed should work and not to add to it if it doesn't like it seemed the case with the child.  The mother was doing what she was supposed to do because the physician told her that was correct.  I don't fault her but the doctor.  It seems he really didn't either know what he/she was doing or just didn't care.   

Tracie Snyder 

Hampton VA. 

September 28, 2005, 10:04 am CDT

Medications do work!!

I am a Psychiatric Nurse and a RN living and working in small town Alberta, Canada.  I am a big believer that if a person needs to be on medications that they should be on the lowest possible dose that this theraputic.  This goes for medications for mental illness's, heart disease, diabetes, high blood pressure, etc.  The brain is an organ just like the heart and pancreas.  If we have heart problems we take medications for that, and if we have problems with our pancreas, you take oral medications, or insulin injections.  I have seen many people say that they would not take any medications for their brain.  Why?  It is an organ just like the rest of our organs in our body.  Many people say that they have been on 3 or 4 medications for depression until one medication worked.  Others take this statement that if it takes 3 or 4 meds then you never needed the medications in the first place.  But it may take 3 or 4 different medications until someone's high blood pressure is under control.  No one then states that you never needed to be on that medication then do they??  Everyone is an individual, and things do not work the same for all people. 

My beliefs are that a mental illness will not be fixed or mananged just by pills alone.  One should have supports, counselling, eat healthy, excercise, proper sleep, proper psychiatric care, etc. 

One must have balance in ones life.  I was trained and follow that there are 3 spheres to all of us.  Our emotional (mental health) well being, our Physical well being, and our Spiritual well being.  It is my belief  and practice that we should try and maintain balance in all three areas of our life. 

When it comes to your health, try not to focus on either end of the spectrum (meds or no meds), but rather look at your health in a holistic approach. 

The best advise that I can state is that you are an individual, look at all , (and I mean all) of your options, and make your own choices.  You know yourself the best.  I will look at all of my options, and I will make my own choice.  I will not force my beliefs on you and expect the same in return.  With this respect, we can share our options together. 

Thank you 

September 28, 2005, 10:35 am CDT

Second Opinion!

Quote From: mamahusick

I think that too many parents are not asking enough questions of their pediatricians.  If my pediatrician were to hand me a medication and say, "here, give this to him, it should help."  I would ask numerous questions, as well as research the drug.  I may even seek a 2nd opinion.  I have a big fear of giving my child something that may have a side affect that anyone is aware of.   My husband works as a CPS supervisor and has seen too many times where medication is given to children to aid the family in raising the child 'easier' as well as many pediatricians mis-diagnosing issues.   

Hopefully this show will wake up some parents and make them realize they may need to take a second look. 

Were you not listening? We had taken our son to 6 family doctors, 2 child psychiatrists, and a mental health hospital. All of them either gave him an Rx, changed the dosage or offered Adam a new one! Not one of them offered us any other options. I assumed by that point they certainly knew more about it than my husband and I as we are not doctors!  We were emotionally sick over all of the meds he was on and then they did not appear to be working. The doctors would just tell us to hang in there, give them time or change the Rx all together. This is why we finally wrote in, not to appear on the show, but to access some of Dr. Phil's resources. We knew that this was not right, however everywhere we turned we were given another Rx. Please understand, that I do appreciate your point of view, and respect it. But we did obtain a second opinion and a third and a fourth. . .

September 28, 2005, 11:36 am CDT

Correct diagnosis and medication in moderation

Quote From: tracied

I believe what you stated on the show is correct.  A child or adult should not be given medications unless there is an absolute need for it.  As I was watching the show and the little boy, I could see in him a lot of what my son does and he is ADHD and has Asperger's Syndrome.  I believe you are right in suggesting that he be tested for these disorders.  When his diagnosis is confirmed or rejected, I believe the parents will be able to then handle him better.  Medication, as you said, needs to be made to fit the child.  The medication my son takes has been changed only once but throughout his life may change a number of times.  The first medicine caused severe side effects and was immediately changed and the medicine he is on is working great.  But as for the child in this story, I really feel for the parents as well as the child because you feel so helpless as do they until you have the right way to go.  I do believe in some cases, medicines are given just to get the patients on their way and sometimes more money for the insurance companies.  Just my opinion.  Diagnoses need to be made with a feeling of caring from the practioner.  Doctors have hectic schedules but they should not just prescribe medicines to prescribe.  They should have a definite reason why and know that what is being prescribed should work and not to add to it if it doesn't like it seemed the case with the child.  The mother was doing what she was supposed to do because the physician told her that was correct.  I don't fault her but the doctor.  It seems he really didn't either know what he/she was doing or just didn't care.   

Tracie Snyder 

Hampton VA. 

My granddaughter was diagnosed with ADHA at age 5. She underwent a battery of tests prior to diagnosis.  The psychiatrist and my daughter agreed to try alternative therapies (behavior, nutrition etc) before jumping into medications (except for sleeping--the child never slept!!) She was fine through the summer, but the first two weeks of first grade  were a nightmare--. My daughter called the doctor when the child ended upin the principal's office the 8th day of school. He pace her on 10mg of Adderal and the change in my granddaughter was dramatic. She was in no way lethargic and it did not cramp her creative style--it made her capable participating in a normal classroom setting. She was even named Student of the month the month after starting the medication. Whenever she does not take her medication, her behavior reflects it.  My daughter sees to it that my granddaughter gets plenty of exercize and limits sweets, fried  foods etc. and the child loves fruits salads.  My daugter (I am sure) haa ADD but was never diagnosed (not that I didn't try to get help!) After my granddaughter was diagnosed she herself discovered how many symptoms of ADD she herself has.  Unfortunately she went to a family doctor who prescribed three different psychotrpic meds to her over a span of 6 weeks and she was out of control.  She has gotten back on track now--word to the wise--no matter how great your family doctor seems to be--He/She is not a psychiatrist! I agree with another message--family docs shouldn't be prescribing psych meds without thorough testing!  Anyone who thinks ADHD/bipolar etc is a figment of someones imagination has never lived with anyone who has it.

September 28, 2005, 12:01 pm CDT

It worked for us!

I have a 25 year old stepson that was diagnosed autistic and MR when he was 3.  He was placed in my care when he was 10.  In those days the drug of choice was Ritalin.  He was on that a few times when he was younger, but all it did was turn him into a zombie that could be controlled.  When I became responsible for this child, I started doing research.  I am lucky enought to live in a city with  wonderful medical care.  I started working with advocates, social workers and anyone else I could find to help us.  During a summer camp when he was 13, we found a wonderful Doctor who took the time to really watch and observe him and prescribe a "cocktail" that he felt would be a good fit for him.  That fall he was enrolled in a special needs school.  Each classroom had an assigned therapist and a phychiatrist that was assinged to the middle school.  The Doctor was able to observe him in school while he was on his meds and by the constant monitoring and tweaking, we were able to adjust dosages and come up with something that works for him.  He has been on the same group of medicines for over ten years now.  I must tell you he is considered a high functioning autistic, so we are lucky.  He now lives in a group home with five other adult males, works part time at a sheltered workshop for special needs adults and is able to function in the community by shopping on his own, having a cell phone and being responsible for the wages he earns at the workshop.  What the medicine has done for him is to allow him to become a productive member of socitey by almost getting rid of the problems that kept him from working and going to school.  It was a lot of time and effort by a lot of people and a good bit of soul searching on my part.  If you were to meet him today, you would not know there are any problems.  You might feel there is something a little odd, but he is a fully funtional as we had ever hoped for!  There have been times in the past when he quit taking his meds and we did not know.  His ability to function would decline rapidly and we would always know.  The side effects have been minimal and far out weight the advantages it has given him.

September 28, 2005, 12:13 pm CDT

Overmedicating America: The Cruise Controversy

In my opinion, unless there is an absolute reason why a child or even adult child to be given medication, then otherwise do not fill the prescription or buy the medicine that a doctor says to give. If it is not necessary, do not follow through with getting it. I would maybe seek a second opinion, maybe ask for a sample, try and see what changes take place, and then consult a doctor or pharmacist and find out what they think would be best.

September 28, 2005, 12:28 pm CDT

in my opinion.....

As for overmedicating, i believe it is happening a lot more then it should be. I do believe that there are people and children that do benefit from medications such as those for ADD/ADHD but i believe a lot of them are medicated when they don't really need it.

September 28, 2005, 12:40 pm CDT

I went through poast partum depression...

Sorry-- mispelled "post"....  

I went through post partum depression when I had my son 10 months ago and it was devastating for me.  I was too embarassed to tell any of my Dr.'s because I thought myself to be crazy.   The only people who knew what was going on with me were the people closest to me.   Honestly, I pulled through after several months, but like I said, it was devastating to me.   After feeling the way I did and having the thoughts that I did, I no longer condemn (which I shouldn't have done in the 1st place!)  or have any kind of opinion for people that I hear about that are taking anti depressants.   My old opinion was that it's just a fake escape, taking medicine like that... but after experiencing what I went through, I now understand and feel for the women who have gone through the same things, and I am happy for them if anti depressants were able to help them through that period in their lives.  

I am a Christian, so I never knew how I felt--- should I just trust in God to heal it and take it away or turn to medication?  Now, I think both are the answer.   Yes, turn to God for ALL his help and healing, but medicines are also there for us to help us along for a short period of time.   There are some people who pray and pray for healings in every part of their lives and don't recieve them.  I don't have the answer why, but I know that they are a testimony when they remain faithful and see God's grace in their lives.   =)   

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | Next | Last