Message Boards

Topic : 09/28 Overmedicating America: The Cruise Controversy

Number of Replies: 743
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, September 23, 2005, 04:45:47 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1

When Tom Cruise gave his opinion about the drugging of America, he created a firestorm of controversy. Are we an overmedicated nation? Dave and Jill feel as if their 7-year-old son is holding them hostage in their own home. He's on three medications, but his uncontrollable fits of rage are destroying their marriage. Is this a real medical issue or a parenting problem? Then, two women with powerful personal stories debate the "Cruise controversy." They both think their opinion is right, but what does Dr. Phil think? Plus, an outraged father confronts his ex-wife and demands that she stop medicating their 9-year-old son. Talk about the show here.

Find out what happened on the show.

More September 2005 Show Boards.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

November 16, 2005, 4:19 pm CST

FDA meeting

"The FDA has posted their tentative meeting schedules and, although I
am not sure the topic will be "adults, suicidality &
antidepressants", I want to give advocates a "heads-up" in case it is
this subject.

This meeting is listed under the Drug Safety and Risk Management
Advisory Committee and this is the same committee which heard the
2004 "children/adolescents, antidepressants and suicidality" plea. Of
course, the outcome of these two FDA meetings in 2004 was a Black Box
warning for 18's and under - plus a general warning for all
antidepressant users.

Last June the FDA announced they would study and meet for one year in
regard to antidepressants and adult suicidality. This may be the
first of their general meetings regarding this crucial issue. Some of
these meetings may have important information on how the FDA conducts
safety reviews and assesses risk.

This first meeting is tentatively scheduled for Thursday, December
8th and Friday December 9th.

There are phone numbers listed here to keep us advised.

Pass around the word and we will hopefully get Black Box warnings
about suicide on the labels for adults & antidepressants.  I can't
express how important this issue is to all of us.

Dr. Ann Blake Tracy, Executive Director,
International Coalition For Drug Awareness
www.drugawareness.org & author of Prozac: Panacea
or Pandora? - Our Serotonin Nightmare (800-280-0730

http://www.fda.gov/oc/advisory/accalendar/2005/2005TentMtgSched.html "

November 24, 2005, 9:39 pm CST

Dr. Ann Blake Tracy VS DR. PHIL!!!!!!!!

Quote From: badtrip

"The FDA has posted their tentative meeting schedules and, although I
am not sure the topic will be "adults, suicidality &
antidepressants", I want to give advocates a "heads-up" in case it is
this subject.

This meeting is listed under the Drug Safety and Risk Management
Advisory Committee and this is the same committee which heard the
2004 "children/adolescents, antidepressants and suicidality" plea. Of
course, the outcome of these two FDA meetings in 2004 was a Black Box
warning for 18's and under - plus a general warning for all
antidepressant users.

Last June the FDA announced they would study and meet for one year in
regard to antidepressants and adult suicidality. This may be the
first of their general meetings regarding this crucial issue. Some of
these meetings may have important information on how the FDA conducts
safety reviews and assesses risk.

This first meeting is tentatively scheduled for Thursday, December
8th and Friday December 9th.

There are phone numbers listed here to keep us advised.

Pass around the word and we will hopefully get Black Box warnings
about suicide on the labels for adults & antidepressants.  I can't
express how important this issue is to all of us.

Dr. Ann Blake Tracy, Executive Director,
International Coalition For Drug Awareness
www.drugawareness.org & author of Prozac: Panacea
or Pandora? - Our Serotonin Nightmare (800-280-0730

http://www.fda.gov/oc/advisory/accalendar/2005/2005TentMtgSched.html "

you know what would make a really really good show...  would be for Dr. Tracy to be on the Dr. phil show....      while dr. phil has to kinda dance around the facts of these drugs because he has to,  Dr. Ann Tracy could be a "tell it like it is guest"      

November 28, 2005, 8:57 am CST

09/28 Overmedicating America: The Cruise Controversy

Quote From: cingular

you know what would make a really really good show...  would be for Dr. Tracy to be on the Dr. phil show....      while dr. phil has to kinda dance around the facts of these drugs because he has to,  Dr. Ann Tracy could be a "tell it like it is guest"      

That would be awesome, especially considering her recent show on radio where she discussed the link between a lot of school and work shootings and antidepressants, and revealed that the second Columbine shooter was also taking Prozac and Paxil (we only previously knew about Harris' Luvox, now we know about Klebold too.) 

I think Dr. Phil must not believe those of us out there who are victims of meds. He recently did a show on Schizophrenia where the implication is that meds really help, but the women on them were not recovered. There was a study I may have posted on here about how antipsychotics do more harm than good and make schizophrenic people have more relapse and tons of side effects, whereas people who don't use meds have less severe episodes and more recovery in the long run. CARE is important, but drugs are just so primitive and unsuccessful. 

Maybe "renewed" can fill us in on her book she's reading about the Sotoriea (sp) where schizophrenics go to recover without meds. 

I am reading Prozac: Panacea or Pandora and it is totally filling me in on what the meds do to your brain and body. One thing they can do is turn you hypoglycemic & diabetic, alter your alcohol tolerance where one day you are high tolerance and the next you're low tolerance. That is why they say don't drink and use meds, but actually Prozac creates a drinking compulsion. It also creates anorexia when your body tries to flush out the poison you're feeding it. 

January 5, 2006, 8:15 am CST

Overmedicated America!

For all of you out there that agree that America is severly overmedicated & disagree with the over prescribing of dangers & often deadly psychotropic drugs, please visit the following site:  chaada.org  This site has a lot of info on mental illness & the dangerous drugs used to treat the disorders. CHAADA is also a membership organization where you can add your name to the list of others who have spoken out against the drugging of America.

February 3, 2006, 10:12 am CST

medication

Quote From: ummjesse

My son has been diagnosed high-functioning autism, aspergers,adhd, bi-polar, etc etc. I do believe he is truly in deep water and doesnt know how to help himself and neither do any of the adults around him. He takes thorazine, abilify, depakote, remeron, trazodone. The thorazine, abilify, and depakote are supposed (and have helped some) stop his rages but he is still beyond hyper, he babbles incessantly about being a pirate, being a scientist to being the devil. What am I to do?
My son has been on several meds since he was three for his dissorder. His first meds were adderal and amphetam these made him almost insane he was so violent on these meds. The next three years he was on risperdol and zoloft this was a good combination for a while until he started getting very violent and showing signs of possible suicide. We weened him off of the zoloft. since then we have tried many different combinations of meds and for my son he takes 4 mg of risperdol and 10 of abilify. These seem to be working for my son. All I can say is trial and error. This seems to keep his rage to a minimum and he is starting to feel some things. I wish you the best of luck and from experience no one knows your child better than you do not hesitate to tell the dr. if you feel something is not working for your child. also my son is nine and used to take about ten diff. meds every day twice a day. this did not work now it is just two.

February 28, 2006, 6:26 pm CST

overmedicating The world!

as a resident of Australia I can tell you that its not just America that is being overmedicated, it seems to be a huge problem everywhere. Why are we in such a hurry to drug these children? Surely, a safer approach would be to look at simple things such as their exposures to industrial chemicals, diet, and  parenting. Why not try removing soft drinks, and fast foods from their diets, supplementing their diets with the approx 90 vitamins, minerals, antioxidants, essential fatty acids, and amino acids that most likely aren't present in the food they are eating, offer outdoor activities and mind stimulating alternatives to tv and video games, and give it 3 months! If it works, then as nations we can save huge amounts of time and resources spent addressing these problems from a drugs-first approach which really only serves as a bandaid for the problem. I believe there are many other health issues that can be addressed using this approach, not just the mental health issue. Getting on the treadmill of antidepressant drugs and the like is going to further strain our already groaning "health" industry by causing side effects that need to be treated by - you guessed, more drugs!

February 28, 2006, 6:47 pm CST

I feel VERY strongly about this!

I suffered a psychosis worse than that suffered by Cynthia when she was on Prozac, only mine happened naturally. Medication is the only thing that pulled me out of it and now I am starting to feel like a normal person again. 

Don't bag the meds! They have saved me! 

February 28, 2006, 6:59 pm CST

And I should add -

Quote From: bearysmum

I suffered a psychosis worse than that suffered by Cynthia when she was on Prozac, only mine happened naturally. Medication is the only thing that pulled me out of it and now I am starting to feel like a normal person again. 

Don't bag the meds! They have saved me! 

I fought long and hard against using drugs to help my problem, I tried everything else I could, it was a last resort for me, and I tried another one before my current medication. So it's not like I just went running to the doctor for a quick fix.

February 28, 2006, 9:24 pm CST

Not sure about kids, but adults definately

I completely disagree with what Tom cruise has said and I think that if he had experienced any form of depression then he would shut his mouth.  I have suffered from derpression since I was 15, I am now 30 and I am finally happy.  It took me almost physically harming my son before I got help.  Even though that medication bought me back from the brink I was soon there again (4 yrs) to find my self suicidal.  My medication has been changed and now I feel fantastic.  If it wasn't for the medication there is now way I would be here today.  As for medicating children, if all the tests have been done and other avenues exhausted, then yes medicate them, if only for the parents sanity!  My son is a difficult child to bring up and some of that is from our parenting techniques, but at the moment we watch his diet and get hard on him when need be.  I would never medicate him at this point, but I can understand why parents with children worse would.  I feel that the parents sanity is vital (even my naturopath agrees) and if they are not looked after as well then that could lead to a very bad situation. 
To say that antidepressants don't work is wrong, what Tom Cruise said is wrong, but children need all the help they can get and if some need medication then give it to them.  After all don't we all complain about childrens behaviour and lack of respect these days??

March 1, 2006, 7:22 pm CST

ADHD in children

Hi, I am from sydney, Australia...i am married with 2 young boys...my youngest (7) was diagnosed with ADHD in late 2004, a few months shy of his 6th b'day...2004 was his first year at school...for most of the year he was treated as just a very naughty boy...constantly on the naughty chair facing away from the other kids, he was even put on detention once...he was very disruptive tho...climbing under tables, pinching and pushing other kids, pulling his shirt over his head...generally not participating in the normal activities in the classroom...i was worried about this, so finally the school counciler became involved by going into the classroom and assessing him for about an hour...she said the he showed no attention span and his behaviour wasn't good....we then had his hearing and sight tested...also a thorough speach therapist assessment...i then took all this information to my son's peadatrician, who by observing my son as well as all the information supplied, determined that it was indeed ADHD...i thought, finally a reason for the bad year we had all endured.....he has been on ritalin since late 2004...the end of year one (2005) saw him get called up on stage on speech day to receive the award for most improved in his class...i was so overwhelmed and emotional....he improved out of sight at school, due to the fact that he could concentrate and pay attention..we are now tho about to embark on a program for learning difficulties in both children and adults alike...its called the DORE program...i am hopeful that the program will help our son and that we will be able to come off his medication...so what i am saying is that medication can really help, as some kids do really need the medication to function normally...but ideally i don't want my son on any medication, which is why we are going to try the DORE program....incidentally i am on medication for depression...i started the depression after my son was born, and have been on medication ever since...about 7 yrs....i know i need it...whithout it i get very down and just don't want to do anything or go anywhere....there is always fores and againsts....every person and situation is different...... 

First | Prev | 68 | 69 | 70 | 71 | 72 | 73 | 74 | Next | Last