Message Boards

Topic : 09/28 Overmedicating America: The Cruise Controversy

Number of Replies: 743
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, September 23, 2005, 04:45:47 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1

When Tom Cruise gave his opinion about the drugging of America, he created a firestorm of controversy. Are we an overmedicated nation? Dave and Jill feel as if their 7-year-old son is holding them hostage in their own home. He's on three medications, but his uncontrollable fits of rage are destroying their marriage. Is this a real medical issue or a parenting problem? Then, two women with powerful personal stories debate the "Cruise controversy." They both think their opinion is right, but what does Dr. Phil think? Plus, an outraged father confronts his ex-wife and demands that she stop medicating their 9-year-old son. Talk about the show here.

Find out what happened on the show.

More September 2005 Show Boards.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

September 28, 2005, 1:13 pm CDT

this cant be good

i was watching the show today and i cant believe how many women and men bring their children to psychologist and druggin their kids..!! its sad... i worked as a reseptionist for a psychologist and i seen first hand how these kids act.. and i dont think its the children.. I do believe however some kids are different than others and may be more hyper active than others.. but that doesnt mean u have to go and drug them to get them the way u want them.. u are those kids parents u should know what they need and not what a doctor tells u.. drug wise..  its not a healthy thing for kids to be on all these drugs.. some of those meds can cause death!! DEATH!! do u really want ur child to be taking something that can cause something so terrible? I have two daughters.. my oldest will be 5 this dec.. i love her with all my heart i do! and yes she gets in her moods where she just lets go and runs wild and drives me nuts, but i would really go insane if i didnt have her in my life anymore because of something i gave her... or if it caused so heart problem or something else... giving those children is not the answer.. being a parent putting ur foot down and having some kind of plan for their day to day life and some disapline.. and of course ur love and attention... ur their mothers and fathers they need u more then that drug in their lives.. u are their role model and teaching them to take drugs as a child instead of helping them control themsevles is the wrong way to teach them..  

September 28, 2005, 1:13 pm CDT

Medication : Yes and No

I live in Canada and I am a Developmental Services Worker, and am now studying Social Services Worker. I have a few jobs in the field and I'm exposed to medication almost everyday. I definately believe that children today are being overmedicated. I think that medication is a quick fix and ADD or ADHD is a quick diagnosis for lack of parenting in today's society. I also believe that medication is a very important part of many people's lives. When it comes to developmental disabilities and metal health issues I believe in a multidisciplinary team being involved. Medication should not be the only therapy being used, there needs to be a balance. Especially when the problems are behavioural.....behaviour modification can be a very useful tool. And I think people exposed to these issues in there family need to look at many different options and approaches before choosing one for life.

September 28, 2005, 1:16 pm CDT

confused

I didn't have the opportunity to see this show and I haven't read all of the posts on this subject yet.....but what are people like Tom Cruise suggesting doctors do for schizoprenics when they start hearing voices in their heads?  Would he have them take a vitamin, go for a run, and expect the voices to be gone in the morning?  What about Multiple Personality Disorder?  These are very serious and very real disorders.  I don't agree with "over" medicating....and I personally have been on medication for anxiety and depression and medication doesn't agree with me...but I do know many people that it has helped when nothing else would.  Also my son has ADD and was failing second grade.  We tried  diet, exercise, taking vitamins, and different study techniques but nothing worked.  When I reluctantly agreed to a very small dose of ritalin...he went from failing second grade to being an honor roll student.  However, there were kids in his same class who were taking way too high of a dose who would just sit and stare into space all day.  So I personally think that every person is different in what works for them.  It is the doctor and parent's responsibility to monitor the dose you or your child are taking and use medication as a last resort.  I definately would not rule out medication all together.  I think what Tom Cruise is saying is very irresponsible.....and could potentially cause harm to someone or to society if people take him seriously.  (ie:  If a schizophrenic is hearing voices telling him/her to hurt himself / herself or to hurt someone else. ) I could be wrong, but I seriously doubt vitamins and exercise will solve that problem.

September 28, 2005, 1:17 pm CDT

09/28 Overmedicating America: The Cruise Controversy

I believe that a lot of children are overmedicated or misdiagnosed with ADD. I have a friend who has her son on so many things for his ADD and they haven't done a thing for him. I wish that the doctors in this country would get down to the real issues and start diagnosing kids with the proper problem and find the right medications for them. I know that medicating is sometimes a process of elimination but the medical field needs to find a better way.

September 28, 2005, 1:18 pm CDT

medication

This medication stuff makes me sick. I had a friend whose son was supposdly ADHD. The teacher told my friends child this to his face. So when he came home and had a note saying he did not have his home work done. His reply was I'm ADHD. No this kids problem was he gets away with everything like a lot of other kids and the fix is medication, because the parents are to afraid to admit their own wrong of not being a parent. 

Yes, I am sure that some kids do have ADHD. But everytime you turn around there is one with it. It is sickening. 

September 28, 2005, 1:19 pm CDT

When I was 14 years old I became severely depressed and even tried to take my own life.  Before I had any counseling, any tests were run, or anyone even really sat down and spoke with me I was prescribed Prosac by my family physician.  Child services pretty much threatened to take me away from my mother unless she agreed to the medication and taking me to counseling.  The prosac did not make me feel better.  I remained depressed.  The Prosac made me drowsy all the time.  I wasn't able to function as a normal teen because all I wanted to do was sleep.  When I was awake I was still depressed.  I told my mom, my counselor, and my physician about this.  The physician advised my mother if I was going to stop taking the Prosac I would have to be locked up in a mental institution.  I eventually stopped taking the meds behind my mother's back and when I had stopped for a month I told her.  When I was off the Prosac I still had ups and downs like any other teen, but things got better.  I at least felt normal.  I do think America is being overmedicated.  I think its a quick fix for Dr.s to just prescribe something.  A caution to parents: if the first thing your Dr. brings up is a type of drug to put your kids on, you need a new doctor.

September 28, 2005, 1:20 pm CDT

What does Tom Cruise's opinion have to do with anything.  I mean seriously, how much time does this man spend with his children.  Maybe someone should talk to his nanny about this situation.  I don't think I could medicate my son, but my son doesn't seem to have some problems that would make be think he should need it.  I am not saying I wouldn't check into finding out what was wrong if I felt my child was in need of medication.  I just can't imagine putting all those drugs into my child's system.  I may have a different opinion if I did have a child with a problem.  If he did  I want most definitely want more than one professional opinion and would check into other forms of solving the problem...medication would be the LAST resort.

September 28, 2005, 1:24 pm CDT

a simple idea

Hello everyone. Let me say first off, I'm sorry for all of your pain and hope that my post doesnt contribute to anymore for you.  Im not going to spout off about how others' should raise their children. Especially since I have none yet of my own. I am however a pediatric nurse in NY, so I was thinking perhaps I could clarify a few things, and ask a few Questions of all the parents who are having behavioral/emotional issues with children. My question is simply  this: What about holistic, natural approaches to mood elevation, and have you sat down and examined the childs Food intake? Most people dont realize children dont have the ability to break down sugar and caffeine like adults, it can make them act erratic, jumpy, nervous, irritable....lotsa symptoms that are found in ADD, ADHD, etc. Most parents arent aware of the negative effects of sugar and processed foods on behavior and mood....i think for some children a diet change would be as effective as medication.  

For others' a combination of the two could be quite positive. Perhaps worth a discussion about it with the childs' pediatrician at the least. It certainly couldnt hurt, and its not another medication. so if it doesnt work, nothing is lost.  

Good luck to you all and god bless.  

September 28, 2005, 1:28 pm CDT

Walk in my shoes for 20 years, Mr. Cruise

I've had fibromyalgia for almost 20 years with all its awful consequences. Add myofascial pain syndrome and degenerative joint disease, carpal tunnel syndrome, degenerative disk disease and the result is a life in excruciating and often exquisite, debilitating pain. 

People must realize that you have to shop for a good knowledgable Dr. who is expert in your particular problem and is willing to work with you to find coping solutions where cures aren't available. My Drs always discuss meds and their side effects and carefully follow my progress whenever a med change is in order. Patients are ultimately responsible for their care and must participate in the healing process - you just can't lay down and wait for help. Get a second opinion or a third. Be aware of  side effects and efficacy. All medicines are dangerous if not properly used. An activist attitude, good Drs, and a very supportive pair of kids have gotten me through what is often hell.

Time and happenstance will eventually catch up with  Mr. Cruise and I hope he has the good sense to get the best medical care he can find. He's going to need it. If he can get through cervical spine surgery without opioids I'll eat my computer.

September 28, 2005, 1:34 pm CDT

lets get past tom cruise and his opinion!!!!

the topic is not do we or do we not like tom cruise... the topic is these drugs and the bottom line is, Tom Cruise only spoke the truth!!!  these drugs are very very dangerous,  people put way to must trust in their Doctors and WHY ARE WE TREATING HORMONAL IMBALANCE WITH MIND ALTERING DRUGS!!!!!    SHOULDNT WE TREAT IT WITH HORMONES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 

First | Prev | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | Next | Last