Message Boards

Topic : 09/28 Overmedicating America: The Cruise Controversy

Number of Replies: 743
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, September 23, 2005, 04:45:47 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1

When Tom Cruise gave his opinion about the drugging of America, he created a firestorm of controversy. Are we an overmedicated nation? Dave and Jill feel as if their 7-year-old son is holding them hostage in their own home. He's on three medications, but his uncontrollable fits of rage are destroying their marriage. Is this a real medical issue or a parenting problem? Then, two women with powerful personal stories debate the "Cruise controversy." They both think their opinion is right, but what does Dr. Phil think? Plus, an outraged father confronts his ex-wife and demands that she stop medicating their 9-year-old son. Talk about the show here.

Find out what happened on the show.

More September 2005 Show Boards.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

September 26, 2005, 12:48 pm CDT

Wrong

Quote From: tammyo1973

What is a Chemical Imbalance?

Over the course of the last three decades much research into the origins of emotional distress and disturbances have led researchers to embrace “chemical imbalance” as the leading cause. Though the exact mechanisms linking chemical imbalances and common disorders like anxiety, depression and ADHD are not completely understood, clinical studies and medical observations have been able to identify a number of chemical inconsistencies that occur in individuals who report experiencing symptoms related to these disorders.  

Common chemical imbalances related to anxiety and depression related disorders that have been observed in clinical practice include: 

• Reduced availability of neurotransmitters like Serotonin, Dopamine, Norepinephrine, GABA and acetylcholine.
  • Increased levels of toxic neurochemicals such as Homocysteine
  • Lower levels of serum Magnesium, Zinc or Potassium
  • Unhealthy, or deficient levels of essential vitamins like B6, B9, B12 and Vitamin-C
  • Undersupply of key cofactors like amino acids that are used to help transport neurotransmitter precursors into the blood-brain barrier.
  • Increased cortisol stress hormone levels
I don't know where you get your information, but no one can check the levels of serotonin, norepinephrine or dopamine in the brain until an autopsy is done. Frankly, I'd rather not have to have an autopsy just to check my neurotransmitter levels.

September 26, 2005, 1:40 pm CDT

interview with Matt Lauer

Quote From: hepzibah

"I think Mr. Cruise was totally wrong for using his movie as a way to put down mental health. He is WRONG when he says there is no such thing as a chemical imbalance of the brain." 

When did he use the movie to put down mental health? 

He was on The Today Show promoting his movie and decided to use that as a way to put down Brooke Shields for he ruse of anti-depressants for treatment of post partum depression.  

and the information I got regarding chemical imbalance of the brain was from a website that I found while searching out chemical imbalances of the brain. 

September 26, 2005, 2:23 pm CDT

the head of the APA said there is no such thing as a chemical imbalance!!!

APA CHOKES ON ITS OWN "CHEMICAL IMBALANCE"

On CBS 2 on July 10, Dr. Mark Graff, Chair of the Committee of Public Affairs for the American Psychiatric Association (APA), was asked why the APA's president did a 180 degree turn on the existence of a "chemical imbalance" stating that, actually, there are no tests to substantiate this.  

Dr. Graff was even more inarticulate and blunt, stating: “Chemical imbalance…it’s a shorthand term really, it’s probably drug industry derived...We don’t have tests because to do it, you’d probably have to take a chunk of brain out of someone – not a good idea” but “I agree. There aren’t any blood tests” to determine any mental disorder.

September 26, 2005, 2:28 pm CDT

parents ask for FDA to send warnings

PARENTS ASK FDA TO SEND WARNING TO STOP “MISLEADING ADVERTISING” FOR “ADHD” STIMULANTS  

When the FDA recently issued warnings that stimulant drugs could cause violence, aggression and suicide, angry voices were raised. Too many parents are being told that their children’s depression or hyperactivity is because of a “chemical imbalance” or neurobiological disorder and that psychiatric “medication” is correcting it. Psychiatrists lie. There isn’t any proof. Yet based on this, millions of dollars is spent on advertising, PR news wires or on funding psychiatric front groups that forward this misinformation. The FDA has the power to stop misleading advertising.  

September 26, 2005, 2:35 pm CDT

09/28 Overmedicating America: The Cruise Controversy

Quote From: cingular

APA CHOKES ON ITS OWN "CHEMICAL IMBALANCE"

On CBS 2 on July 10, Dr. Mark Graff, Chair of the Committee of Public Affairs for the American Psychiatric Association (APA), was asked why the APA's president did a 180 degree turn on the existence of a "chemical imbalance" stating that, actually, there are no tests to substantiate this.  

Dr. Graff was even more inarticulate and blunt, stating: “Chemical imbalance…it’s a shorthand term really, it’s probably drug industry derived...We don’t have tests because to do it, you’d probably have to take a chunk of brain out of someone – not a good idea” but “I agree. There aren’t any blood tests” to determine any mental disorder.

There aren’t any blood tests” to determine any mental disorder. 

I agree with this statement, however there are mental disorders and most require some form of therapy be it medication or talk therapy to manage the illness.  Medication will not cure a mental disorder, but it can certainly help a person to live a fully functional life. 

JMO 

September 26, 2005, 3:11 pm CDT

He was on The Today Show promoting his movie and decided to use that as a way to put down Brooke Shields for he ruse of anti-depressants for treatment of post partum depression.  

and the information I got regarding chemical imbalance of the brain was from a website that I found while searching out chemical imbalances of the brain. 

You didn't say exactly how he used his movie "as a way to put down Brooke Shields...". 

Truth: He didn't use the movie as an opener to discuss the pseudo-science of psychiatry. 

The information you received about chemical imbalance is wrong. The website you saw was most likely sponsored by a pharmaceutical company. 

Truth: The "chemical imbalance" theory is just that, a theory. No test exists to support such a theory and there is no real conception of what a correct chemical balance would look like. 

Look for the money trail to determine who's telling the truth. There's no monetary benefit for people like Tom Cruise, Drs. Thomas Szasz, Peter Breggin, Joseph Glenmullen, Bob Whitaker and Anne Blake Tracy. They speak the truth. On the otherhand, all the pharmaceuticals giants have been making a killing from selling drugs that don't work for diseases that don't exist. And if the truth is known about the dangers of these drugs, these pharma giants could lose billions. 

September 26, 2005, 3:43 pm CDT

You're both right......

I am a 33 year old women. I have had two kids.  I did not really suffer post-partem depression, a little baby blues, but I know that many, many women do.  I was able to treat my mild blues with adequate rest, diet and exercise. I was put on both xanax and paxil for awhile and took myself off, cold turkey---yes, against medical advice.  Paxil is a horrible drug and should NOT be taken lightly.  I had electric shocks running thru my body while detoxing.  Admittedly, the detox was worse because it was cold turkey.  A couple of years after this I was put on zoloft because I was feeling blue, fatigued and anxious.  I had a horrible migraine, well, no surprise, I happened to take my blood pressure at the store...my blood pressure is CONSISTENTLY at 118/74, within 10 days of taking the zoloft my BP was a whopping 197/94!!!!!! 10 DAYS!!!!! I ignored my doctor advice to "stick it out" and quit immediately.  Turned out I was exhausted, I said I'm going to rest in bed all weekend, slept about 18 hours and, amazingly, the fatigue, depression and anxiousness completely disappered.  SO.....in defence of the overmedicating side----NOT of Tom Cruise---yes, I feel this country is way too quick to overmedicate, these medications carry significant side effects and should be given to kids only under the most extreme circumstances.  However, I don't feel it is fair to entirely blame the pharmacuetical companies. Of course, they carry a huge weight of responsibility, but that is like blaming McDonalds because you eat 3 Big Macs a week.  Americans need to retrain our way of thinking to learn about delayed gratfication. We are a very spoiled country and we are used to immediate results.  A pill provides results sooner than exercise and nutrition. We don't want to give up refined foods and chemical laden processed junk.  And we don't want to fight with our kids when they want to eat it.  I believe many children would behave far better, be calmer and more focused by simply removing refined sugars and flours, and chemicals from their diet. 

NOW.....that being said......my mother is 61 years old.  Not a "hormonal 14 year old girl". She is bi-polar.  And I challenge anyone who claims this is not a real disorder to live with an unmedicated bi-polar for one month.  Experience the extreme highs and lows, the rage, the beatings, the threats of suicide, the manipulations.  My mother was not medicated during my entire childhood. I am not going to go into the sordid details, but suffice it to say my upbringing was tumultous and ridden with abuse.  6 years ago my parents divorced, my mother had nowhere to go, she moved in with us, initially temporarily, she flew into a rage, pulled out a butcher knife and chased me around the house and into the street while my 6 year old watched.  She then hit the lows.....locked in a room crying saying it would be best to just kill herself, she would drive to woods to do it so my son wouldn't have to see her body.  After 5 trips to the ER and getting her on meds, getting the meds adjusted and getting her to stay on her meds, she is the mother I always wished I had.  My husband--who had NO experience with mental illness and believed things are in your head and attituded---invited her to live with us permanently.  She is a completely changed woman.  You ABSOLUTELY can NOT say there is no such thing as bi-polar if you have not FIRST HAND experienced the difference between a bipolar patient on and off the proper meds.  Yes, 14 year old girls are hormonal, I was hormonal and not always a pleasure to be around, but there is a significant difference. And there are indeed blood tests that can be performed to test for bi-polar.  

I know it sounds contridictory, but, yes, I do believe we overmedicate WAY TOO MUCH, and, yes, I do believe there are times that medication is absolutely a saving grace.  Think what you like, but if it was your mother, spouse, brother/sister, and you saw the difference I know you'd think so too.   

September 26, 2005, 4:05 pm CDT

thank you

Quote From: airport

I am a 33 year old women. I have had two kids.  I did not really suffer post-partem depression, a little baby blues, but I know that many, many women do.  I was able to treat my mild blues with adequate rest, diet and exercise. I was put on both xanax and paxil for awhile and took myself off, cold turkey---yes, against medical advice.  Paxil is a horrible drug and should NOT be taken lightly.  I had electric shocks running thru my body while detoxing.  Admittedly, the detox was worse because it was cold turkey.  A couple of years after this I was put on zoloft because I was feeling blue, fatigued and anxious.  I had a horrible migraine, well, no surprise, I happened to take my blood pressure at the store...my blood pressure is CONSISTENTLY at 118/74, within 10 days of taking the zoloft my BP was a whopping 197/94!!!!!! 10 DAYS!!!!! I ignored my doctor advice to "stick it out" and quit immediately.  Turned out I was exhausted, I said I'm going to rest in bed all weekend, slept about 18 hours and, amazingly, the fatigue, depression and anxiousness completely disappered.  SO.....in defence of the overmedicating side----NOT of Tom Cruise---yes, I feel this country is way too quick to overmedicate, these medications carry significant side effects and should be given to kids only under the most extreme circumstances.  However, I don't feel it is fair to entirely blame the pharmacuetical companies. Of course, they carry a huge weight of responsibility, but that is like blaming McDonalds because you eat 3 Big Macs a week.  Americans need to retrain our way of thinking to learn about delayed gratfication. We are a very spoiled country and we are used to immediate results.  A pill provides results sooner than exercise and nutrition. We don't want to give up refined foods and chemical laden processed junk.  And we don't want to fight with our kids when they want to eat it.  I believe many children would behave far better, be calmer and more focused by simply removing refined sugars and flours, and chemicals from their diet. 

NOW.....that being said......my mother is 61 years old.  Not a "hormonal 14 year old girl". She is bi-polar.  And I challenge anyone who claims this is not a real disorder to live with an unmedicated bi-polar for one month.  Experience the extreme highs and lows, the rage, the beatings, the threats of suicide, the manipulations.  My mother was not medicated during my entire childhood. I am not going to go into the sordid details, but suffice it to say my upbringing was tumultous and ridden with abuse.  6 years ago my parents divorced, my mother had nowhere to go, she moved in with us, initially temporarily, she flew into a rage, pulled out a butcher knife and chased me around the house and into the street while my 6 year old watched.  She then hit the lows.....locked in a room crying saying it would be best to just kill herself, she would drive to woods to do it so my son wouldn't have to see her body.  After 5 trips to the ER and getting her on meds, getting the meds adjusted and getting her to stay on her meds, she is the mother I always wished I had.  My husband--who had NO experience with mental illness and believed things are in your head and attituded---invited her to live with us permanently.  She is a completely changed woman.  You ABSOLUTELY can NOT say there is no such thing as bi-polar if you have not FIRST HAND experienced the difference between a bipolar patient on and off the proper meds.  Yes, 14 year old girls are hormonal, I was hormonal and not always a pleasure to be around, but there is a significant difference. And there are indeed blood tests that can be performed to test for bi-polar.  

I know it sounds contridictory, but, yes, I do believe we overmedicate WAY TOO MUCH, and, yes, I do believe there are times that medication is absolutely a saving grace.  Think what you like, but if it was your mother, spouse, brother/sister, and you saw the difference I know you'd think so too.   

I agree with your statements of over medicating but also NEEDING to medicate certain disorders such as bipolar. My daughter, like your mother was much worse before medicating her. Like I said in another post she may not be alive today if it weren't for her mood stabilizers and anti-pschotic medication. I do not treat her with medication to cure her illness, that will never be done but medicating her was the last attempt to give her somewhat of a normal childhood. I would not wish bipolar on any person BUT would NEVER wish for a parent to have to go through what I have been through with my daughter, who is not just a hormonal teenager. 

Now for myself when I had my second child I was diagnosed with post partum depression. This was after days and weeks of feeling helpless, not being able to sleep, crying all day long, and the worst feeling in the world HATING my baby. I was put on a low dose of CELEXA. It was wonderful once it was working, which can take up to 4 weeks. I was able to love this child I waited 11 years to have. I was able to sleep and stoppped crying all day long.  

These disorders can be hard for someone who has not lived it themselves or with a family member to understand, but they are very real to the people who deal with them on a daily basis. 

Tammy 

September 26, 2005, 4:12 pm CDT

at this point...

Quote From: hepzibah

You didn't say exactly how he used his movie "as a way to put down Brooke Shields...". 

Truth: He didn't use the movie as an opener to discuss the pseudo-science of psychiatry. 

The information you received about chemical imbalance is wrong. The website you saw was most likely sponsored by a pharmaceutical company. 

Truth: The "chemical imbalance" theory is just that, a theory. No test exists to support such a theory and there is no real conception of what a correct chemical balance would look like. 

Look for the money trail to determine who's telling the truth. There's no monetary benefit for people like Tom Cruise, Drs. Thomas Szasz, Peter Breggin, Joseph Glenmullen, Bob Whitaker and Anne Blake Tracy. They speak the truth. On the otherhand, all the pharmaceuticals giants have been making a killing from selling drugs that don't work for diseases that don't exist. And if the truth is known about the dangers of these drugs, these pharma giants could lose billions. 

I will be the bigger and better person here and say I agree to disagree with you. 

I think Tom Cruise was wrong to even mention psychiatry while promoting a movie.  I think I could say the same thing to you regarding your statement on theory's..   

Talk to people who live with illnesses such as bipolar and schitzoprenia, try telling them they do not need to medicate to be able to function. If you have not lived with someone who has a mental illness it may be hard for you to grasp the fact that if medications, like everything else is taken in moderation and monitored they can be very useful.  

Would you tell a diabetic not to give themselves an insulin shot? Probably not so why tell me not to medicate myself or my daughter? 

Thank you for letting me see your opinion, that is what each of us are entitled to, it doesn't make you or I wrong.  

Tammy  

September 26, 2005, 5:07 pm CDT

I will be the bigger and better person here and say I agree to disagree with you. 

I think Tom Cruise was wrong to even mention psychiatry while promoting a movie.  I think I could say the same thing to you regarding your statement on theory's..   

Talk to people who live with illnesses such as bipolar and schitzoprenia, try telling them they do not need to medicate to be able to function. If you have not lived with someone who has a mental illness it may be hard for you to grasp the fact that if medications, like everything else is taken in moderation and monitored they can be very useful.  

Would you tell a diabetic not to give themselves an insulin shot? Probably not so why tell me not to medicate myself or my daughter? 

Thank you for letting me see your opinion, that is what each of us are entitled to, it doesn't make you or I wrong.  

Tammy  

There's no reason for anyone to imagine themselves a "bigger and better" person. And there's no reason to get defensive. Are you afraid of the facts? 

Did your doctor give you that spiel about the diabetes comparison? That's what we've all heard. But that's comparing apples to oranges. Diabetes is a pathological disease, mental illness is not. One can have a test to determine insulin problems. Again, there are no tests to determine mental illnesses. One simply has to meet certain criteria in the DSM to determine a mental disorder. This is unreliable and subjective. 

You said: 

"Probably not so why tell me not to medicate myself or my daughter?" 

If you'll read carefully my previous posts, at no time did I tell you or anyone not to medicate yourselves. 

Good day to you. 

And to the person who wrote that there is indeed a blood test for bipolar, I'd like to see this test. 

Patients taking drugs for the so-called bipolar, such as Depakote and Lithium, often times need to have blood work done regularly to make sure that they are metabolizing the drugs. Is this what you meant? 

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | Next | Last