Message Boards

Topic : 09/28 Overmedicating America: The Cruise Controversy

Number of Replies: 743
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, September 23, 2005, 04:45:47 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1

When Tom Cruise gave his opinion about the drugging of America, he created a firestorm of controversy. Are we an overmedicated nation? Dave and Jill feel as if their 7-year-old son is holding them hostage in their own home. He's on three medications, but his uncontrollable fits of rage are destroying their marriage. Is this a real medical issue or a parenting problem? Then, two women with powerful personal stories debate the "Cruise controversy." They both think their opinion is right, but what does Dr. Phil think? Plus, an outraged father confronts his ex-wife and demands that she stop medicating their 9-year-old son. Talk about the show here.

Find out what happened on the show.

More September 2005 Show Boards.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

September 26, 2005, 5:29 pm CDT

blood tests..

Quote From: hepzibah

There's no reason for anyone to imagine themselves a "bigger and better" person. And there's no reason to get defensive. Are you afraid of the facts? 

Did your doctor give you that spiel about the diabetes comparison? That's what we've all heard. But that's comparing apples to oranges. Diabetes is a pathological disease, mental illness is not. One can have a test to determine insulin problems. Again, there are no tests to determine mental illnesses. One simply has to meet certain criteria in the DSM to determine a mental disorder. This is unreliable and subjective. 

You said: 

"Probably not so why tell me not to medicate myself or my daughter?" 

If you'll read carefully my previous posts, at no time did I tell you or anyone not to medicate yourselves. 

Good day to you. 

And to the person who wrote that there is indeed a blood test for bipolar, I'd like to see this test. 

Patients taking drugs for the so-called bipolar, such as Depakote and Lithium, often times need to have blood work done regularly to make sure that they are metabolizing the drugs. Is this what you meant? 

I never spoke of blood tests but to answer your question my daughter does have blood tests every 4 weeks to make fure her depakote levels are within therapuetic range. 

No the doctor did not give me the spiel about diabetes and no I am not afraid of the facts. 

I just choose not to defend my daughter's "so called bipolar" to people like you who do not seem to understand its affects on a person and their family. 

Good day 

September 26, 2005, 6:36 pm CDT

What are we holding on to

I have/had bipolar, and years ago was also diagnosed with schizophrenia.  Got real bad with a post-partum flip out that was never diagnosed until I clued in several years later that I was depressed and probably psychotic.  Been on most drugs and orthomolecular medicine, as well as most other alternative treatments.

Everyday people disagree with us, so why is this topic so hot? If you think its garbage, let it go.  If you see a hint of truth, investigate.  Personally, I agree with Tom Cruise; not that meds don't have their place, especially in emergencies.  At one time the orthomolecular model sounded like gibberish, until I started to read the science behind it and found it made a lot of sense.

My last shrink, a paid spokesperson for Astra-Zeneca, told me several years ago, there is no such thing as a chemical imbalance.  The researchers noticed that drugs effect certain neurotransmitters, so they used assumed the disorder is caused by an imbalance of transmitters.  They have never, and can never actually measure a neurotransmitter.

Assume for a moment there is a chemical imbalance.  First year medical school teaches that neurotransmitters (as ALL bodily processes) are manufactured in the body from vitamins, minerals and amino acids taken in by our diet and processed in our digestive and metabolic system.  This knowledge seems to get lost further into medical training.  The balance of these vitamins, etc. can be measured and tested with accuracy to determine where the metabolism is out of whack.  There are very specific imbalance patterns behind behavioural issues.  Appropriate vitamins/minerals/neurotransmitters/enzymes are then taken to balance out the imbalance.  This is orthomolecular medicine - with a strong scientific basis with over 50 years of serious research.  It is not fluff.  And it canhave good results. And even then, sometimes meds are still needed for the final bit of balance.

This whole idea of attacking Tom Cruise for saying vitamins, excercise and prayer can treat mental illness.  Why is that so threatening? Why are we holding on so tight to the medical model as if our life depended on it?  On the off-chance there is even a bit of truth in what he is saying, isn't it better to truly listen and understand and investigate past the 2 second sound bytes, and maybe we and our family members can recover just a little bit more? 

Isn't recovery, where ever it leads us, more important than holding on to an opinion? 
Why do we need to attack someone for their personal choices at all?

September 27, 2005, 3:47 am CDT

Drug co's

I want to thank Tom for speaking out for those of us who have no voice when we have been harmed and treated like cash cow guinea pigs for the sake of big profits. 

Take a look at any TV show anymore and the ads for more poisons to alter and disrupt our lives and health at the sake of profits.  

I was in the medical field for over 22 years and found out the hard way how little we are told about the toxic poisons they push on us as being safe. 

Thank you Tom and others who try to get the word out. 

Why would any of these shows tell the "truth" on these legal (sic) drug pushers when they are filling the payrolls and pockets of the future wealthy. 

I am so sick from taking meds I was told were safe, for 6 months. At 3 years off all poisons I can hardly function or live any kind of normal life and they still tell me to this day, it was not the drugs. Well what was it then? I was fine before I  took them and now have payed a price beyond any suffering. 

I refuse to buy into the brain washing anymore and will never, I mean NEVER put another toxic poison into my mouth. 

No Russian Roulette for me. Once was more than enough to convince me there is no good in serving those who harm us. I tend to think this starts in White house and filters on down to those who only "pratice medicine" and are suppose to do no harm...Ha what a joke. I still have liver pains and can barely move let alone have any kind of life. And not to forget my hair came out in hand fulls and the rashes and blisters I have endured is beyond words. 

My best to all of you who are asleep in this madness, I will remain Sleepless in the human race and will not stop till there is an end to this systematic harming of healthy intellegent people who are reduced to disabled infants at the sake of profits. May you all have dished out this poison have your day. 

September 27, 2005, 6:23 am CDT

09/28 Overmedicating America: The Cruise Controversy

kids taking drugs are only Guinee Pigs. You will find no childrens doses on these "medicines", as there are none. Its all guesswork.

September 27, 2005, 7:06 am CDT

all medicine is , is guesswork... science.

Quote From: pokerstack

kids taking drugs are only Guinee Pigs. You will find no childrens doses on these "medicines", as there are none. Its all guesswork.

My daughter takes a medication and she is monitored monthly to make sure the level of medication in her blood strem is at a certain level. If it goes below level they raise the medication if it goes above level they lower the medication. SO far she is the best she has ever been and can have some sort of "normalcy" to her childhood. 

Like I said before unless you have a child who has been through what my daughter has been through you may not understand. What a lot of people seem to forget is that these doctors just don't put these kids on medication. At least my doctor didn't. It was months and months of treating her before we started using medications. It was only then that she started to stabilize. 

I understand people who do not believe in the use of meds for children, but there are also those out there that have tried EVERYTHING and nothing helped but these medications. I am one of those parents/ I think it is a shame that people have to continually bash people for trying to help their kids. Do you think I want my daughter to live like this? Just because she is on medications doesn't mean I am wrong or a bad parent. You would do whatever it takes to help your children. THats all I am doing. 

September 27, 2005, 7:41 am CDT

Meds are good to bring it under control; however,

Drugs are for helping us get whatever it is under control.  If it were drugs for AIDS or Diabetes or Cancer - then it's a life time commitment.  However, in the mental health area, I know that as a diagnosed Bipolar & ADD adult, my MOMENT came when I tested to be a volunteer for a new Bipolar med.  I was manic and failed to get into the program; however, it was the Doctor's words:  I WOULD KNOW WHEN TO ADMIT MYSELF that was the turning point in my life.  If I could know this, then I was capable of knowing when I needed to increase my meds which lead me to learning when those times happen.  As a person who journals, I was able to see patterns in my behavior.    

I quickly learned that all of my episodes were directly related to NOT HANDLING A LIFE EVENT properly.  I didn't have the necessary tools so I went after them.  I also developed inner self tools like my bubble ride down a really slow river to helpl bring my manics to a closure.   I've been working on the depressive side for years.  I'm now at the place where I know that my behavior is just a habit and I'm working slowly at stepping out and away from it now.  It's taken me over 13 years to get here.  In fact, to day is my anniversary date - in the wee early hours between today & tomorrow, 14 years ago, I was in a supreme manic, no sleep for 2 weeks, my thoughts racing, and I wanted to die.   I laid their crying and thinking of how I was going to do it. Instead, I made a promise to change everything about me because I knew that what I had been taught was all wrong! 

Between 1989 and 1995, I was on lithium.  Every 3 months I went for blood work and every so often, my thyroid would flair up. They blew it off.   Well, It's 10 years later and I was diagnosed HYPERTHRYOIDISM in June of 2003.  I know there's a direct link and now, I'm facing the killing of it because nobody thought to take notice of it back then.    

I'm a firm believer that meds are there to help us when we are in need; however, I also believe that most mental illness is a direct result of us not understanding the world around us or knowing how to deal with life.  I understand so much more now that I've done Self Matter's.  I understand how I got so sidetracked as a child.   

September 27, 2005, 11:23 am CDT

Overmedication...

The biggest problem with this topic is that everyone is looking for the 'quick fix' answer... 

1) Yes : this nation is so big into having our problems solved without an excessive amount of effort that we over-medicate massively... especially children. 

2) Yes : there should be grave concerns focused on the pharmecudical companies, given the importance of ethical behavior in the fields that they work in and the apparent lack of ethics and good sense they have shown. 

3) YES : THERE ARE CONDITIONS THAT EXIST WHICH REQUIRE PHARMACEUDICAL INTERVENTION.   

As far as I'm concerned, Tom Cruise made a complete idiot of himself by expressing ANY opinion regarding someone else's circumstances.  What Brooke Shields needs to address problems that she faces is between Brooke and the medical professionals who advise her.   

Regarding the mother of the 14-year old: you proceed as you think best.  If following your doctor's advice has produced a better quality of life for your daughter and those around her, then you've done right by your daughter.  These issues must be brought up so that we are aware of them and deal with them inteligently, but none of us should even think of passing judgement on the situation of any other person.   

As for Psychiatry, it is the same as Medicine: there's a lot of 'art' involved.  If approached with the right moral and ethical attitude, psychiatrists are valuable professionals who give us insight not only to people with serious mental conditions, but to the normal behaviors that we all engage in.  The results of their efforts can be the most liberating advancement of the modern age, if we keep them in context. 

There are people who need that kind of help.  I'm not about to suggest that they avoid it. 

September 27, 2005, 12:02 pm CDT

You are awesome..

Quote From: quietgoth

The biggest problem with this topic is that everyone is looking for the 'quick fix' answer... 

1) Yes : this nation is so big into having our problems solved without an excessive amount of effort that we over-medicate massively... especially children. 

2) Yes : there should be grave concerns focused on the pharmecudical companies, given the importance of ethical behavior in the fields that they work in and the apparent lack of ethics and good sense they have shown. 

3) YES : THERE ARE CONDITIONS THAT EXIST WHICH REQUIRE PHARMACEUDICAL INTERVENTION.   

As far as I'm concerned, Tom Cruise made a complete idiot of himself by expressing ANY opinion regarding someone else's circumstances.  What Brooke Shields needs to address problems that she faces is between Brooke and the medical professionals who advise her.   

Regarding the mother of the 14-year old: you proceed as you think best.  If following your doctor's advice has produced a better quality of life for your daughter and those around her, then you've done right by your daughter.  These issues must be brought up so that we are aware of them and deal with them inteligently, but none of us should even think of passing judgement on the situation of any other person.   

As for Psychiatry, it is the same as Medicine: there's a lot of 'art' involved.  If approached with the right moral and ethical attitude, psychiatrists are valuable professionals who give us insight not only to people with serious mental conditions, but to the normal behaviors that we all engage in.  The results of their efforts can be the most liberating advancement of the modern age, if we keep them in context. 

There are people who need that kind of help.  I'm not about to suggest that they avoid it. 

I just wanted to say that I wish I could write as well as you do. You said everything that I try to say but I guess I do not come across the way you have put it out there. 

THank you. 

I just wanted to add that my daughter is not only on medications. She is also involved in talk therapy. A form of therapy called cognitive behavioral therapy. She has to work very hard everyday with coping skills and such that she learns from therapy. This is not just about giving her a pill and thinking that is all we need to do. I know you aren;t saying that is what I am doing. I just saw where you said quick fixes and it reminded me to add that :) 

THis by no means has been anything quick. It has been over 2 years since my journey began and we still battle it eveyday. 

Again thank you. 

Tammy 

September 27, 2005, 12:02 pm CDT

going thru withdrawal

Did I need Paxil to survive? YES! I stopped cutting and stopped trying to take my own life. I stopped trying to wreck my car, stopped drinking until I was toxically sick - I stopped trying to die. And yes, I did try the diet/exercise route. It didn't work. It led to further self-image obsessions. So to keep me alive I went on Paxil. Now I'm trying to get off of it, after years of medication and therapy, and more than a little prayer. It is the hardest thing I've had to do. The withdrawal symptoms are hardly worth the freedom to think for myself again. But I will endure! Why?? Because it is time to get off the medication. I am angry that no one told me about the terrible withdrawal. I am angry that no one thought it was worth mentioning that the symptoms that put me on the meds would return during withdrawal.  Do I regret staying alive by going on the drugs in the first place? NO! I'm alive. There is no price for life. As to Tom Cruise, why do we take the view of a celebrity to have any value just because they are a celebrity????

September 27, 2005, 12:07 pm CDT

To Tammyo1973

You have my deepest sympathies, Sweetheart. I know that you are doing the best you can to take care of your family. Your daughter is lucky to have a parent who is willing to notice and give a da$% whether she lives or dies. She is very blessed.  

I can only offer this : THOSE WHO WERE SEEN DANCING WERE THOUGHT TO BE INSANE BY THOSE WHO COULD NOT HEAR THE MUSIC. 

No one walks your walk. We all do the best we can with what we have. If ever you need a voice of support, you have it.  

Kathleen 

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | Next | Last