Message Boards

Topic : 08/24 The Family Cult

Number of Replies: 262
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, September 30, 2005, 03:30:22 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1

(Original Air Date: 10/03/05) Imagine growing up in a cult where you are forced to have sex with strangers -- when you’re as young as 5. Dr. Phil talks to people who escaped the group known as the Children of God, and need help moving on. Meet a daughter who says she can’t forgive her father for the years of painful abuse she suffered at the hands of this cult. How can she reconnect with her dad and start trusting again? Plus, China and her husband, John, are building a new life after leaving the group, where they were forced to have sex with strangers when they were both underage. They’ve had a difficult time adjusting to the outside world, and China wonders if she should prosecute her parents for abuse. What does Dr. Phil think? Talk about the show here.

Find out what happened on the show.

More August 2006 Show Boards.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

October 1, 2005, 2:06 pm CDT

The Family; Above the law???

I heard something very shocking recently about this cult; apparently if a member of the cult wishes to report any crime perpetrated by another member then the member who witnessed or was victim to the crime must leave the cult!!  

A friend of mine dug this up for me when I told him I was going to post: http://www.xfamily.org/images/c/c5/CharterAmendments.pdf they actually have it in writing, at the end of section 27 - page 52 

October 1, 2005, 7:11 pm CDT

10/03 The Family Cult

Quote From: markthom

I heard something very shocking recently about this cult; apparently if a member of the cult wishes to report any crime perpetrated by another member then the member who witnessed or was victim to the crime must leave the cult!!  

A friend of mine dug this up for me when I told him I was going to post: http://www.xfamily.org/images/c/c5/CharterAmendments.pdf they actually have it in writing, at the end of section 27 - page 52 

That's just the beginning of it. Apparently these guys have been underground for over 30 years only popping up once in a while to defend themselves from bad press. I can't wait to see this show, this is a group that's gotta go!

October 1, 2005, 8:26 pm CDT

Ergo

Right! The society at large equivalent of The Family's policy would be to say to a victim of a crime "you can report the crime, but to do so you will have to give up your home, your job, your friends, your family, your school, the deepest expression of your religion, and start from zero in a new culture." The Family does this so they can say with a straight face "we encourage our members to report crimes." Meanwhile they can rest assured that they have made it nearly impossible to actually do so.

October 1, 2005, 9:16 pm CDT

10/03 The Family Cult

Yes actually! I'm a 26 year old second generation former member of TFI who left the group six years ago.  

My brother was kicked out of his home when he was 14 for merely being a witness to an assault case that another teenager had filed against one of the adult members in that home. At the time he was in the process of rejoining the cult so that he could be close to his personal family after being completely kicked out of the group at the age of twelve for supposedly being an instrument of the devil. All he did was stand up for himself and others when he saw all the crap that was going on(he also wore a hand-made cloth cross around his neck that certain leaders said was carrying demon spirits.) 

Anyway, I don't know what it's like now but I'm sure that if any current member tried to pursue legal action against another member they would immediately be black listed as a divider of the close brotherhood of TFI and would probably leave of their own volition, or at least be strongly pressured to do so. 

We are talking about an organization that takes an attack on one as an attack on many, which explains why they haven't turned over child molesters to authorities for prosecution(it doesn't help that their direct leadership is also culpable). This all for one mentality that we were raised with since infancy is really a fine example of the oppression of free will; if one cannot decide for themselves what is right or wrong, then one loses their free will. What was right is whatever the cult told us was right. I'm thankful now that I know better. 

The family is what I like to term a fatalistic cult: They view themselves as the leaders in the biblical end times and ultimately the chosen people of god. They were even more fatalistic 20 years ago when they really didn't imagine that their second generation members were ever going to grow up and get smart, teenagers between the ages of 11 and 14 are given the acronym JETT's(Junior End Time Teens.) simply because they viewed us as being their shining light in the last days of the world before the coming of Christ. It isn't hard to imagine that such a cult, with such a high opinion of itself, would care very little or nothing for the legal system, or the psychological implications that go hand in hand with the abuse that those of my generation encountered. It is simply a matter of accountability and TFI's lack of it in the crucial time that me and my peers were growing up. 

I can't remember where I heard or read it, but I once learned that the mark of a person who never grew up is when they ignore a problem or uncomfortable situation in the hope that it'll go away. The Family is an organization that is still trying to be those fun-loving hippies who never grew up, and as a consequence their word means nothing. Until TFI takes action that is indicative of a responsible religious organization neither I nor any free willed individual in the world will see them as anything less then a manipulative cult.  

October 2, 2005, 4:03 am CDT

10/03 The Family Cult

Quote From: drcoosa

Right! The society at large equivalent of The Family's policy would be to say to a victim of a crime "you can report the crime, but to do so you will have to give up your home, your job, your friends, your family, your school, the deepest expression of your religion, and start from zero in a new culture." The Family does this so they can say with a straight face "we encourage our members to report crimes." Meanwhile they can rest assured that they have made it nearly impossible to actually do so.

Maybe you should read the document a little bit more in detail, it says that for the duration of the proceedings those wishing to prosecute need to leave the CM circle. It doesn't state anything about the FM circle so I'm guessing that you can remain a FM member.  

I thought I'd point that out. Always read the fine print. 

October 2, 2005, 4:18 am CDT

Chill

Um I hate to break it to you ex cultists but it's just a TV show.  Chill out 

October 2, 2005, 6:07 am CDT

Hard to chill

Quote From: joneses

Its hard to chill as you suggest when so many children have been so badly hurt, check out any of these videos here:  

http://www.xfamily.org/index.php/Category:Video_Archives 

Also did you realise that they have a front charity operating in San Diego: www.familycare.org  

October 2, 2005, 6:15 am CDT

10/03 The Family Cult

Maybe you should read the document a little bit more in detail, it says that for the duration of the proceedings those wishing to prosecute need to leave the CM circle. It doesn't state anything about the FM circle so I'm guessing that you can remain a FM member.  

I thought I'd point that out. Always read the fine print. 

Actually, the Family's June 2003 amendments to the Right of Redress and Rights of Children sections of its Charter state  that if a member takes any legal action, inclduing reporting alleged child abuse, against a member in good standing,  the member must leave the organization entirely until the matter is resolved. In those cases there is no option to move to a different membership status.  On the other hand, if  a member takes legal action against someone who has been excommunicated (it should also be noted that the Family's official policy is to  only excommunicate people found to have abused children after December 1988)  for child abuse, the policy requires the member to move to a lower committment membership status such as FM (although my understanding is that the CM and FM membership statuses have since been replaced with different ones).  In many jurisdictions in the United States and other countries, it is a crime, punishable by incarceration and fines, for anyone to fail to report reasonably suspected child abuse to law enforcement and child welfare agencies.  However, the Family's policies requires those who refuse to commit a crime to leave the group.  It reminds me of another group that also calls itself a "Family" and has a similar criminal code of silence.

October 2, 2005, 7:37 am CDT

makes me sick!!!!

I can't imagine even how these people have the name "children of god" god's children yes we all are but the parents of these kids are devils that is plain to see.Forcing their beautiful children to have sex with strangers?Are you kidding me and where does god play into this ?Need help moving on you bet they do from these fools that they call parents.Threre is no way parents who love their children would ever do this to their own kids.These are monsters not parents they should be in jail for something like this. 

the young girl that wants to reconnect with her dad ,how can she if he's still in this cult?Is he i wonder still involved if so run honey as fast as you can don't look back either.If she left which she must have to begin with if she;s looking to reconnect with him ,she must know he was wrong so don't even look back keep going honey!!! 

China &John, you left well good for you just to bad it was so late in coming.That is probably why you have such a hard time adapting to the outside world.Well this is the real world and i hope you do procecute your parents for what they did .I know abuse and i will say i wouldn't tolerate it one day longer enough said that.So China &john if you decide to have children one day or if you already do, please keep out here don't bring them back into the hell of that cult that is not the work of god for sure and if anyone believes it is well your definitely foolish. 

October 2, 2005, 7:43 am CDT

jonese

um i hate to break it to you but this sort of thing goes on in real life .Where are you from outer space?Do you honestly think Dr.Phil would do a show about this sort of thing if it was just a "TV SHOW" ? I highly doubt it.or your really ignorant to the fact this goes on everyday so why not make people aware of this sort of garbage .Your way off on this one .It doesn't even make sense "break it to you excultists its just  a tv show" what the heck does that mean?Oh no by the way i never was never will be a member so i'm a true blue catholic and love every minute of it so don't even go down that road .Good day to you.

First Page | Previous Page | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Next | Last