Message Boards

Topic : 06/06 "I'm Gay, OK?"

Number of Replies: 4125
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, October 14, 2005, 03:56:41 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1

(Original Air Date: 10/19/05) Sexual orientation used to be something kept hidden from family and co-workers, but now more and more people are "coming out" and finding acceptance. Anjela says her mother and sister don't support her sexual orientation, and feel she can't be Christian and gay at the same time. Can they reconcile this touchy issue? Then, two men debate whether a person can go from gay to straight, and parents of a 4-year-old boy fear their son's desire to play with dolls and wear heels means he'll grow up to be gay. Are they overreacting to his wishes to be a princess instead of a prince? Talk about gender and gay issues here.

Find out what happened on the show.

More June 2006 Show Boards.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

October 15, 2005, 11:47 pm CDT

Ex-Gays? There are none!

I wondered when Dr. Phil would be getting around to this subject. I have been following the history and activities of Exodus International since it began in an Assembly of God in Anaheim, CA in the latter 1970s. More than a dozen years later, one of the co-founders of the group, originally just called "Exodus," left the proverbial closet and admitted that nobody's sexual orientation had been changed in the organization's programs and not even God had changed anyone's sexual orientation from being exclusively homosexual to being exclusively heterosexual.  

If you ask a so-called "ex-gay" about his physiological (that's down below the belt behind the public bone area where they happen) sexual attraction sensations which proved he was homosexual before he "became and ex-gay" and if those same sensations still happen directed at a member of the same sex close by and he says they do, he is still a homosexual. If his sexual orientation was really changed by God, Jesus, and/or the Holy Spirit, he would no longer experience same-gender physiological sexual attractions.  

I am sort of an ex-ex-gay. While I did not go through and Exodus program, I still tried to do things their way and I even had people agree in prayer with me that God would change my sexual orientation. God answered their other prayers for me; so, I know that it was not a lack of faith on their part and He answered my prayers for them. So, don't say I did not believe God would not change my sexual orientation from exclusively homosexual to exclusively heterosexual. I believe that with God everything is possible; but, not everything with him is probable.  

I stopped being in denial of my homosexuality in 1984 and God found a way to get me out of the closet. How He did that is a story in itself and how He outed me to myself in personal conversation with Him is part of the story of my self-acceptance and knowing that I am still a Believer in Jesus the Christ. I am almost 63 and I got saved at 8 years old.  

October 15, 2005, 11:56 pm CDT

Or how about this?

Quote From: ykz_pilot

You're right.  God loves all His children.  He loves them so much He wants the best for them, and has a plan for each one.  And whenever He came across people He loved them, and said "go and sin no more".  He never once said - you can continue to sin, and ruin my plan for you. 

We live in a world that thumbs their nose at God and defiles His name every day.  We slaughter His children by the very hands that were entrusted to care for these babies.  Doctors kill babies for money.  Parents destroy their offspring and blessings.  God is mocked in movies and classrooms.  Purity and Holiness (what God calls all His children to) are spit on and children are encouraged to fornicate.   People who should be role models are impure and vile.  Their perversions prevent them from standing up for what is right.  Their hearts are far from God.   

No wonder Jesus said about heaven ... "few will find it".  Read the impure posts here, and the hatred towards everything holy and good.   

The only hatred here is towards the Majesty of a Holy God. 

Don't pretend you are a Chirstian if you condone homosexual activity.  It just proves you know nothing about scripture and less about YHWH. 

Forget religion. Forget societal pressures. Forget stereotypes. Now look at someone else. Look at a gay, straight, bisexual, white, black, yellow, fat, skinny, diseased, healthy, rich, poor, single, or partnered person. Do they still feel? Do they still love? Do they still share over 99% of their genetic material with us? Yes. We're all people. Respect yourself and everyone around you, or you can be darn sure others won't respect you. 

On a side note: I'm cool with religion. I don't mind other people having a different belief system than mine. What I can't stand for is people spouting off their ideals and demanding that everyone ascribe to the same beliefs as them. Please be considerate of the diversity of people who come here. Not everyone believes in your deity, and some do not believe in deities at all. There are other ways of stating your beliefs, comments, ideas, and criticisms than by insulting and mocking. 

October 16, 2005, 12:16 am CDT

Did you know?

Quote From: riviera

I think being gay is genetic but not a good thing. I don't think it is normal or should ever be considered normal but a biological defect like mental illness. As so many people say they wouldn't choose it .  

A lot of people have experimented with bi-sexuality in their youth thinking gay sex is ok.  

I think if you are gay "that's nice" but I really don't care what you do in private.  I would like to know why so many married men go to parks to pay for sex with underage boys/ 

Homosexual folks are pretty consistent in populations world-wide. No matter what country you look at, which belief system people belong to, population size, and whatever other factors you can think of... it's always around 10% of the population that is homosexual. It is normal. Whether you like it or not, it's a natural thing to happen. It's not only a strictly human phenomenon either. Did you know that at certain temperatures you can make groups of male flies form long mating chains? Did you know that there are species of fish and other organisms that can alter their sex to accomodate their community? Ever seen a hermaphroditic banana slug mate with another of its kind, then watch them each chew off the other's penile projection so the other can't mate again? Nature is full of fun quirks, and homosexuality is one of them. 

So what if we don't know what causes it. We'll figure it out someday. Most scientists are split between whether it's caused by environmental pressures or genetic changes. Nature vs. nurture. Homosexuality is a fact of life, and for anyone to deny that is just completely silly.  

Even more silly is for someone to think that their beliefs should come before personal freedom, equality, and respect for our fellows. Marriage should be something that anyone can participate in. It's a union between two people who love each other. I know that's beside the point, but it is very important.  

October 16, 2005, 4:37 am CDT

whatever

God doesn't hate the gays he hates the act that they engage in the same way he hates any sex before marriage.Lets look at the word orientation for a moment ..what does it mean.If someone says they have an orientation to go to, it means they are going to a class to learn something. Can someone tell me then how the words (sexual orientation) applies to a decision someone made.

October 16, 2005, 5:27 am CDT

"Bisexuality"

Recently my 15 yo son came 1/2 way out of the closet by saying that he is "bisexual".  This wasnt surprising to me at all because I have been prepared for him to tell me that he was "gay" since he was 3 yrs old.  What concerns me is the kids at school.  I have told him that I dont care who he shares this information but was afraid that the homophobic males will hear that he is "gay" and not "bi".  Guess what, someone in one of his classes had access to the chalkboard prior to my sons arrival and wrote, "Trevor's Gay".  He told me what happened in class afterward and my heart broke that he wasnt ready for this.  Im SCARED of what the future holds for him while he figures it all out.   

By the way, Im not a believer of the "bisexual" sexuality.  Either you are or your not! 

October 16, 2005, 5:33 am CDT

Homosexualality

Quote From: tulseyjoe

Dack Rambo was bisexual. I saw him on a show hosted by Pat Boone and Boone tried to put words into his mouth. Rambo's sexual orientation did not change after he became a Christian. I found out about his not being exclusively heterosexual when he went cruising for same-gender sexual activity in a large Park in the San Fernando Valley of Los Angeles.  

On Boone's show, he refused to say negative things about gays. 

Homosexualality is against God's holy word.  God didn't make gay people when he created Adam and Eve.  That is man's choice which is condemed by God. 

Kdaniels1 

October 16, 2005, 6:02 am CDT

10/19 "I'm Gay, OK?"

Quote From: irishmom

The Bible CLEARLY states that homosexuality is a sin.  However, the Bible also clearly states that we should love EVERYONE, as does Jesus.  There were many people in Biblical times that sinned, but Jesus himself said, "He who is without sin, let him cast the first stone".  I do not agree with homosexuality, but I have my own sins to worry about.  Who am I to judge another when I walk imperfectly?  If one of my children were to come to me and tell me they were gay, I would be very sad for them (for many reasons, not just because of the fact that they are gay, but because it is such a hard lifestyle to live, in part because of all the hatred toward them), but I would LOVE them NO differently.   So-called Christians who HATE gays and treat them unkindly are not Christians at all in my opinion. 

I agree with you on that the bible clearly states that homosexuality is sin but Christ does condem them as well.  Granted he loves all but he will judge all as well.  We as true Christian need to reach out to all mankind as Christ did.  Gen Chp. 1 clearly condems along with other verses in the bible about being gay.  People who say they are Christian and still gay aren't and that is a fair statement because of the bible.  How can you be Christian and still gay.  It like comparing an apple and and orange.  I am against gays action not them, just like Christ. 

kdaniels1 

October 16, 2005, 6:15 am CDT

Quote From: riviera

I think being gay is genetic but not a good thing. I don't think it is normal or should ever be considered normal but a biological defect like mental illness. As so many people say they wouldn't choose it .  

A lot of people have experimented with bi-sexuality in their youth thinking gay sex is ok.  

I think if you are gay "that's nice" but I really don't care what you do in private.  I would like to know why so many married men go to parks to pay for sex with underage boys/ 

Being gay is not gentic.  No Dr. has proven that unless they themselves are perverted.  Being gay is a choice.  You have the choice to do what you will. 

kdaniels1 

October 16, 2005, 7:42 am CDT

Being GAY

Quote From: dbeland

God doesn't hate the gays he hates the act that they engage in the same way he hates any sex before marriage.Lets look at the word orientation for a moment ..what does it mean.If someone says they have an orientation to go to, it means they are going to a class to learn something. Can someone tell me then how the words (sexual orientation) applies to a decision someone made.
Who cares about other peoples sex life.  Those who are so worried should get a life.  My youngest child (a son) is gay and one of the greatest people on GODS earth.  God does not hate anyone.  My son did not choose to be gay GOD made him that way just like some people have darker brown skin than others.  I have hazel eyes.  What color are yours?

October 16, 2005, 7:51 am CDT

Regarding boys and dolls

You can no more exstablish a boy's future sexual orientation based on their playtime choices now than you can determine that a child who plays teacher will become a teacher at some time in the future.  The whole point of play-time is so that kids can try on different roles and play at being some-one or something else.  I am not  worried that my 4 year old son will be gay in the future because he likes his sister's sweaters and toys.  He merely likes to be like them.  I am also not worried that he will grow up to be a dog because he likes to pretend that he is like our dog.  I assume that he likes to let his fertile imagination soar.  A very good thing to my mind.   

Let's let kids be kids and enjoy a time when they can be anything and can do anything.  We may think that you can't "fly" down the hall when you wear a cape but our kids KNOW that they can.  Let's leave it at that. 

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | Next | Last