Message Boards

Topic : 06/06 "I'm Gay, OK?"

Number of Replies: 4125
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, October 14, 2005, 03:56:41 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1

(Original Air Date: 10/19/05) Sexual orientation used to be something kept hidden from family and co-workers, but now more and more people are "coming out" and finding acceptance. Anjela says her mother and sister don't support her sexual orientation, and feel she can't be Christian and gay at the same time. Can they reconcile this touchy issue? Then, two men debate whether a person can go from gay to straight, and parents of a 4-year-old boy fear their son's desire to play with dolls and wear heels means he'll grow up to be gay. Are they overreacting to his wishes to be a princess instead of a prince? Talk about gender and gay issues here.

Find out what happened on the show.

More June 2006 Show Boards.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

October 16, 2005, 8:17 am CDT

10/19 "I'm Gay, OK?"

Quote From: kdaniels1

Being gay is not gentic.  No Dr. has proven that unless they themselves are perverted.  Being gay is a choice.  You have the choice to do what you will. 

kdaniels1 

Actually, scripturally speaking, there IS evidence that suggests that being gay is NOT a choice.  It's not as black and white as you might like to think it is.  There were men in biblical times that really struggles with being gay and not wanting to be. 

October 16, 2005, 8:22 am CDT

10/19 "I'm Gay, OK?"

Quote From: tulseyjoe

There is absolutely no scripture in the Old Testament nor the New Testament which literally mentions what we in modern times would consider to be sexual activity by those who are exclusively homosexual. In the 3 chapters of the Bible which literally mention same-gender sexual activity, the situation is the pagan worship of fertility gods and/or goddesses by heterosexuals who have gone to a pagan temple or other place of worship to make a sacrifice of male "seed" to the false gods to insure more human offspring by those heterosexuals in relationship with women.  

One must read Leviticus chapters 18 through 20 in complete context where the Israelites are told not to follow the cultural/religious practices of the Canaanites which includes the worship of Asherah, aka Astarte, the Canaanite fertility goddess, and her male co-hort, Ba'al, aka Milcom or Molech (both words mean "king").  A male holy (Kodesh) person serving the goddess or god in that situation was called a "sodomite" elsewhere in the bible. "Kodesh" the word mistranslated as "sodomite" (in other Bible books) is literally a "holy" (person, place, or thing) in the Hebrew Language. 

Often this holy person representing the goddess Asherah would dress up in female drag and the male (definitely hetersosexual) would have sex with the male holy person and in the worshipper's mind and spirit, it was as if he was having sex with the goddess herself and not with a male at all.  

The only other place in the Bible where same-gender sexual activity is condemned is in Romans Chapter 1, In that chapter, the context where that takes place is also in a pagan fertility temple.  

To some ignorant right-wing Bible-thumpers, there is only one sin in that chapter; but, the real truth is that at the end of the chapter there is a whole list of other sins which those "thumpers" are guilty of  themselves. But, they act like those don't exist.  

Added note here: I did graduate work in theology at Oral Roberts University in the latter 1970s. The Roberts family and the university is in denial of the fact that Oral and Evelyn Roberts' first born son, Ronald Oral Roberts, left the closet after I went to ORU and he openly admitted to several people I knew that he was gay. Troy Perry, founder of the MCC denomination, wrote about Ronald in one of his books. A former local MCC pastor here in Tulsa told me that Ron and she were friends and that he definitely was gay. 

I'm honestly not saying this to sound rude, but what Bible are you refering to in your statements?

October 16, 2005, 8:24 am CDT

10/19 "I'm Gay, OK?"

Quote From: mstraceyag

Recently my 15 yo son came 1/2 way out of the closet by saying that he is "bisexual".  This wasnt surprising to me at all because I have been prepared for him to tell me that he was "gay" since he was 3 yrs old.  What concerns me is the kids at school.  I have told him that I dont care who he shares this information but was afraid that the homophobic males will hear that he is "gay" and not "bi".  Guess what, someone in one of his classes had access to the chalkboard prior to my sons arrival and wrote, "Trevor's Gay".  He told me what happened in class afterward and my heart broke that he wasnt ready for this.  Im SCARED of what the future holds for him while he figures it all out.   

By the way, Im not a believer of the "bisexual" sexuality.  Either you are or your not! 

Why in the world would you be prepared for your son to tell you he was gay at the age of 3??  I don't know if I believe that children already have a sexual orientation at 3.  I'm not saying they do or they do not, I just don't think so.  What would make a parent think that about their child at such a  young age?  Do you think it's possible that you treated him in such a way, as to kind of put that idea into his head as he got older?  (Again, I'm not "accusing" or anything, I'm just curious).

October 16, 2005, 8:32 am CDT

10/19 "I'm Gay, OK?"

Quote From: riviera

I think being gay is genetic but not a good thing. I don't think it is normal or should ever be considered normal but a biological defect like mental illness. As so many people say they wouldn't choose it .  

A lot of people have experimented with bi-sexuality in their youth thinking gay sex is ok.  

I think if you are gay "that's nice" but I really don't care what you do in private.  I would like to know why so many married men go to parks to pay for sex with underage boys/ 

Hi.  I don't think that homosexuality is genetic as you say, in the sense that it is passed down from father to child, etc. (there is really not much valid evidence to support that).  I also do not think it is a choice that you make either (in most cases).  I think it's a combination of some things going on in the brain, coupled (in some cases) with the environment that you grow up in. 

October 16, 2005, 9:38 am CDT

news flash!!!

Quote From: kdaniels1

I agree with you on that the bible clearly states that homosexuality is sin but Christ does condem them as well.  Granted he loves all but he will judge all as well.  We as true Christian need to reach out to all mankind as Christ did.  Gen Chp. 1 clearly condems along with other verses in the bible about being gay.  People who say they are Christian and still gay aren't and that is a fair statement because of the bible.  How can you be Christian and still gay.  It like comparing an apple and and orange.  I am against gays action not them, just like Christ. 

kdaniels1 

Jesus Christ died on the cross for our sins. He paid the price for us so we don't have to.Homosexuality is a sin (not disputed at all), but so is acting like you are God. You have no right to say that anyone will be punished for sins that God has already forgiven. If you ask for forgiveness and believe in Him for the forgiveness, you will never hear about it from God, just narrow-minded, stiff-necked hippocrites. I have a few friends that are gay and I know them to be true Christians. When we stand before God on Judgement Day I truly believe we will be hearing about things we didn't do and not mistakes we made that are already forgiven.

October 16, 2005, 11:54 am CDT

Homosexuality is in the Bible

In Deuteronomy 23:17-18 in the Living Bible it states:    No prostitutes are permitted in Israel, either men or woman: you must not bring to the Lord any offering from the earnings from a prostitute or a homesexual, for both are destable to the Lord your God. 

I Corinthians 6:9-10 in the NIV Bible states: Do you not know that the wicked will not inherit the kingdom of God?  Do not be deceived: Neither the sexually immoral nor idolaters nor adulterers nor male prostitutes nor homosexual offenders nor thieves nor the greedy nor drunkards nor slanderers nor swindlers will inherit the kingdom of God. 

1 Corinthians 6 13 states... The body is not meant for sexual immorality, but for the Lord, and the Lord for the body.  Also, read the book of Romans.  It too discusses this topic.  So yes the Bible does discuss the sin of homosexuals.  Don't get mad at me for stating the truth as I see it in the Bible.  That doesn't mean your hated by everybody but it does strongly state it is a sin.  You who are gay have been deceived by satan.  If you believe in God then you must also believe in the devil as God clearly states that he comes to kill, steal and destroy. It doesn't matter to me how you claim to of been gay, what matters is that you have been deceived.  You can also read Leviticus 20:13 in the Living Bible also states :  The penality for homosexual acts is death to both parties.  They have brought it upon themselves.  New International Bible 20:13 same thing different wording states:  If a man lies with a man as one lies witha woman both of them have done what is detestable.  They must be put to death: their blood will be on their own heads.    So it does discuss this sin whether or not you choose to believe it. 

October 16, 2005, 12:40 pm CDT

I am a parent

Quite sometime ago my only daughter told me she was gay   I really didnt  know how to answer her on this  Did i  stop loving her?  NO WAY  !!  And that is my reply that no matter what she did I would still  love her and will till I take my last breath  It saddens me that I will  never have a grandchild  but we cant have everything in life  I pray she will give her heart to God  I know that  I caused her alot of her problems  

October 16, 2005, 12:52 pm CDT

10/19 "I'm Gay, OK?"

Quote From: dbeland

God doesn't hate the gays he hates the act that they engage in the same way he hates any sex before marriage.Lets look at the word orientation for a moment ..what does it mean.If someone says they have an orientation to go to, it means they are going to a class to learn something. Can someone tell me then how the words (sexual orientation) applies to a decision someone made.

Why don't you people who read English Only Bibles learn how to read the Bible in its correct spiritual and historical context? I already posted about the same-gender sexual activity which is condemned in the Bible is heterosexual men having sexual intercourse with a pagan holy person in service to a fertility god. And . . . , that "holy" person is dressed up in clothes to represent a female goddess. The King James Version Bible translators called a male holy person, a "kodesh," in service to the Canaanite goddess Asherah a "sodomite." But, those same translators called a female holy person, a "kodeshah," serving that same goddess a whore or prostitute. Go figure. When "kodesh" or "kodeshah" are used in the Hebrew Language Bible texts and the situation has no connection with non-Jewish religion, they are called "saints." 

Oh, in Romans chapter One, the women engaged in sexual activity in that chapter are actually pagan female holy persons (aka "votaries") who strap on sexual devices to have anal sexual activity with the heterosexually married male worshipper. In that case, it is a man having sex with a woman as though the woman is a male and the act of anal sex is supposed to give the male worshipper more ability to have more children. There are no "lesbians" in that chapter.  

Some people think that the apostle, Paul, condemned homosexuals. But, he did not and the Greek word "arsenokoitai," used by him in Corinthians and Timothy was NEVER used by any other person before Paul nor by anyone after Paul's use of the Greek word either. No one, absolutely nobody, knows what it literally means. Since it ends with the suffix 'ai," that means it is a plural feminine noun, aka they are females. And since "arseno" supposedly means male and "koit" is Greek for "bed," an interpretation of that is females who take males to bed, or more literally "female male-bedders."  

One has absolutely no control over one's sexual orientation. There is no Scripture in the original Hebrew or Greek texts of the Bible that even implies that God, aka YHWH, even hates homosexuals having sex at any time. Jesus NEVER said one thing about homosexuals nor their sexual activity.  

Homosexuals might be able to not have sexual activity before marriage if all of the States in the USA gave equal rights, including civil marriage rights, to those who are exclusively homosexual, just like those states give the right to heterosexuals and even bisexuals to have heterosexual, aka opposite-gender, marriages.  

Oh, I took "Freshman Orientation 101" when I was a 1st Semester Freshman in college in 1961. A class used to orientate one to a particular institution or a job is not the same thing as to what is sexual orientation. One has to choose to go to college or university before one can even take such a class. 

Why do ignorant people confuse sexual orientation with sexual preference? Those who use the Bible out of context to condemn homosexuality and homosexuals don't even know the difference. "Sexual preference" has to do with what kind of sexual activity one likes the best and what type of individual to have that sex activity with. 

I have also observed that the misusers of the Bible also try to put homosexuality into the same category as addictions.  

October 16, 2005, 1:04 pm CDT

little boys/dolls

Hello, I hope to my good ness that little boys will always be able to play with dolls. My son dressed up in dress up (women/girls) clothes when he was little, and he is NOT GAY. It is a stage that they go thru, especially if they have a sister. And playing with dolls helps them to become a good father. NO I wouldn't buy a 10 year old a Barbie doll, but from birth to 6-7, let them make their choices, and play with All TOYS.

October 16, 2005, 1:09 pm CDT

Oh, I think sexual orientation is genetic!

Quote From: irishmom

Hi.  I don't think that homosexuality is genetic as you say, in the sense that it is passed down from father to child, etc. (there is really not much valid evidence to support that).  I also do not think it is a choice that you make either (in most cases).  I think it's a combination of some things going on in the brain, coupled (in some cases) with the environment that you grow up in. 

While there is very little evidence of homosexual orientation on my mother's side of the family, there is plenty of it on my father's side of the family. Dad's father had a brother who was homosexual in his sexual orientation. Dad was exclusively heterosexual. But, I also think that one of his brothers was a homosexual who was heterosexually married. That Uncle never had any children, just like his and Dad's uncle didn't.  

Dad's other brother has a son who, for all intent and purpose, to borrow a phrase, is a bisexual. I know that because my older brother, although he later married a woman, had lots of sexual activity with that particular cousin during their teen and early adult years. My older brother even shared the same bed with him when he lived with them for a while.  

My older brother did get married; but, he never dated a girl nor woman until after he was 23 years old and was tricked into that marriage. He did have 3 sons and the older son was homosexually active all during his teen years. I really think that the next younger son is more homosexual than heterosexual and that is based on how he talked AND acted when I was around him. 

One of Dad's sisters had a grand-daughter who liked women more than she did men, according to what my mother told me after talking to his sister one time. 

A PhD psychologist here in Tulsa, Oklahoma, at the Indian Health Care Resource Center's Behavioral Health department, told me that he believes that more than one gene is involved in what decides one's sexual orientation. I tend to agree with him. 

I dated women while in high school and in adult life until I was past 35 years of age; but, while I loved as a friend the women I dated, I NEVER experienced a physiological sexual attraction directed toward them. That means we would never have been sexually compatible. For a male human being, he always experiences a physiological sexual attraction down-below-the-waist, behind-the-pubic-bone, in-the-area-of-the-prostate-organ, directed toward those nearby according to his sexual orientation.  

He does not even have to be thinking about sex with the person nor even be looking at the person to experience a physiological sexual attraction directed toward that specific person. Blind persons experience them.  

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | Next | Last