Message Boards

Topic : 06/06 "I'm Gay, OK?"

Number of Replies: 4125
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, October 14, 2005, 03:56:41 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1

(Original Air Date: 10/19/05) Sexual orientation used to be something kept hidden from family and co-workers, but now more and more people are "coming out" and finding acceptance. Anjela says her mother and sister don't support her sexual orientation, and feel she can't be Christian and gay at the same time. Can they reconcile this touchy issue? Then, two men debate whether a person can go from gay to straight, and parents of a 4-year-old boy fear their son's desire to play with dolls and wear heels means he'll grow up to be gay. Are they overreacting to his wishes to be a princess instead of a prince? Talk about gender and gay issues here.

Find out what happened on the show.

More June 2006 Show Boards.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

October 15, 2005, 3:11 pm CDT

our middle daughter is gay and we love her!

people who are unaccepting of gays have me feeling distraught, anxious, saddened, yet still hopeful.  my husband & i have three beautiful & loving children all in their mid-twenties and our middle child (a daughter) is a lesbian.  i know this is difficult for people to understand because in the beginning (when we came to the final realization) you do think maybe they will grow out of it (but that is our own insecurities coming out)...but seeing the daily struggles of our daughter starting in her early teens trying to be whom everyone expected her to be and not her true soul was truly sad for her...and ultimately us.  through lots of tears & tribulations our daughter is today a successful & happy person.  we are thankful and blessed because our extended family (grandparents, uncles, aunts, cousins, and friends) have turned out to be very loving and supportive.  this past year our daughter had a commitment ceremony and is now "married" to a beautiful african-american woman with a young daughter.  my daughters partner was married once before to a man because she also did in her younger years what was expected of her....though now in retrospect we are all thankful that my daughter and her partner have a daughter!....also i might add she got married to do what is expected because her brother was already out of the closet being gay...they are the only two siblings in their family.  now we have a beautiful blended multi-cultural extended family and we all love one another and get along!!!...in fact we are ALL going on a cruise together in 2006!   

October 15, 2005, 3:11 pm CDT

Christian & Gay

Recently I have become a Chrstian and now attend church regularly.  I have struggled to understand what God wants for me, and how this pertains to my orientation.  There was a book written by E.T. Sundby, "Calling the Rainbow Nation Home" which has really helped me understand my love of God even though I am gay.  So much of the bible has been misinterpreted over the years due to inaccurate trasnlation into other languages.  I think people need to understand that it is honestly not a choice. I did not choose to be gay.  Why would I want to be the black sheep of the family?   

October 15, 2005, 4:12 pm CDT

where God leads

Quote From: moondragon

Recently I have become a Chrstian and now attend church regularly.  I have struggled to understand what God wants for me, and how this pertains to my orientation.  There was a book written by E.T. Sundby, "Calling the Rainbow Nation Home" which has really helped me understand my love of God even though I am gay.  So much of the bible has been misinterpreted over the years due to inaccurate trasnlation into other languages.  I think people need to understand that it is honestly not a choice. I did not choose to be gay.  Why would I want to be the black sheep of the family?   

Becoming a Christian isn't about being good enough or doing something in order to earn our way.  Salvation is a gift from God ... not man ... so that no one may boast.  Jesus said that He is the only way to salvation .. the only way to God ... there is only one way and that is through him.  And He is at the right hand of God interceding for us.  So we pray for the faith to believe in Him and His promises.  We admit that we are lost without Him.  We accept the grace and mercy that He gives and fills us with.  The Holy Spirit then resides within us ... guiding us, counseling us, comforting us.  There is no condemnation in Christ Jesus.  But one has to accept that He is the only way.   

Once we are His ... we have to allow Him to so fill our lives that others see Christ in us.  We have to war against the sinful nature that is within us.  That doesn't just disappear because we've accepted Him.  He brings transformation ... but we have to be willing to be transformed.  We have to seek Him and find Him why He may be found.  We have to submit to His will and trust Him with our future.  Jesus did not condemn the woman at the well who was described as having had several husbands and the man she was living with at that point was not her husband.  But what he did say was, 'Go and sin no more.'  Huge.  Huge.  We could not possibly do that on our own.  We are human, fallible creations who will fall and stumble and slip.  But we do not have to embrace sin so that his grace can be shown.  The apostle Paul states this in one of his letters to the church ... 'Should I sin so that grace may abound?  No!'  And so daily we are faced with all sorts of circumstances and relationships that require us to make choices - choices between sinning and not sinning.   

I encourage you to turn to the Word of God and let it fill you up.  Find a reliable translation.  The NIV is one that is tested and proved reliable.  There are many others out there though that are probably an easier read for devotional.  I use a living translation and some use the Message.  I encourage you to find a bible teaching church ... one that relies on the Bible as the authoritative word and that preaches that Word from the pulpit.  The salvation message should be front and center.  And if those parts are there in that church then the congregation will be loving people who will  embrace you for who you are in Christ now.  But that congregation should also have accountability.  We as the body of Christ are accountable to one another.  We are instructed to love one another, pray for one another, and hold one another accountable ... even to the point of pointing out to a brother/sister when they are falling.  Participation in the body means be willing to love someone enough to give and accept this kind of accountability.  Trust in the Lord with all your heart.  Lean not on your own understanding.  In all your ways acknowledge Him and He will make your paths straight.  The word of God is foolishness to those who do not believe in Him.  And it is wisdom to those who have been saved.  Read Psalm 139 daily so that you will know how much he cares for you.  He knew you before you were ever born.  He holds you in the palm of His hand. 

I will be praying for you as you are beginning your walk with Him. 

October 15, 2005, 7:27 pm CDT

Gay is not ok but...

The Bible CLEARLY states that homosexuality is a sin.  However, the Bible also clearly states that we should love EVERYONE, as does Jesus.  There were many people in Biblical times that sinned, but Jesus himself said, "He who is without sin, let him cast the first stone".  I do not agree with homosexuality, but I have my own sins to worry about.  Who am I to judge another when I walk imperfectly?  If one of my children were to come to me and tell me they were gay, I would be very sad for them (for many reasons, not just because of the fact that they are gay, but because it is such a hard lifestyle to live, in part because of all the hatred toward them), but I would LOVE them NO differently.   So-called Christians who HATE gays and treat them unkindly are not Christians at all in my opinion. 

October 15, 2005, 7:45 pm CDT

10/19 "I'm Gay, OK?"

I just wanted to say that I believe you when you say that you did not choose to be gay.  I have seen what it has done to people.  God does love you.  Please understand that he does say that homosexuality is wrong, BUT he also says that he does love you.  I think gays must have been special spirits because they are faced with a great challenge here on Earth.  Keep your head up!

October 15, 2005, 8:16 pm CDT

Unpopular

I think being gay is genetic but not a good thing. I don't think it is normal or should ever be considered normal but a biological defect like mental illness. As so many people say they wouldn't choose it .  

A lot of people have experimented with bi-sexuality in their youth thinking gay sex is ok.  

I think if you are gay "that's nice" but I really don't care what you do in private.  I would like to know why so many married men go to parks to pay for sex with underage boys/ 

October 15, 2005, 8:16 pm CDT

Read the truth, not what makes you feel better

It's too bad you don't put more emphasis on what God says on the subject, instead of homosexual propoganda.  If you reject the Bible, and what Jesus taught, then fine.  Do what you will, but to claim to be a Christian and reject the teachings of Jesus because you want to continue to live a life of sin is hypocrisy. 

Jesus spoke often on the family.  Always in the context of a man and a woman.  Always enforced this monogamy for life.  He spoke often about the perversions of sex (outside of marriage) and the God ordained marriage not the farce done in the name of He who called homosexuality a perversion.   

Throughout scripture New Testament and the Original Testament ... homosexuality is condemned and since God is the same yesterday today, and forever - it always will be to those who are Godly people. 

Many people live perverted sexual lives.  Premarital sex is just as evil as homosexual sex or beasiality or pedophelia.  They are equally harmful and outside of God's plan for His children.  Of course you don't hear single people claiming people who disagree with their choices are "forniphobic".  The reason people made up the meaningless term homophobic is because they don't want people to disagree with them.  It is sheer politics.  Claiming a lie does not make truth. 

Look at the many people who have conquered the sexual addiction of homosexuality.  Look at Dack Rambo, the actor.  He was saved, and after experiencing a relationship with Jesus, he repented of his homosexual choices (his words), started "Dack Rambo Ministries" in an effort to help people out of the bondage of homosexuality.  He died of AIDS, but he is now in Glory.  Not because he was a good person, but because he was born from above, and he repented of his sin.  He is a true role model for people caught in the homosexual bondage.  Also, look to other organizations that free people, and are run by ex-homosexuals.  Look to "Love Won Out" and Exodus International.   

God loves all men, and all women.  Those who claim to love Him but reject His teaching are, as scripture said, liars.  He doesn't ask you to be perfect.  He asks you to "go and sin no more".  And most importantly ... scrpture is clear that if you CONDONE sin, that you are guilty of it yourself.  So all those people who say that a woman has the right to choose to kill her baby, they are guilty of killing that baby themselves.  There are no sidelines to stand on.   

Those who think you can be a "non-practicing" homosexual are misled.  Your temptations do NOT define who you are.  If that were the case then almost every man on the planet would have to call himself a non-practicing adulterer or non-practicing fornicator, or non-practicing rapist.  Nonsense. 

God calls His children to Holiness.  Not pervertedness.  

October 15, 2005, 9:48 pm CDT

I Second this

Quote From: heath1967

It makes me sad that people think the Bible says that God hates Homosexuals. No were in the Bible does it say that. It says He hates the sin and Loves the sinner. It is His wish that all come to know Him and follow Him. We as Christians should know better then to say we hate the homosexuals. God does not promote Hate towards people it’s their sin he hates.  

God Hates the sin of homosexualism, not the person.  Once homosexuals are saved then it is their duty to read the Word of God and realize that they are in a continual sin and change.

October 15, 2005, 11:02 pm CDT

Dack Rambo

Dack Rambo was bisexual. I saw him on a show hosted by Pat Boone and Boone tried to put words into his mouth. Rambo's sexual orientation did not change after he became a Christian. I found out about his not being exclusively heterosexual when he went cruising for same-gender sexual activity in a large Park in the San Fernando Valley of Los Angeles.  

On Boone's show, he refused to say negative things about gays. 

October 15, 2005, 11:23 pm CDT

Homosexuality is NOT in the Bible

There is absolutely no scripture in the Old Testament nor the New Testament which literally mentions what we in modern times would consider to be sexual activity by those who are exclusively homosexual. In the 3 chapters of the Bible which literally mention same-gender sexual activity, the situation is the pagan worship of fertility gods and/or goddesses by heterosexuals who have gone to a pagan temple or other place of worship to make a sacrifice of male "seed" to the false gods to insure more human offspring by those heterosexuals in relationship with women.  

One must read Leviticus chapters 18 through 20 in complete context where the Israelites are told not to follow the cultural/religious practices of the Canaanites which includes the worship of Asherah, aka Astarte, the Canaanite fertility goddess, and her male co-hort, Ba'al, aka Milcom or Molech (both words mean "king").  A male holy (Kodesh) person serving the goddess or god in that situation was called a "sodomite" elsewhere in the bible. "Kodesh" the word mistranslated as "sodomite" (in other Bible books) is literally a "holy" (person, place, or thing) in the Hebrew Language. 

Often this holy person representing the goddess Asherah would dress up in female drag and the male (definitely hetersosexual) would have sex with the male holy person and in the worshipper's mind and spirit, it was as if he was having sex with the goddess herself and not with a male at all.  

The only other place in the Bible where same-gender sexual activity is condemned is in Romans Chapter 1, In that chapter, the context where that takes place is also in a pagan fertility temple.  

To some ignorant right-wing Bible-thumpers, there is only one sin in that chapter; but, the real truth is that at the end of the chapter there is a whole list of other sins which those "thumpers" are guilty of  themselves. But, they act like those don't exist.  

Added note here: I did graduate work in theology at Oral Roberts University in the latter 1970s. The Roberts family and the university is in denial of the fact that Oral and Evelyn Roberts' first born son, Ronald Oral Roberts, left the closet after I went to ORU and he openly admitted to several people I knew that he was gay. Troy Perry, founder of the MCC denomination, wrote about Ronald in one of his books. A former local MCC pastor here in Tulsa told me that Ron and she were friends and that he definitely was gay. 

First Page | Previous Page | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Next | Last