Message Boards

Topic : 06/30 Addicts Transformed

Number of Replies: 302
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Thursday, October 20, 2005, 03:02:09 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1

(Original Air Date: 10/28/05) Being a mom is hard enough, but imagine juggling soccer, PTA meetings, homework and carpools all while trying to cover up a secret life of drug addiction. Dr. Phil follows up with some moms who say they were junkies. Joani, a mother of two, couldn't get through a half hour without shooting up -- and she was a nurse in a drug rehabilitation center! It's been six months -- how is she now? Then, Stephanie was addicted to Vicodin and took 60 times the recommended dosage every day. She's been clean for four months, but now has a new problem. Plus, a viewer inspired by Stephanie checks herself into rehab. Join the discussion.

Find out what happened on the show.

More June 2006 Show Boards.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

October 23, 2005, 5:08 am CDT

Addiction

1. Dr Phil,  My story is like millions of others--My daughter is 35 y/o, beautiful, intelligent, educated (masters in counseling), and suffers from the disease of addiction.  Our family is a loving, kind, hard working, middle class one. My daughters were raised in a stable and  loving enviroment. Our biggest problems were always money issues-being very young when we married and not prepared for the financial responsibilities- but we managed and did the best we could do. We have witnessed 3 od/suicide attempts ( 2 were in our home), jail, car wrecks, lost custody of her daughter, lost 5 jobs in her field in 3 years, wasting  money, losing her health (has started having seizures and is sooo thin), etc,etc, I could go on but no different that others-only difference is this one is my child and my heart that is breaking.  Drug problems in our area, and in the US, are escalating and the help that is available is not. In our area there is little to no help available, no residential, long term rehab. What treatment centers there are ,within a 200 mile radius,have waiting list 2-4 months long. No money to help with treatment.  The problems associated with drug abuse (murder,theft,abuse,child neglect/abuse,etc)will not get better until the help they need gets better. Also, a major obstacle, when dealing with an adult there is little that a parent can do. Even though this is a disease that leaves them mentally impaired and unable to make rational decesions, they have rights as an adult. KY recently passed a law (Casey's Law) that allows a parent,spouse,family member, to legally have involuntary treatment made mandatory. Voluntary or involutary -treatment is needed and can work.

October 23, 2005, 9:40 am CDT

My daughters addiction

Quote From: mh7651

1. Dr Phil,  My story is like millions of others--My daughter is 35 y/o, beautiful, intelligent, educated (masters in counseling), and suffers from the disease of addiction.  Our family is a loving, kind, hard working, middle class one. My daughters were raised in a stable and  loving enviroment. Our biggest problems were always money issues-being very young when we married and not prepared for the financial responsibilities- but we managed and did the best we could do. We have witnessed 3 od/suicide attempts ( 2 were in our home), jail, car wrecks, lost custody of her daughter, lost 5 jobs in her field in 3 years, wasting  money, losing her health (has started having seizures and is sooo thin), etc,etc, I could go on but no different that others-only difference is this one is my child and my heart that is breaking.  Drug problems in our area, and in the US, are escalating and the help that is available is not. In our area there is little to no help available, no residential, long term rehab. What treatment centers there are ,within a 200 mile radius,have waiting list 2-4 months long. No money to help with treatment.  The problems associated with drug abuse (murder,theft,abuse,child neglect/abuse,etc)will not get better until the help they need gets better. Also, a major obstacle, when dealing with an adult there is little that a parent can do. Even though this is a disease that leaves them mentally impaired and unable to make rational decesions, they have rights as an adult. KY recently passed a law (Casey's Law) that allows a parent,spouse,family member, to legally have involuntary treatment made mandatory. Voluntary or involutary -treatment is needed and can work.

My daughter has an addicition as well, she is a junkie, I don't like saying that, but I have too..she was a heroin addict and now is recovering, well she was, now its drinking once in awhile but mostly pot use and sleeping pills, she was clean for almost a full year...she had to go on treatment for 1 year an towards the end, she couldn't take it anymore, she wanted to have fun once in awhile...so she did, but she is supposed to be clean from everything, because she has hep c ...:(   and she just turned 25 and she has the worst one 1A the worst one, usually non effective with treatment. Her life has been one big turmoil, 50% of her own doing...she started on drugs very young...11 1/2  crank!!!!!! our lives, her life went down ever since...what stopped her? a murder...jail...and now recovery....if you can call it that....okay, this is too upsetting...i will be back later thanks for listening... 

October 23, 2005, 1:23 pm CDT

I am one of those Moms

Boy Dr. Phil did you hit on a very good topic!   

I am a Registered Nurse with a suspended license due to my addiction to prescription pain medication.  As with every pill popper, I began taking this medication for a legitimate disease, endometriosis.  But with each passing day the desire to feel that "good feeling" became more and more intense, until I found that I was actually MAKING UP PAIN to get more pain medication.  This lasted for about 5 years and within that 5 years I was a "functioning" mom who took her son to Boy Scouts, parent teacher conferences, grocery shopped...all the things that "Mom's Do".  Then I hit bottom!  I found a job that I absolutely loved, but also found that this hospital was not "up-to-date" with their narcotic drug dispensing.  I "figured out" how to steal patients pain meds.  I did my job well, no one could tell that I was high but the addiction took over and I got sloppy with "covering my tracks."  The desire to be high was so consuming that it never occured to me that maybe, just maybe there was someone that was on to me.   

I've been clean for over a year now, but unfortunately was in a horrible car accident in which I needed to be on pain medications.  Now I am back to struggling with the cravings, the trying to get it somehow, someway, but I know that I have to be strong and resist the temptation.   

Due to the diversion (prescription drug fraud) I am on a year of probation, facing a Felony 6 drug conviction.  Had a plea agreement in which I would do this probation, remain drug free and after a year my charge would be dropped to a misdemeanor.  In the meantime, the State of Virginia Board of Nursing has suspended my license indefinitely; I'm unable to try get it back for at least 2 years.  Then I'm sure that there will be strict conditions put on my ability to practice nursing, IF i'm even granted re-instatement after the first try.   

I have disappointed my children, actually do not even have physical custody of my children due to my addiction.  They were not taken away from me, but I voluntarily gave them to their father.  My addiction got to the point that I could no longer parent my babies.  My 11 year old calls that time in my life "when you were on the crazy pills."  CRAZY is NOT EVEN the word for it!  INSANITY is what I call it.  I have disappointed so many people in my life over this, but again I know that I cannot keep beating myself up for this forever.  There comes a time when not only do I have to ask those I hurt for forgiveness but to have forgiveness for myself.  Without that I do not think that staying clean is possible. 

I just wanted to add to the story that will be showing up on Friday, of which I am DEFINITELY going to watch.  Thank you for addressing this important topic, because there are so many of us out there that do not know where to turn or even how to admit to ourselves  or someone else that we have this addiction problem.  There is help and all it takes is to ask. 

Marni 

October 23, 2005, 5:55 pm CDT

Been there done that

I'm a 39 year old mom that has been in a marriage for 20 years and for the last 10 years have had alot of ups and downs lprobably more downs, I've been finacially struggling and have had alot of issues to deal with and was around some people who was doing Meth well need I say anymore I'm not saying I'm addicted to it but it does help me get through the day alot of times.  I do notice that when I don't do it I'm really cranky even though I don't really notice alot of times that I snap at my kids.  My husband don't know.  I truly hate that I ever touched the stuff but I get so much done.  I'm truly know how these people feel.  I'm not a addict and I don't ever want to become one and have to go to rehab. God Bless to all

October 23, 2005, 7:49 pm CDT

10/28 Addicts Transformed

Hi I am one of those people who have an addiction to sleeping pills.  I have never had anything until June 2004 when my very happy family - husband of 27 years and 5 children was thrown into what I believed was the biggest turmoil of our lives.  Our eldest son decided to get married - a happy occasion - however 2 days after the wedding he rang us to advise that he and his new bride did not think that we were worthy as parents and this brothers and sisters were no longer his - I was devastated and went to see a counsellor and then went onto sleeping tablets - I have just about used every single doctor in town but with the help of a female GP I have gone from 25 per night to 2 per night - still have no contact with our son - in fact he would not even attend his brothers wedding 3 weeks ago which was a bit of a challenge for all of us but we survived and for the first time in about 18 months I feel like I will too - I love the Dr Phil show and it has saved my butt many times

October 23, 2005, 11:19 pm CDT

12 step recovery....

Quote From: honibear28

Boy Dr. Phil did you hit on a very good topic!   

I am a Registered Nurse with a suspended license due to my addiction to prescription pain medication.  As with every pill popper, I began taking this medication for a legitimate disease, endometriosis.  But with each passing day the desire to feel that "good feeling" became more and more intense, until I found that I was actually MAKING UP PAIN to get more pain medication.  This lasted for about 5 years and within that 5 years I was a "functioning" mom who took her son to Boy Scouts, parent teacher conferences, grocery shopped...all the things that "Mom's Do".  Then I hit bottom!  I found a job that I absolutely loved, but also found that this hospital was not "up-to-date" with their narcotic drug dispensing.  I "figured out" how to steal patients pain meds.  I did my job well, no one could tell that I was high but the addiction took over and I got sloppy with "covering my tracks."  The desire to be high was so consuming that it never occured to me that maybe, just maybe there was someone that was on to me.   

I've been clean for over a year now, but unfortunately was in a horrible car accident in which I needed to be on pain medications.  Now I am back to struggling with the cravings, the trying to get it somehow, someway, but I know that I have to be strong and resist the temptation.   

Due to the diversion (prescription drug fraud) I am on a year of probation, facing a Felony 6 drug conviction.  Had a plea agreement in which I would do this probation, remain drug free and after a year my charge would be dropped to a misdemeanor.  In the meantime, the State of Virginia Board of Nursing has suspended my license indefinitely; I'm unable to try get it back for at least 2 years.  Then I'm sure that there will be strict conditions put on my ability to practice nursing, IF i'm even granted re-instatement after the first try.   

I have disappointed my children, actually do not even have physical custody of my children due to my addiction.  They were not taken away from me, but I voluntarily gave them to their father.  My addiction got to the point that I could no longer parent my babies.  My 11 year old calls that time in my life "when you were on the crazy pills."  CRAZY is NOT EVEN the word for it!  INSANITY is what I call it.  I have disappointed so many people in my life over this, but again I know that I cannot keep beating myself up for this forever.  There comes a time when not only do I have to ask those I hurt for forgiveness but to have forgiveness for myself.  Without that I do not think that staying clean is possible. 

I just wanted to add to the story that will be showing up on Friday, of which I am DEFINITELY going to watch.  Thank you for addressing this important topic, because there are so many of us out there that do not know where to turn or even how to admit to ourselves  or someone else that we have this addiction problem.  There is help and all it takes is to ask. 

Marni 

I have only one suggestion, 12 steps.  

Alcohol/drugs its all the same...and please dont kid yourself, trust me. Go to meetings, get a sponsor, work the steps, be of service, and dont drink or use...no matter what (unless you are getting it from a doctor who knows ALL about your addictions). One day at a time. 

God bless. 

Dean R. (clean and sober 7 years...) 

October 24, 2005, 5:54 am CDT

What is an addict?

Quote From: tweekmama

I'm a 39 year old mom that has been in a marriage for 20 years and for the last 10 years have had alot of ups and downs lprobably more downs, I've been finacially struggling and have had alot of issues to deal with and was around some people who was doing Meth well need I say anymore I'm not saying I'm addicted to it but it does help me get through the day alot of times.  I do notice that when I don't do it I'm really cranky even though I don't really notice alot of times that I snap at my kids.  My husband don't know.  I truly hate that I ever touched the stuff but I get so much done.  I'm truly know how these people feel.  I'm not a addict and I don't ever want to become one and have to go to rehab. God Bless to all
"I'm not saying I'm addicted to it but it does help me get through the day...[but] when I don't do it I'm really cranky..." It's clear that you are indeed an addict, but only you can make that final determination in order to help yourself. I have been addicted to pain medication for over ten years, starting like another writer, because of endometriosis. When I began taking the pills, I never would have called myself an addict; it was only after I suffered withdrawal, jail time, loss of job and self esteem that I realized that I was a hard core addict. I hope that you won't have to experience more than yelling at your kids in order to know the truth about yourself. I'm still addicted to these things even after entering myself into treatment several times; every time, however, I've gone back to using. It's an insidious disease that I wouldn't wish on anyone. Lucia

October 24, 2005, 7:01 am CDT

Addicts Transformed

Dr Phil, 

I am a recovering addict and I hear and see how parents and people in general talk about us. It makes me very sad to see family's talk horribly about their children in such a way as they don't take any credit for their feelings and disown the child just because he/she has an addiction problem. It is not just a choice to get high. I know for me my family gave up on me and forshook me almost putting me in an institution for life. This would have been a grave error for today I am a recovering addict and alcoholic by the grace of God but I had to re-create a loving, caring relationship with God and have another help me and my family understand there is always a deep seated reason for an addiction. I am not blaming all parents, but allot of  treat their worse than a dog and expect them to grow up perfect. Wake up America children learn first from their parents. Look at your life and then realize your child is just like you-hurting and crying out for help even if it is like I was acting out. Lord help our children today and in the future. 

October 24, 2005, 9:24 am CDT

Finally got clean

Quote From: babyfreed

Dr Phil, 

I am a recovering addict and I hear and see how parents and people in general talk about us. It makes me very sad to see family's talk horribly about their children in such a way as they don't take any credit for their feelings and disown the child just because he/she has an addiction problem. It is not just a choice to get high. I know for me my family gave up on me and forshook me almost putting me in an institution for life. This would have been a grave error for today I am a recovering addict and alcoholic by the grace of God but I had to re-create a loving, caring relationship with God and have another help me and my family understand there is always a deep seated reason for an addiction. I am not blaming all parents, but allot of  treat their worse than a dog and expect them to grow up perfect. Wake up America children learn first from their parents. Look at your life and then realize your child is just like you-hurting and crying out for help even if it is like I was acting out. Lord help our children today and in the future. 

Hi, 

My name is Maureen.  I am a recovering addict.  I have 10 yrs. clean.  I was into meth, I snorted, smoked, and slammed it.  I am now a school bus driver and a mother of an 11 yr. old that I adore.  I am in the process of going to school to get my license in Az.  My dream is to open a residential treatment center for women and there children.  In AZ there is not much treatment wise.  I just want to give a little back that was given to me and my daughter.  Getting clean was the hardest thing that I ever had to do.  I went through 5 different treatment centers, I was in and out of jail constantly.  I lost my daughter for a little while.  I look back on it all now and I am so proud of where I am now.  I wouldn't change anything for the world.  I look at it now as a learning experience, and a lot of years wasted, but at least now I know what my calling is.  I would be glad to talk to someone if they want.  Just send me a message and I can call. 

October 24, 2005, 9:37 am CDT

Recovering addict

Hi, 

My name is Maureen.  I am an recovering addict.  I have 10 years clean. I was addicted to meth.  I snorted it, smoked it and slammed it. 

I am now a school bus driver, and the mother of a wonderful 11 year old that I adore.  I am going to school to get my degree in drug and alcohol counseling.  My dream is to open a residential treatment center here in Arizona for women and there children.  There is nothing to speak of here, and I would like to give back a little of what was given to me.  I look back at the whole mess as a waste of a lot of years, 5 different treatment centers, 15 years of getting high, a lot of time in and out of jail, but it was also a learning experience.  Now I know what my calling is.  I also know that I like myself, and my life, I also love waking up clean and sober everyday. 

First Page | Previous Page | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Next | Last