Message Boards

Topic : 03/15 "You Wouldn't Last a Day"

Number of Replies: 70
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Tuesday, November 22, 2005, 03:27:32 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1

(Original Air Date: 11/30/05) Dr. Phil's guests dare their loved ones to finally try something new -- and last a day at it. A father wants his high-maintenance wife and daughters to learn to love the outdoors and try one night of camping. When Survivor's Jeff Probst shows up with their first challenge, will the girls pass and earn their camping supplies or will they head back home? Next, Melissa was the first person fired by Donald Trump from this season's The Apprentice. She says she can't work with women because they are intimidated by her brains and looks. What does Dr. Phil think? Then, Lauren's parents challenge her to last a day working in the real world, so she can see how hard it is to earn all the money she spends. She says it will be easy, until she sees where she has to work! And, Samantha is in her high school marching band, and says her football-playing godfather always tells her, "Band is for sissies." When she challenges him to strap on an instrument, will he be able to keep in step or will he march to the beat of his own drum and change his tune? Join the discussion.

Find out what happened on the show.

More March 2006 Show Boards.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

November 29, 2005, 10:34 am CST

Please...

That chick from the Apprentice was so completely annoying to everyone but herself.  She needed to be fired...

November 30, 2005, 6:16 am CST

Materialistic Princess

I can't believe that spoiled girl who wants  a  lexus! It could be how I was brought up, but I've never been impressed by brand names. I'm not sure if her day on the farm is going to get through to her as much as when she doesn't get stuff that costs nearly as much as my rent for free! A purse for 350.00? That's gotta be one damn fine purse, indestructible. Heck, for that price, it should come with money. 

I agree w/ Dr. Phil that it's not all her fault, she was brought up this way, spoiled rotten. SHe has no idea how hard it is to earn money.  It may sound very sheltered of me to say this, and it may be the truth, but I never knew people like that existed aside from Paris Hilton, and Simple Life esque television shows. 

I am 27, and have paid for my own vehicles, gas, ect for my entire life. My parents helped me out when I needed it, and since then I have helped them out when they needed it. Its what family does, and part of what family is about.  True, I do have some nice things, like my truck ( used), and my rings I've rec'd as gifts. I do not mind paying money for something of quality, something I really want and am willing to work for.  

I just don't get it that people can be so materialistic. They are insane to give a girl that young a lexus. Imagine the insurance on that thing? The insurance payments alone would be more than what most people have as a monthly car/truck payment.  

Where am I going with this? I don't know, more or less venting, and using this show as a primer on what i do not want to instill in my future children. 

On the topic of the jock godfather and his band god daughter. Having been in band for many years, I was always made fun of and teased for it. I can be athletic, but I do not enjoy team sports. In my experience, it's way to competitive with in the team itself and not the team working together. Not all athletes act the way that the godfather did on the show, but many of them do. It's a bad stereotype, but it does have some truth. I'm glad that he changed his tune ( pun intended). It was definitely a flashback to watch that segment, and it makes me wonder how many people who made fun of me still feel the same way about band people. Sports can be very taxing, both mentally and physically, but so are many other persuits.  

November 30, 2005, 8:40 am CST

Marching Band

I am SO glad that Dan was able to see what his God daughter did all day when she was in the marching band.  I was in the marching band for four years when I was in high school and I know every day people would give us a hard time because we weren't "athletes" or whatever else.  I don't consider band a sport, but it is very demanding.  When compared to ALL the other sports teams at our high school, we did much MUCH better than them, placing 2nd and 3rd on the East Coast, which none of the sports teams ever did.  Also, I never once saw the football team practicing for 12 hours a day, 6 days out of the week!!  I just think it's awesome that someone was able to actually march in a band persons shoes for a day because it's not easy!  I just wish everyone that ever said anything bad about us was able to do the same as Dan because I don't think they'd ever feel that way again!!

November 30, 2005, 9:44 am CST

Wake up Jan and Jim!

One of the first things Jan said was that her daughter Lauren thinks money grows on trees and falls out of the sky.  Hmmmm I wonder why?  Because it just falls out of Jan's purse and pays for everything and apparently Lauren doesn't have to do a thing while her parents together work 3 jobs.  PATHETIC!!  I'm really tired of parents who are doing such a disservice to their kids.  Why wouldn't you want to teach your children (from birth) that money doesn't grow on trees and that you have to earn money to pay for what you want in life?  Instead of "don't worry Mommy and Daddy will provide you with everything your little heart desires" and then when you do go out on your own, you don't have a clue how to live within your means and budget.  Well if Jan and Jim do ever cut her off, they better be prepared to pay off the credit cards she will probably rack up to pay for the kinds of luxuries she's enjoyed her whole life.   

And parents say oh well their such a great kid, and do well in school, so polite and well behaved; they deserve to be spoiled.  Well whether your child is a mini Mother Teresa or not, they deserve to be taught these life skills and not grow up entitled and spoiled unless Mommy and Daddy plan to provide forever.  And alot of parents seem to be like oh we'll pay for everything until you're out of college and then you're on your own.  But when they get out of college they're screwed because even if they do get a good job (which isn't guaranteed) there is no way they can afford to live like their used to.  

November 30, 2005, 9:51 am CST

Tell the Truth Ruth!!!

Quote From: alteaon

I can't believe that spoiled girl who wants  a  lexus! It could be how I was brought up, but I've never been impressed by brand names. I'm not sure if her day on the farm is going to get through to her as much as when she doesn't get stuff that costs nearly as much as my rent for free! A purse for 350.00? That's gotta be one damn fine purse, indestructible. Heck, for that price, it should come with money. 

I agree w/ Dr. Phil that it's not all her fault, she was brought up this way, spoiled rotten. SHe has no idea how hard it is to earn money.  It may sound very sheltered of me to say this, and it may be the truth, but I never knew people like that existed aside from Paris Hilton, and Simple Life esque television shows. 

I am 27, and have paid for my own vehicles, gas, ect for my entire life. My parents helped me out when I needed it, and since then I have helped them out when they needed it. Its what family does, and part of what family is about.  True, I do have some nice things, like my truck ( used), and my rings I've rec'd as gifts. I do not mind paying money for something of quality, something I really want and am willing to work for.  

I just don't get it that people can be so materialistic. They are insane to give a girl that young a lexus. Imagine the insurance on that thing? The insurance payments alone would be more than what most people have as a monthly car/truck payment.  

Where am I going with this? I don't know, more or less venting, and using this show as a primer on what i do not want to instill in my future children. 

On the topic of the jock godfather and his band god daughter. Having been in band for many years, I was always made fun of and teased for it. I can be athletic, but I do not enjoy team sports. In my experience, it's way to competitive with in the team itself and not the team working together. Not all athletes act the way that the godfather did on the show, but many of them do. It's a bad stereotype, but it does have some truth. I'm glad that he changed his tune ( pun intended). It was definitely a flashback to watch that segment, and it makes me wonder how many people who made fun of me still feel the same way about band people. Sports can be very taxing, both mentally and physically, but so are many other persuits.  

Growing up my Mom would have liked to have spoiled us, but she couldn't, what little money we had couldn't be spent on treats.  But even at that I had no idea how hard it was to make ends meet, when I graduated high school and worked fast food while I was in college.  I was like HOLY COW!!!!!!!!!!!!!! how did Mama do this and not lose her sanity. 

I had to drive a car that I could afford and it was a BOMB!!!!!!!!  but I learned to work on it and I learned to be self reliant.  I have been in the work force full time since I was 19, I'm 35 now, and I don't think the world owes me living.  The $350 purse made me laugh like crazy, that is what I paid for my first car. 

November 30, 2005, 10:38 am CST

snobby

My impression of Melissa is that she is a snob. Who is she to decide who is "bright"? I work in an industry where many of my co-workers have two PhD's, are physicians and none of them treat people the way Melissa does. I think Melissa has a warped self-image and she relies on her peceived intelligence to make herself feel superior.  

as for Lauren, I agree that her mother has overindulged her and that she is now paying the price (literally) for not teaching her daughter limitations. I wish that they would have sent her to work at a job that was more realistic for her, such as an entry level position at an ad agency where they pay very little and the person does a ton of work nobody else wants to do.  

November 30, 2005, 10:54 am CST

Don't hate me

Anyone rememebr those shampoo commericals where the model would say "Don't hate me because I'm beautiful"?  and you were saying to yourself Oh don't worry honey , there are so many other reasons.  The apprentice chic should take note. 

November 30, 2005, 12:18 pm CST

Clueless in New York

That poor girl, Melissa; for someone fairly successful in the world of business, she's the most clueless, lost person I've seen in a while.  I hope the woman can find a way to get present to the voice in her head and her strange reality enough to shift her world view away from herself. Focusing on how she can contribute to others would probably be a great place for her to look. JR

November 30, 2005, 12:24 pm CST

Oh my good grief!

Here I was sitting here feeling smug because of my camping experience and then they done went and ate the BUG!! My hats off to you ladies! You're a braver soul that mine!!! 

November 30, 2005, 12:38 pm CST

11/30 "You Wouldn't Last a Day"

Quote From: profderien

i recently encountered a doctor who doesn't believe that the disorder RSD/CRPS even EXISTS!  now, i am willing to take into consideration that he seemed younger than doogie howser and that he could not postulate any reasons of his own for the many symptoms that RSD/CRPS can cause. [for me: massive edema, the color purple, a 10 degree temperature differential between one leg and the other, severe osteopenia [i fracture just by walking, incredible sensitivity, and above all else -- shooting and burning pain 24/7.   

and finally, never mind that there is demonstrable damage shown by EMG studies to the plantar, peroneal, and ulnar nerves, and a diagnostic three-phase bone scan. 

his claim?  all of the "pain syndromes" are due to ANXIETY...  

gee, do you think he got under my skin?  d'oh!   

i would love to challenge him to 24 hours in my wheelchair -- manual or power, his pick.  he needs to take a shower, use the toilet, do laundry, dust and vacuum, go out on the deck and try to sweep away the many leaves... all with just the use of his right hand and whichever leg feels strongest.  i would ask that he take my medications but that would kill him.  [hmmm...  what else?  oh, he could do a nice stir-fry, with lots of chopping -- a mise en place par excellence.  he needs to spend about 4 hours in the day in bed with his feet elevated.  of course,  the experiment wouldn't be complete without a trip to some of the least accomadating places in town.   

iwouldn't wish the pain of RSD/CRPS on anyone, though.  what i wish for him to witness are a few of the "side effects."   what cannot be accomplished is the depression of social isolation -- i cannot go out due to the likelihood of having my leg/foot/fingers inadvertently being touched or knocked about.  yes, the disease causes some weird behaviors!  i will do almost anything to avoid being touched --  and that makes me so sad -- there is nothing like a human touch! 

anxiety?  sure.  as a result.  but definitely not as a cause. 

thanks for the opportunity to vent!!! 

prof-de-rien 

There once was (and possibly still is) a program called, "Welcome To My World." For approximately six weeks, an able-bodied person could experience life in a wheelchair, as a visually or hearing-impaired individual or as someone with a severe speech impediment. I was never fortunate enough to participate, but I'm sure it must have been a real eye-opener those who did. I would love to do something like that for the Dr. Phil show. Actually, I would really love to see your doctor go through that program, only with RSD/CRPS; he might develop a greater appreciation for those suffering with this affliction.  

(P.S. Check out the movie, "The Patient," based on a doctor's real experiences on the other end.) 

First Page | Previous Page | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Next | Last