Message Boards

Topic : 06/29 House Call Intervention

Number of Replies: 221
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Tuesday, November 22, 2005, 03:35:31 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1

(Original Air Date: 12/01/05) Imagine finding your son passed out in his room with drug paraphernalia surrounding his body. When that happened to one mother, she made an important call for help. Dr. Phil’s son, Jay, was working with a family for his new reality show when the mom, Vikki, phoned to say that her son, Justin, had been lost to drugs. Dr. Phil made a surprise house call and insisted that the teen get help immediately. Find out what happens with Justin, and why Vikki thinks she's to blame for his drug use. Then, a stay-at-home mother of three was drinking bottles of wine and vodka every day -- she would even fill a sports drink bottle with alcohol and take it to her kids' school events. Did she break her deadly addiction? Join the discussion.

Find out what happened on the show.

More June 2006 Show Boards.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

December 1, 2005, 8:49 am CST

Where to turn!

Watching the bit on the alcoholic mother; I can totally relate.  My father is a drug addict.  It is very stressful and frustrating.  My father is suposed to take care of me but thats not the case.  i am 21 and i feel like i raise my father now.  Besides rehab, what can I do?  I'll take all the help and advice I can get!

December 1, 2005, 8:56 am CST

Wishing you the best!

Quote From: DrPhilBoard1

The rehab center he was sent to is La Hacienda in Texas:

http://www.lahacienda.com/

Just remember- you can't make someone get help- "to be helped, you have to want help".  If your son denys the fact that he has a problem then find a different approach.  Do some research and show him the concequences.  There is a book out, I beleive its called "a thousand little pieces".  it is a true story about a drug addict.  I have not read it yet but have heard great things about it.  i hope you find the strength and help you need! 

December 1, 2005, 9:33 am CST

The Title Of The Book

Quote From: lifesamaz

Just remember- you can't make someone get help- "to be helped, you have to want help".  If your son denys the fact that he has a problem then find a different approach.  Do some research and show him the concequences.  There is a book out, I beleive its called "a thousand little pieces".  it is a true story about a drug addict.  I have not read it yet but have heard great things about it.  i hope you find the strength and help you need! 

Is " A Million Little Pieces " by James Frey ..... I am reading it right now and it is a book which I would like to see put in all rehabs., schools, etc.  The book is well worth reading and I have not been able to put it down.

December 1, 2005, 9:45 am CST

My son has been saved

Quote From: elawrence3

I recently have gone through a similar situation and my son's name is Justin as well.  He watched some of the show with me, but insists he does not need help.  Does anyone recall the name of the rehab they sent the Justin on the show to???  My husband is active duty military just returning from Iraq and I am sorry to say that our government has NOTHING to help the dependents of military members in need for substance abuse.  I know now from watching this episode it is time to take action.  Please wish us luck here in Virginia. 

My husband is retired military & you are right there is nothing available for us unless it is attached to a hospital.  I sent my son to Narconon of Georgia for three months & he just returned clean & sober.  Check out the website which is drugsno.com  It is not a 12 step program because they do not work which is what La Hacienda is.  Most of the people who work at Narconon including the deputy director are all recovering addicts & have been to many of these 12 step programs before they went to Narconon.  It works!!!  The success rate vs other programs is 80% vs 20%.  It is not cheap but I felt it was an investment in my childs future.  We used the money we had saved for him for college but now the Air Force will be taking care of that.  They teach you all new life skills, how to deal with situations, how to deal with people & how to live life addiction free.  Please check it out & if you need to talk I am here for you.  I went through hell with my son for 4 years & i refuse to go back there.  I have my son back, the one I thought I had lost forever & believe me it's great.  Good Luck 

December 1, 2005, 10:01 am CST

I think that my Friend needs help

Dear, Dr. Phil 

I have A friend that has a drinking problem. I feel that she will lose everything that she has before she will admit that she needs more help then just going to  AA . That is a start but I know she is just going because she got a drunk driving.(3rd time). She thinks this will keep her out of jail. So to me she not seeing the big picture. I try to tell her that she needs more but she is okay with just the AA meetings. Can you tell me what I can do to help her. Thank you  

December 1, 2005, 10:42 am CST

I really dont know what to do with 18 yr old son

Hello everyone,   

I have been looking for some advice by reading the postings and their replies.  I have a problem that I just discovered days ago.  My son who just turned 18 in November is using drugs and drinking.  I actually have suspected this for about a year but until now I didnt know for sure.  I am not sure of what drug he is using/abusing and I have not confronted him yet because Im not sure of what I really want to say and his being 18 now leaves me wondering what I can do as his parent.  I am concerned that if I approach it in the wrong way that he will get very angry and move in to his father's place. It may seem that in a way, that would make things much easier on his Step-father and I but we both agree that it would be like throwing him away.  I have every reason to believe that he may have even started his drinking and drugs at his father's place.  I couldnt possibly write all the details of my situation on one page so I would appreciate it if there is anyone with a child who is 18 and has the situation where that child can easily just move out rather than face his problems--Please help.  Please let me know what you have learned (good or bad).  I do have 3 younger children to consider.  I am very tired, very sad.   

December 1, 2005, 10:50 am CST

12/01 House Call Intervention

Quote From: reinise

Dear, Dr. Phil 

I have A friend that has a drinking problem. I feel that she will lose everything that she has before she will admit that she needs more help then just going to  AA . That is a start but I know she is just going because she got a drunk driving.(3rd time). She thinks this will keep her out of jail. So to me she not seeing the big picture. I try to tell her that she needs more but she is okay with just the AA meetings. Can you tell me what I can do to help her. Thank you  

I have recently been discharged from a Detox Center here in PA and yes I did admit myself due to my alcohol disease. I have been drinking since I was 15 years old and was previously in a 28 day rehab program when I was 23 and I am currently 36 years old. The previous stay in rehab when I was 23 was because my family members begged me to go, I did not go because I thought I had a problem, (but I really did), I went basically to get them off of my back. If I only knew what I know now i would have taken it more seriously. I almost lost my husband, my two kids, my sisters, parents, real friends due to my disease. I have lost two very good jobs due to my drinking and maybe until your friend opens up her eyes and see's that she is going to lose everything or she starts to lose things she may face the truth about her disease. AA is atleast a start but I honestly feel she needs more help then that. Does she drink every day? Does she have black outs? How long has she been drinking? You can't make her do anything it's up to her. I know you hate to see her hurt herself but if she has 3 DUI's, she better take someones advice soon before she kills herself or worse yet someone else that she doesn't remember doing.

December 1, 2005, 11:46 am CST

I don't know how you can help

Quote From: reinise

Dear, Dr. Phil 

I don't know how anyone can help an adult who won't admit to a problem.  My father drank heavily my entire childhood.  He did not stop drinking until my brother, at the age of 23, was killed in a motor vehicle accident by a drunk driver.  My father now does not touch any alcohol at all.  The closest he comes to it is an occasional non-alcoholic beer.  He never spoke to us about his drinking and we are not comfortable talking to him because he gets hurt so easily.  He does not like to discuss the faults of our family - you know how the older generations are at times.  Plus, because of the drinking we grew up afraid and uncomfortable with our dad.  He is a great dad and grandfather now but I will never be close to him.  I have too many insecurities from my childhood to try to talk to him.  I just am glad our relationship is better today.   I know he feels very guilty about it.  But it is very sad to say that it took my brother's death to stop my father's drinking. 

December 1, 2005, 11:57 am CST

12/01 House Call Intervention

Having watched the show, I give both Vikki and Travis credit for going and getting help for thier son, and being very concerned about what to do after he returns home.  I think many people look to these treatment facilities as a cure all, and do not realize that this is a long road, and that the individual needs all the help and support they can get, even just knowing someone else would be there: a soft place to fall. 

I also give credit to Justin, that he was very willing to get help, and seemed to understand what an opportunity he has. His attitude, at least from what we saw, is going to help him beat this.  

In the small town where I live, drugs are rampant. From the outside, no one would ever think it. But there's nothing to do here for young people, so they turn to drugs and drinking. Sadly, much of it is condoned by the parents in the community, thinking that "kids will be kids", and not doing anything to stop it- in fact, they get upset when police bust up field drinking parties- especially when athletes are involved-- 

In all town and ciites there is a drug problem, it's just more visible in certain areas. Much like the show iterated, the more we know about our children, and for those who have no children, what we know about our friends, will help us to help them.  The fight against drugs has to be fought on person at a time. It's not a blanket treatment or a blanket solution, it starts early on and keeps going. 

December 1, 2005, 12:26 pm CST

Choose That!

I am tired of hearing about the poor drug users. These kids are put in Dare Programs from the time they enter school to the time they leave. It is a choice they make. I wish I had a choice. I have had severe Asthma for twenty years. I have stopped breathing three times. Let them wake up with tubes coming out of every part of your body. Waking up with your hands tied to the bed because it is such a shock to the patient. They freak out and pull the tubes out not knowing what they are doing. These kids and adults choose this. The people I feel sorry for are the families that have to deal with this. The children that caught up in the mess. They don't have a choice. It makes me sick to see healthy people ruin a perfect body with drugs and drinking too much.  

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | Next | Last