Message Boards

Topic : 03/31 Love Smart, Part 1

Number of Replies: 209
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, December 02, 2005, 03:45:39 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1

(Original Air Date: 12/06/05) It's Dr. Phil after dark! Dr. Phil is having a champagne party - with an audience full of single men and women looking to meet Mr. and Ms. Right. Using his new book, Love Smart: Find the One You Want - Fix the One You Got, Dr. Phil teaches these singles how to be smart when it comes to love and relationships, and how to "bag 'em, tag 'em and take 'em home!" Noelle says she's a horrible dater and never gets called back for date number two. Dr. Phil sends her out with a man and critiques her technique. How is she sending the wrong message? Then, a beauty queen who never thought she would still be single at 37 says her biological clock is "gonging!" Does this mean she'll put up with just about anything? Dr. Phil puts her to the test. And, three single women who are looking for love in all the wrong places want Dr. Phil to help them find Mr. Right. See what happens when they participate in revolving dates while Dr. Phil coaches them through an earpiece. Whether you can't find a good candidate, can't close the deal, or get them home and realize they aren't who you thought they were -- you are about to earn your black belt in relationships! Talk about the show here.

Find out what happened on the show.

More March 2006 Show Boards.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

December 5, 2005, 2:17 pm CST

Thank you

Quote From: melissa10

I agree.  Some women just do not have the capability of meeting the perfect person.  But yet they are perfect.  They have the perfect family, the perfect career but not the perfect guy.  Some women play the "what if" game, with themselves.  What if they don't like the same things I do, what if he hates my family, what if my career is not strong enough for them, and finally what if I am to bull headed for him (like most women are).  You never judge a book by it's cover.  The women that are on Dr. Phil I say, "Go for it!" What do you have to lose.
If you were too see what all these women have to offer, you are right on, they have worked hard, have great lives just want someone to share it with, I just think that until you see the show, until you meet the people dont just go Oh they are young & stupid, cause you will find that none of them are ... they just are in search of the one someone to share their lives with.  It is hard out there, but at least we are admitting it is & we are still trying.

December 5, 2005, 2:46 pm CST

How can you be surprised

Quote From: jeanniej70

If you were too see what all these women have to offer, you are right on, they have worked hard, have great lives just want someone to share it with, I just think that until you see the show, until you meet the people dont just go Oh they are young & stupid, cause you will find that none of them are ... they just are in search of the one someone to share their lives with.  It is hard out there, but at least we are admitting it is & we are still trying.

You went on a national TV show which addressed a topic that is prevalent in our society.  How can you be surprised that people have an opinion about what they see.  Just as you have an opinion about the problems you have in dating and your solution was Dr Phil, others are going to have an opinion about you going on TV to resolve those problems.  Did you really think it would not be seen as a step over the edge.  If you got what you needed from the show then take it and move on.  The thing about free speech is that it applies to every one, and you should already know about what they say about opinions.  Live with it!!!! 

Barbara 

December 5, 2005, 7:32 pm CST

12/06 Love Smart, Part 1

Quote From: jmmjhm

I just LOVE Dr. Phil and Robin, and have even been in the audiance, but some of the recent shows have been a "stretch".  I remember years back, I wouldn't miss an Oprah show and now rarly watch her.  I still think that she is a wonderful person, I just don't like her show.  I am hoping that this doesn't happen with the Dr. Phil show.  I, personally, don't like a lot of frivolity on the show and think that Dr. Phil should stick with being Dr. Phil.  I do understand that it is hard to do a good show 5 days a week and make it interesting and something that all will like.  I just happen to think that in the beginning of the shows, it was a lot more interesting finding out about people and how Dr. Phil could help them out.  Now, it seems like it is more of a "show" and sometimes silly and not my taste.  I know that you can't please all the people all of the time, but wish that the shows would get back to the way they were in the begining.
I totally agree.  The celebrity interviews on Oprah have got to be the biggest mind drain on TV.  Except for maybe "The Bachelor." There's enough dysfunction in America.  Dr. Phil should focus on that.

December 6, 2005, 5:19 am CST

12/06 Love Smart, Part 1

I was 35 when I met my husband....just when I had finally made up my mind that I was destined to be single forever, and that maybe it woudn't be such a bad thing! What was funny is that the night I met him at a baseball game, I had on a t-shirt, baseball cap, and no makeup. And I am not a beauty by any standard, but I am smart and easily able to engage in conversation (I've always been the girl men love to be friends with but aren't interested in dating). Our personalities clicked, though, and I pursued him for a date.  

Thank God I did, because the relationship I have now  is an absolute gift. He may not be the George Clooney look-alike who strung me along for eight years (who said that while he loved me deeply,just wasn't physically attracted to me because I was chunky) but he is the smartest, funniest, most easygoing and interesting man I have ever known. His sense of who he is and his level of integrity blows me away. I think part of finding that right guy is how you behave on that first date, but it also comes down to being open to someone that you may not initially consider to be your "type". We get used to they way people look, and when we really love them, their inner beauty comes to the surface and really shines! I find that after a few years of marriage, what my (pretty, thin, divorced) friends envy isn't that I snagged JFK jr, but rather the deep love, mutual respect, and great friendship that my husband and I have. 

December 6, 2005, 8:23 am CST

Insecure? Paranoid? Stupid? - Serious Question

I am in a same sex, committed relationship for 4 years now - living together, paying bills, raising kids, etc....the whole nine yards.  We had a break up about 6 months ago that separated us for about 30 days but  we realized we wanted the relationship to work, etc and are now working on things and are generally "happy".  My questions is this?  Our sex life is basically non-existent -  intimacy happens maybe once a month (on a GOOD month that is).  In the past my partner (the more masculine) has always appreciated nice looking women but basically never made many comments about others - well at at least not in front of me.  Lately, it seems every woman she sees she makes a comment about them being hot, beautiful, etc.  Sometimes she doesn't even say the words but I can see the facial expression so I'll ask, so she's another "hottie" huh?  To which the reply is "hell yea".  We've discussed how she's just not "into" sex right now and is tired all the time and just not at her peak (she's 39, I'm 40 and I'm definitely in my peak!).  She says she thinks I am beautiful but when I asked do you ever look at me with desire or 'wanting' she says no that she's just in a funk right now but she declares un-dyling love for me and I have no reason to believe she's unfaithful - I'm sure that she's not.  Then last night she mentioned that someone she has admired on TV is going to be in Playboy and she is going to buy the copy with her in it.  She has NEVER purchased Playboy in our entire time together!  She says I'm paranoid and insecure with myself to be worrying so much about all the recent statements of 'admiration' of other woman.....(I was in a 20 year relationship before and my partner DID buy the magazine regularly but also  wanted and initiated intimacy with me so I never felt insecure at all.)  I've explained that it's hard for me to understand the interest and lust over another naked woman but then state to me that it's not her "prime" or she's not into sex right now....she says I'm paranoid and Insecure.....I know sex isn't everything but I miss so much the closeness it brings.  Please give me your advice - I don't want to make more out of this than need be but I also don't want to be a fool.

December 6, 2005, 8:59 am CST

Celebrities

Quote From: utahinbc

I totally agree.  The celebrity interviews on Oprah have got to be the biggest mind drain on TV.  Except for maybe "The Bachelor." There's enough dysfunction in America.  Dr. Phil should focus on that.

Personally, those celebrity interviews have no interest to me either because I really have little interest in what today's "hot" celebrities are doing. For those who do, more power to you.  

The only celebrity interview I watched that she did was of Sir Anthony Hopkins, whom I do truly admire due to his long catalog of work. Not because he's some young stud that People magazine loves for a month or two. 

December 6, 2005, 9:05 am CST

Being Single

I haven't seen the show yet so I can't comment on its content, only the subject itself. 

I was single until I was 35. It was hard at times so I think it's good that Dr. Phil is doing a show on it. Finding someone to spend the rest of your life is no picnic as you get older. Sometimes it takes stepping back from "the hunt" for Mr. or Ms Right for You (as I see it) and just enjoying your life as it is to get perspective.  

Now that I'm married, I can see how many good times and travels I had as a single person. Enjoy the aspects of single life that are good and keep your eyes open. That guy/gal you might not have given the time of day might be the one for you. My husband was a co-worker and I wrote him off because he was younger. I'm glad I woke up and realized what a gem he was. 

December 6, 2005, 9:09 am CST

12/06 Love Smart, Part 1

This Show was a lot of Fun!  I am only disappointed that I won't be able to watch the conclusion tommorrow...  Shoot!   I will say I AM SURPRIZED that some of the ladies brought up their Ex's on the first date.  I mean and Judy it was almost in the first sentence.  Judy it was almost like she said:  Look I am in love with someone else and I am not yet over it.  And Noelle.... Why do you think you need to give this guy who you just met your whole life history?  SAVE IT FOR YOUR COUNSELLOUR....   I would say nothing unless they DUG it out of you and then I would say something to change the subject.   I think the first question I would ask a stranger if I was seriously considering a relationship with them would be:  Do You Play the Guitar?  (That would be the first question and I think it would be a springboard to discuss alot of other things..... Just My Opinion........ 

December 6, 2005, 9:24 am CST

Ditto

Quote From: utahinbc

I agree with you both on all points! Dr. Phil and Robin are a wonderful example of a strong marriage, and are fine individuals as well. I love this show, and SO don't want it to slide into the abyss with most other talk shows. Please don't compromise, Dr. Phil!!

December 6, 2005, 9:25 am CST

HARD TO FIND A MAN IN MY AGE GROUP

It appears that most men in my age group (early 50's) that are eligible are looking for that 20's - 30's range female.  i.e. a local professional man has been widowed for several years.....a friend of his was talking to me about him, I said, well, would he like to go to dinner?  My friend replied, "sorry, you aren't young enough for him...he likes 'em' young.  That's not the first time.  So, Dr. Phil, how does a 53 year old female, hard working, nice looking, caring and might I add, likes to cook and keep a clean home; find someone that (isn't a dead-beat) that has something to offer in a relationship other than headaches and looking for someone to just take care of him

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | Next | Last