Message Boards

Topic : 12/07 Love Smart, Part 2

Number of Replies: 142
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, December 02, 2005, 03:47:41 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1

The lights are low, the champagne is flowing and Dr. Phil's singles party continues, teaching women how to weed out the bad boys and find Mr. Right. Four women who say they can't be themselves when they're around guys are taped as they candidly speak about dating and what they're looking for in a mate. What they don't know is that they are actually being watched by men whom they will later meet. Find out what the men think about these ladies! Next, one of the women gets a special makeover from Robin, and a pep talk from Dr. Phil. Will she be able to earn herself a second date when she's armed with a secret weapon? Then, Dr. Phil sends single women to "target-rich" environments. Some are armed with tips for meeting men, while others have to survive on their own. Which group of women will meet men and even get phone numbers? Plus, test your knowledge and see how well you know men. If you're ready to be a bride instead of a bridesmaid, you don't want to miss Dr. Phil's advice! Join the discussion.

Find out what happened on the show.

More December 2005 Show Boards.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

December 7, 2005, 2:28 pm CST

Yes, Match.com is #1

Quote From: smallsmart

I was married at 20, divorced 3 kids later at 24 and didn't remarry until 39.  My husband and I met online and are blissfully happy but I weeded through 15 years of losers before I found him. 

The part of your post that struck me was that you said when your girlfriends marry, you bail because you just can't stand to watch it.  Have you ever considered that by doing that you are further narrowing your scope?  Think about it... Husbands have friends and coworkers; when they have kids there will be more friends and events and all kinds of opportunities to meet different people.  Maybe the husband has a sister with a best friend that's perfect for you.  It all comes down to six degrees of separation.  If you sit in your house, you won't meet anyone.  If you limit yourself to one method of meeting people, you miss out on meeting all kinds of other people. 

Tell your friends to moderate the gooey details about their sickening bliss, but don't make your world smaller because it seems to be harder.  If you expand your world, then the math says you have to expand the number of people you meet.  When you find the right guy, you'll flirt.  Women who are attracted to men just can't help it.  And when it's the right guy, he'll see it for what it is.  In the meantime, GET OUT THERE!!  Call up your old girlfriends and catch up.  Go to their kid's soccer game or dance recital.  I can almost assure you there will be single dads there, too.  You just never know until you go. 

Good luck and take care.  :) 

I played match making for two older ladies (63 and 69) and I got both of them married within 3 months with MATCH.COM.  Neither of them even knew what a keyboard was, until I taught them how to use the computer first. 

I think Match.com is successful is because most people who get into the system are already interested in finding someone special.  So, you have willing participants in these Internet sites. 

December 7, 2005, 2:34 pm CST

Got book today

Iwent to Walmart today and saw the book so I got it for my sister but she won't be here for 2 weeks so I started looking at it while waiting in line at the store.Sh'e separated from hubby #3. She is a smart person but suffers from depression and so has to pick smarter in her relationships. She has picked men she can mother or raise their kids or not home much. The last one was from another country and too many cultural differences to make it work not to mention red tape. She doesn't need the extra stress . I am married but I want to start going out on dates with my husband.I have a 12 year old and one night he stayed at a friends and we went out to eat and we didn't even care what we ate or anything. we laughed,"free at last! A date! It's been 12 years. We don't care if the food is hot or done enough!!!:>) usually we take our son with us on stuff but I'm going to try planning some more dates.It doesn't have to be some big vacation, just a meal out or a weekend or night at a Hotel or bed & breakfast.We have waited a long time. We haven't gone anywhere alone almost since he was born!!:>) We just didn't like using babysitters and our relatives were a little nutty.. So, I'm hoping this will keep my sister from dating someone like   in a sleeper cell  ( she goes for dark foreign men)  but then I could write a book called, "my sister dated a terrorist":>) What is family for?

December 7, 2005, 2:39 pm CST

NO CLUE!!! YOUNG PEOPLE???

Quote From: lilywright

This is Lily.  I loved these two shows about LOVE SMART.  I am married, but I love to see happy young people meet each other. 

Great show, Dr. Phil. 

Lily 

YOU SAID IT, "HAPPY YOUNG PEOPLE." 

YOU ARE MARRIED!!!   GET REAL!!! 

YOU DON'T HAVE A CLUE!!! 

TRY BEING 51, NEVER MARRIED, NO CHILDREN,  

GRADUATE DEGREE, NEVER DATED, NOT BLONDE, 

ETC, ETC, ETC. 

LIFE CAN BE HELL!!! 

BLUEANGEL777 

December 7, 2005, 2:42 pm CST

NO KIDS!!!

Quote From: melnry

I want you ladies to know that THE place to meet a man is your child's daycare.  I met my husband 2 years ago at our daughters daycare.  I was interested from the start and noticed there did not seem to be a wife present.  So of course where better to get the scoop....  from a bunch of women who take care of his child all day and see him twice a day everyday.  I asked and got good news, he is a great guy.  So here we are 2 years later and have been married for almosta year now.

NO KIDS!!! 

BLUEANGEL777 

December 7, 2005, 2:49 pm CST

You've never lived in Rural ND!!!!!!!

Maybe all of the love tips and places to meet men work for people in cities but you obviously have never been to rural North Dakota and you have DEFINITELY NEVER tried to date in rural North Dakota.  It's a challenge that is next to impossible!!!

December 7, 2005, 2:53 pm CST

The other side of the coin

Dr. Phil, 

I watched both shows on Love Smart. 

You based these shows on the woman's side of the story. 

When is it the guy's turn to learn the ropes on finding Ms. Right? 

I have been a single dad for 9 years.  For the most part I have been out of the dating loop. 

Now that the kids are older it's my turn to get out there and find Ms. Right.  Where do I begin? 

December 7, 2005, 2:53 pm CST

Guess what???

Quote From: jim1970

I can't tell you how many women my age opt for take out instead of cooking a meal.  That's because they admit they can't cook.  Men are tired of going to Denny's.  Cook for us.  Clean for us.  We're too tired.  Be the old-fashioned girl we wanted in the first place and you'll find youself  A LOT happier in the end.
WE'RE too tired too!!!!!!!

December 7, 2005, 3:02 pm CST

WHERE can guys meet women???

Good grief, girls can go anywhere and meet guys, where can guys go to meet girls, where the guys are not outnumbering the girls 10 to 1? Do you women just sit at home? Give me a break, it is a womans world. Well, a pretty womans world. God help all the uglie's and us not tall, not so rich men.

December 7, 2005, 3:03 pm CST

attitude adjustment?

Quote From: dr_joy

Must be a sign from God -- my first message didn't post. Oh well. According to Dr. Phil's guidelines, there is no man who would want me that I would want, since men intimidated by strong women, and I can't respect a man as a romantic partner, who has less ability than I have, and has done less than I have, especially since I feel like I've only done 1/10th of my potential ....  Thank you Dr. Phil, for helping me realize that I will be single the rest of my life (I guess I better find a good deal on batteries for my BOB! (smile) .....
The one thing I learned was when they said men are intimidated by strong women and that men need to be needed on an emotional level of connectedness. , not just to take women on a vacation,etc. I did not hear that put quite that way before. I really want to go on a vacation really bad right now!. But I do depend on my husband for the daily emotional connectedness even if we just act silly and watch Jay Leno at night. or CSI. I think having some equalness in education helps. But one of the nuttiest, most fun people I ever met (and who was married to a great guy) is someone who has a PHD  and worked with moonrocks sent back from outerspace. Another person I know belonged to Mensa but has a more negative attitude and is not in a relationship. My elderly relative going on 90 is in a nursing home but  has a great attitude and has a special ladyfriend who lives there also. Go figure that one.:>)

December 7, 2005, 3:05 pm CST

My sentiments exactly!

Quote From: rhwalker

Dr. Phil, 

I watched both shows on Love Smart. 

You based these shows on the woman's side of the story. 

When is it the guy's turn to learn the ropes on finding Ms. Right? 

I have been a single dad for 9 years.  For the most part I have been out of the dating loop. 

Now that the kids are older it's my turn to get out there and find Ms. Right.  Where do I begin? 

I'm with you rhwalker, us guys need a show to help us. Hell, we need more than a show, we need a mini-series! 

Tommy Lee 

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | Next | Last