Message Boards

Topic : 08/21 Ask Dr. Phil & Robin with JCPenney Jam

Number of Replies: 128
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, December 02, 2005, 03:58:26 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1

(Original Air Date: 12/09/05) It's Ask Dr. Phil and Robin day! When they say "anything goes," the guests take full advantage. Melissa says her sex life is boring, and that it's all her husband, Spencer's, fault because he is too uptight. He says he's tired of being a piece of meat. Can they meet in the middle when it comes to the bedroom? Next, Russell says his daughter, Nyla, is a piano-playing prodigy. His wife thinks he's pushing Nyla too hard -- especially since she's only 7 months old! Then, a mother and her teenage stepdaughter compete to see who can eat less in order to lose weight, and Robin tries to set them straight. And, a mother fears for her 13-year-old daughter, Kelli, who drinks, smokes and is missing curfew. See what Dr. Phil has planned for Kelli. Plus, go backstage and get a sneak preview of Dr. Phil and Robin hosting the JCPenney Jam Concert for America's Kids, and learn how this organization is working hard to provide kids with opportunities after school. Talk about the show here.

Find out what happened on the show.

More August 2006 Show Boards.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

December 9, 2005, 3:27 pm CST

Stepmom totally self absorbed

Sometimes I just don't get it with some of these people.  This woman wants her and her stepdaughter to strive to be 0s, they're currently 2s, obviously very short women.  All I could hear out of the S'mom was her fear of growing old.  She needs to totally lighten up on the daughter and get real before she makes her a nervous wreck.  Of course, she talks about it per her Step Aunt, no pun intended as apparently their total life revolves around their weight or lack thereof. 

My petite granddaughter was down to a 3 for a while and I worried myself sick (during a period when she was on drugs no less); now she is a very healthy and gorgeous 8-10 in size...She is far from being overweight, only healthy. 

Give this teenager a break! 

December 9, 2005, 3:51 pm CST

At least there is a bond between step mom and child

Quote From: cathka

I think Dr. Phil dropped the ball big time on this stepmom.  It is obvious she is so self absorbed to not realize what a tender and impressionable age this child is and how many young girls her age (and younger) become anorexic and bullemic due to poor self image.  What a lousy message to send and role model to be that looks are all that is important in life.  That's a tragedy!
Where's the step dad?He is probably ok with all of this.

December 9, 2005, 4:15 pm CST

EEEWWWW

Quote From: bevsteffen

What is it with so many people these days that want relationships with others that are their childrens age?  I just don't get it! My daughter (single mother, 23) had a guy that was my age (44) interested in her. He ended up doing something that upset her so the relationship went no farther then them talking, however, he definatly wanted more.  

I think this is very hard for me to deal with because my ex-husband who was 34 at the time, ended up with a 16 year old that was engaged and pregnant by my son. 

Please help me understand this madness (my feelings). 

That's just gross!  I just wonder how your son feels towards his dad now?  I had the same experience with my father in law.  He was 51 at the time and I was 24.  I was dating his son at the time and he thought he would have a chance with me?????  Yeeeeaaaaaahhhhh, right!  I thought what a Jerk.  His son was obviously in love with me...we're married now, what NERVE!  Gross! 

December 9, 2005, 4:26 pm CST

12/09 Ask Dr. Phil & Robin

Quote From: lh2000

I think what they are trying to do is set people up for success.  I try to do this for my kids but some people don’t have the support system in place to provide this.  Yes they tended to reward people for making mistakes, but if you can turn these people’s life around by a simple kind act then why not?  If I had the means to help people like this I would find it very gratifying. 

It is true there are sometime little material rewards for doing what is right but that is not why most people do what is right in the first place.

It is really hard to judge people that appear on this show based on 30 second well edited clips of their lives.  I would expect that there is generally more to the story then what is seen on TV.

So if your nieces or nephews showed up on your door step needing a place to live you would send them packing if there was not enough room in your house?  Or are you saying you would let them stay but would not go looking for hand outs from others to help care for them?

Wow sometimes it makes me so sad to see people be so judgemental. Anything that Dr. Phil wants to do out of the goodness of his heart is his choice and for anyone to sit back and decide that his motivations are wrong is just sad. I wonder if jealousy doesn't play a part, are we angry because she got a tv/tivo for her short labor and you got "just" a beautiful, healthy baby. None of us knows if it was poor choice or life circumstance that put the family who got the trip and the house in the situation they were in when Dr Phil rescued them.

December 9, 2005, 4:39 pm CST

Stepmother and daughter

i do not think that it is right that this woman is giving this child a complex my goodness the child is a size 2. I would give anything in this world to be a size 2 or a 10 for that matter. The worst case scenario for that is that child will grow up to be anorexic or worse trying to get smaller. I have a 14 year old daughter and a 10 year old and they both wear a 9/10 and they are perfectly happy with their bodies and as long as they are happy i am happy. There is nothing wrong with being the size that God made you. I would really like to confront this woman and daughter if at all possible and let them see what it means to be happy with the way that you look. If you get this Dr.Phil. I would really like for that young lady to see my daughters. Thank you.

December 9, 2005, 4:43 pm CST

Sizes

Quote From: vaughn15

Sometimes I just don't get it with some of these people.  This woman wants her and her stepdaughter to strive to be 0s, they're currently 2s, obviously very short women.  All I could hear out of the S'mom was her fear of growing old.  She needs to totally lighten up on the daughter and get real before she makes her a nervous wreck.  Of course, she talks about it per her Step Aunt, no pun intended as apparently their total life revolves around their weight or lack thereof. 

My petite granddaughter was down to a 3 for a while and I worried myself sick (during a period when she was on drugs no less); now she is a very healthy and gorgeous 8-10 in size...She is far from being overweight, only healthy. 

Give this teenager a break! 

I am a healthy size 14 and work out 5-6 days a week. I  agree 110% with Robin. Its about health and I do not need to be a size 0 to be healthy. People are killing themselves to be skinny, we have to ask ourselves, what's worse, being a healthy size above 10 or killing ourselves to fit our butts into those size 0 jeans?

December 9, 2005, 4:48 pm CST

12/09 Ask Dr. Phil & Robin

Quote From: judyblue22

When we had our second child (we only have two), we involved our daughter in the whole thing.  The gap between them (51/2 years) was bigger than you have, so these ideas may not work for you.  I think the real essence of success lies in making sure that your daughter feels that the role of "big sister" is very important:  

• I had a book with photographs of the stages of fetal development so she knew what he looked like every month. 
  • She watched my ultrasounds.
  • She talked and sang to him in my tummy.
  • I don't remember where I got them, but I had a box of sample size baby products and she used them on her best friend, bunny foo-foo, to practice being a big sister. 
  • Before he was born, we picked out rattles and puppets for her to use to distract him if he cried.
  • She was at the hospital waiting when I had my planned c-section.
  • She was involved in choosing his name.
  • She was the first person to feed him pablum.
  • She taught him letters and numbers.

We also made sure that she was front and center and not overlooked by the extended family.  They are now 7 and 13 and their relationship has always been wonderful. I rarely see any signs of jealousy or rivalry. 

Way to go !!! You did so many great things for your child. I'm a mom of 3 and a Childcare provider, my second child was born with significant special needs and I'm ever thankful that I took the time during my pregnancy to help my then 2 yr old son get ready for the quality time shift that would occur. The truth is with 1 they get all our time, with 2 or more the time each child is given is less. That is just reality, but it is nice to see someone prepare thier child for that shift. As a childcare provider I see what happens when you don't, I always encourage my parents to involve thier children in all of thier life because life should not be happening to them. Let our little ones celebrate the joy in our life withh us...after all it's thier life too.

December 9, 2005, 4:58 pm CST

2 words for the size 2's

This segment really irritated me.  This step-mom was the worst step-model I have ever seen.  There are other things in this world that matter more than being a SIZE 2!  I was always a 7-10 until I contracted Lyme's Disease which snowballed into various other diseases.  See my profile if you are interested.  Anyway I hit Size 18 due to the drugs and cortizone, etc.  I was mortified and ashamed, but moreover, grateful that when all the exercise, rehabilitation and fighting the diseases were under control, I was not wheelchair bound!  That was my goal and I achieved it.  Over the years I have worked myself down to a size 12.  What's in the future?  I certainly don't know.  But I do know that I am not going to have my #1 priority bickering and comparing myself to a family member with an ongoing battle over being a SIZE 2!  LADIES......GET A LIFE, AND MOREOVER.....GET REAL!  Life is toooooooooooooooo short.     

Dianne Vreeland 

December 9, 2005, 5:01 pm CST

interesting

Quote From: heidilier

I am a healthy size 14 and work out 5-6 days a week. I  agree 110% with Robin. Its about health and I do not need to be a size 0 to be healthy. People are killing themselves to be skinny, we have to ask ourselves, what's worse, being a healthy size above 10 or killing ourselves to fit our butts into those size 0 jeans?
I thought it was interesting (and rather amusing) that the step aunt brought up that "the daughter  comes to us saying she's fat."   DUH! She is a teenager and all she wants to hear is the obligatory "no you're not fat, you're perfect."  Those women are so self-absorbed, instead of reflecting on their own behavior and what Dr. Phil was trying to communicate to them, they were hung up on the audience's reaction.  How can you even be a parent if you are that self-absorbed?

December 9, 2005, 5:10 pm CST

epidurals

I was abit confused with both Mr & Mrs McGraw's response to the use of drugs during childbirth after the guest wrote in to say she missed having her epidural because she stayed home to watch the "Dr. Phil' show...Robin always talks about  how her health motivates her  to stay healthy and Dr. Phil has had numerous shows on drug interventions and yet here they both are more or less advocating the use of drugs for childbirth........and the woman in question didn't want to continue with her delivery ( like she has any control over that !) until she had been given her drug........she was only in labour for a few hours ....... I think both Mr & Mrs McGraw were way off on this one....babies should come into this world the way nature intended ..not half asleep because their mum couldn't bare a little discomfort.......shame on both of you!

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | Next | Last