Message Boards

Topic : 08/21 Ask Dr. Phil & Robin with JCPenney Jam

Number of Replies: 128
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, December 02, 2005, 03:58:26 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1

(Original Air Date: 12/09/05) It's Ask Dr. Phil and Robin day! When they say "anything goes," the guests take full advantage. Melissa says her sex life is boring, and that it's all her husband, Spencer's, fault because he is too uptight. He says he's tired of being a piece of meat. Can they meet in the middle when it comes to the bedroom? Next, Russell says his daughter, Nyla, is a piano-playing prodigy. His wife thinks he's pushing Nyla too hard -- especially since she's only 7 months old! Then, a mother and her teenage stepdaughter compete to see who can eat less in order to lose weight, and Robin tries to set them straight. And, a mother fears for her 13-year-old daughter, Kelli, who drinks, smokes and is missing curfew. See what Dr. Phil has planned for Kelli. Plus, go backstage and get a sneak preview of Dr. Phil and Robin hosting the JCPenney Jam Concert for America's Kids, and learn how this organization is working hard to provide kids with opportunities after school. Talk about the show here.

Find out what happened on the show.

More August 2006 Show Boards.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

December 3, 2005, 10:56 am CST

rewarding bad behavior

Just wondering if anyone else is thinking that Dr Phil is SO wrong in rewarding bad behavior with glamorous trips and/or debt relief?  Like the combined families who were trying to live in too small quarters;  what does he do?   Give them a trip and build them a house.  Does that not tell people to go ahead and do whatever without  thinking of the consequences, and someone will come along and bail them out.  (whether it be Dr Phil, the neighborhood church, or the tax payers?)
Where are the rewards for couples who are doing it right?  Paying their bills - raising their kids-taking care of their parents?
The idea of offering them counseling or help is good.  But extravagant rewards are wasted on the (ignorent) ones who get THEMSELVES into messes.
What do you think?

December 4, 2005, 9:02 am CST

Simply trying to set people up for success

Quote From: lindakey

Just wondering if anyone else is thinking that Dr Phil is SO wrong in rewarding bad behavior with glamorous trips and/or debt relief?  Like the combined families who were trying to live in too small quarters;  what does he do?   Give them a trip and build them a house.  Does that not tell people to go ahead and do whatever without  thinking of the consequences, and someone will come along and bail them out.  (whether it be Dr Phil, the neighborhood church, or the tax payers?)
Where are the rewards for couples who are doing it right?  Paying their bills - raising their kids-taking care of their parents?
The idea of offering them counseling or help is good.  But extravagant rewards are wasted on the (ignorent) ones who get THEMSELVES into messes.
What do you think?

I think what they are trying to do is set people up for success.  I try to do this for my kids but some people don’t have the support system in place to provide this.  Yes they tended to reward people for making mistakes, but if you can turn these people’s life around by a simple kind act then why not?  If I had the means to help people like this I would find it very gratifying. 

It is true there are sometime little material rewards for doing what is right but that is not why most people do what is right in the first place.

It is really hard to judge people that appear on this show based on 30 second well edited clips of their lives.  I would expect that there is generally more to the story then what is seen on TV.

So if your nieces or nephews showed up on your door step needing a place to live you would send them packing if there was not enough room in your house?  Or are you saying you would let them stay but would not go looking for hand outs from others to help care for them?

December 4, 2005, 11:38 am CST

Rewards

Quote From: lindakey

What do you think?

I don't think he rewards BAD BEHAVIOUR - I think he did a very nice thing for those people and many others on his show - believe me having had problems bring up five boys years ago and some good years and bad years I would have loved to have had a "Dr. Phil" in my neighbourhood that I could have reached out to.  I deserve a lot of things but unfortunately have not been so lucky to benefit and most of the time I feel good that he is able to help so many people that deserve it.  Good Luck to them and Congratulations Dr.Phil I love your show and wish you had been around when I needed you.     KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK! 

December 8, 2005, 3:02 pm CST

12/09 Ask Dr. Phil & Robin

I really enjoy these shows, and like the fact that Robin is there to give advice too. I will definately watch! Can't wait to see it!!! 

December 8, 2005, 5:20 pm CST

After 19 years Dr. Phil gave me the answer

19 years ago I divorced a man who had molested his daughter before we were married.  Second marriage for both of us.  He did not tell me but I suspected something was not right before the marriage.  He convinced me I had evil thoughts and it was nothing going on even when they went camping in his van alone and slept on the back bunk.  We married and 3 years later his mother called me and told me his daughter had confessed to her about the situation with her Dad.  Her Dad then told me it happened when his daughter 15years old crawled in bed with him while his wife was away.  He never asked for forgiveness or thought it was really wrong.  He said he never penetrated her.  After the divorce I could not get it straight in my mind why I could not forgive him as I have had to be forgiven by God for things in my life.  Dr. Phil recently stated "that any marriage entered with deception could not last."  That did it for me.  My marriage was entered with deception and I was not the one deceiving.  Thank you Dr. Phil. 

December 8, 2005, 8:56 pm CST

why

i can understand the husband , but i  no longer have a drive,41 and diabetic. kids are in bed early and in their room. stress and my weight are a huge factor.  

is there any way to find out if either of my kids are prodigies? 

December 9, 2005, 5:00 am CST

Old enough to be the parent

What is it with so many people these days that want relationships with others that are their childrens age?  I just don't get it! My daughter (single mother, 23) had a guy that was my age (44) interested in her. He ended up doing something that upset her so the relationship went no farther then them talking, however, he definatly wanted more.  

I think this is very hard for me to deal with because my ex-husband who was 34 at the time, ended up with a 16 year old that was engaged and pregnant by my son. 

Please help me understand this madness (my feelings). 

December 9, 2005, 6:00 am CST

I would love to know also

Quote From: bevsteffen

What is it with so many people these days that want relationships with others that are their childrens age?  I just don't get it! My daughter (single mother, 23) had a guy that was my age (44) interested in her. He ended up doing something that upset her so the relationship went no farther then them talking, however, he definatly wanted more.  

I think this is very hard for me to deal with because my ex-husband who was 34 at the time, ended up with a 16 year old that was engaged and pregnant by my son. 

Please help me understand this madness (my feelings). 

Recently in my state (GA) a 37 year old woman married her 15 year  old boyfriend because she was pregnant with his child.  I am 35 years old and I can't anything more repugnant that climbing in the sack with a teenager and have him fumbling around  eeeeeeewwwwwwwww.  As far as the geezers and the young babes:  A fool and his money are soon parted!

December 9, 2005, 7:08 am CST

Unhealthy Competition- Unhealthy Attitudes?

The one woman has gotten through life on her looks. Is that really something to be proud of? When these two women compete with eachother for a size zero, it makes me feel enormous at a size 8 . I have no idea how tall they are, but a size 2 or 0 is tiny for nearly everyone.  I wonder what goes through thier minds when they are out and about and see someone who is larger than they are...are they disgusted?  I have much more respect for someone who looks closer to fourty than twenty when they are 40..it just seems more natural...is it really making yourself beautiful if it's obvious that it's fake?  I know, I know...I don't live with these women, and so on, but it still bothers me that they are unhappy with themselves at a size two. It also seems like all thier competition is physical. When the 15 yr old girl brings a boyfriend home, is her step mother going to try to win his approval as well?   

December 9, 2005, 7:10 am CST

Unhealthy competition...unhealthy attitudes?

The one woman has gotten through life on her looks. Is that really something to be proud of? When these two women compete with eachother for a size zero, it makes me feel enormous at a size 8 . I have no idea how tall they are, but a size 2 or 0 is tiny for nearly everyone.  I wonder what goes through thier minds when they are out and about and see someone who is larger than they are...are they disgusted?  I have much more respect for someone who looks closer to fourty than twenty when they are 40..it just seems more natural...is it really making yourself beautiful if it's obvious that it's fake?  I know, I know...I don't live with these women, and so on, but it still bothers me that they are unhappy with themselves at a size two. It also seems like all thier competition is physical. When the 15 yr old girl brings a boyfriend home, is her step mother going to try to win his approval as well?  

Also, if this msg has been posted numerous times, it's because I am having problems w/ my computer 

First Page | Previous Page | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Next | Last