Message Boards

Topic : 01/02 New Year: Old Habits

Number of Replies: 66
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Wednesday, December 28, 2005, 12:01:15 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
It's the start of a new year, and the perfect time to work on those pesky resolutions that you've been putting off for so long! Dr. Phil gives his guests a jump-start by helping them eliminate unwanted old habits. Rebecca and her sisters have an extreme fear of driving. They have to be chauffeured around by family and friends, and they're tired of being a burden on others. Find out what's behind their fears. Then, Gail thought she’d never be able to dig herself out from all the clutter in her home … until Dr. Phil gave her the surprise of a lifetime! Plus, meet a mom whose resolution is to get her family to pick up after themselves. She's so desperate that she started selling whatever they leave on the floor -- on eBay! Join the discussion.

Find out what happened on the show.

More January 2006 Show Boards.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

January 23, 2006, 1:15 pm CST

Help is waiting for you

Quote From: bramale75

hi everyone, 

I really need your help on my 15 year old habit. I am a 28 year old woman but have been pulling my hair out since I was 13.  I have had only 3 hair cut during the last 15 years because I am so embarrassed to be exposed with empty spots on my scalp.  I alway have to wear hat wherever I go. I shaved my head  3 months ago trying to change my bad habit, but it didn't work. I am still pulling my hair out.   I look terrible.  

I desperately need help.  I want my own natural hair in full.  Please please help me.  

Hi.  I saw a segment about obsessive-compulsive disorder some time ago that profiled a woman with exactly the same habit.  She went to a therapist specializing in OCD who helped her to stop.   I wish you all the best.

January 23, 2006, 1:53 pm CST

This might be your problem

Quote From: brwneyes0

With regards to hitting the snooze button repeatedly in the morning.... this is a real problem for me too.  I was actually looking forward to this segment of the program, hoping that Dr. Phil would offer some better advise, other than being lazy.  I have the same alarm clock called the "Screamin' Meanie" that was shown on the program, (110 decibals). Believe it or not.... I sleep so soundly that I will sleep through that alarm (as well as a regular alarm with music set full blast) for more than ten  minutes before shutting it off.  I quite often will shut it off and don't remember doing it.  I have had the neighbour who lives about 100 feet down the road call me on the phone to get me to shut my alarms off because he could hear them in his house.  This is not laziness..... this is trying to wake the dead.  One time, in my early 20's I worked a midnight shift.... therefore sleeping through the day, and there was a fire in the apartment below mine and I didn't hear the fire alarm that had been going off for over an hour.  The only reason they knew I was sleeping in the building was my roommate convinced the firemen to check our apartment, knowing that I was such a sound sleeper and wouldn't hear the alarm.  Sure enough.... I was sound asleep. 

I have often wondered if my sound sleeping was caused by my parents when I was a child.  My parents were not the type to tip-toe around the house just because the kids were asleep.  This was their time to enjoy or do things they couldn't do while we were awake, so that is is when they would listen to loud music or vacuum (right under my crib), therefore forcing me to sleep soundly. Also,  I often wonder if the fact that I never had any children of my own, my sleeping habits never changed.  Many mothers say they sleep much lighter after having kids. 

I have spoke to my Doctor about this "problem" to see if perhaps I needed to go to a sleep clinic.  He kind of got a chuckle out of it and said that he had never had anyone ask about sleeping too soundly.... it's usually not sleeping well enough.  His suggestion to me was to perhaps set up a bright light on a timer that would shine into my face in the morning.   I would love to get my hands on the device Dr. Phil gave everyone on the show..... just to see what my sleep patterns are. 

I know this is a little long winded, but I can so relate to what was being discussed, but I just don't feel being lazy is the full extent of my problem.  I get a good night's sleep.... most people do when then go into a coma! 

I don't know if your doctor's right or wrong about you personally but he's one of many who don't know enough about sleep apnea.  It's a condition where you stop breathing while you're asleep because your tongue or palate block your throat.   My sleep test showed that this was happening 60 times a night and that I'd sometimes stop breathing for more than two minutes. I didn't know it because I didn't wake up enough to be conscious of it, but my body sure knew it was always tired.  It wasn't getting the quality of it needs.  I wasn't diagnosed for 7 years, which isn't unusual at all.  According to the American Sleep Apnea Association site ( http://www.sleepapnea.org/index.html) "sleep apnea is very common, as common as adult diabetes, and affects more than twelve million Americans, according to the National Institutes of Health.  Yet still because of the lack of awareness by the public and healthcare professionals, the vast majority remain undiagnosed and therefore untreated, despite the fact that this serious disorder can have significant consequences."  Talk to your doctor again.  If he's still chuckling it's time to try another doctor. 

January 23, 2006, 2:03 pm CST

Re the lady who overslept: did I miss something?

Hi.  Dr. Phil said the lady had trouble waking up because she was avoiding some problems in her life.  The gift of the wake-up device was nice, but won't help her solve them.  Did he recommend therapy when I wasn't looking?  I hope so.

January 25, 2006, 7:37 am CST

The lovely snooze button

I would avoid getting for years, just so I wouldn't have to deal with every day life.  I would have to set my alarm for 4 to make sure I was up for 7, and some morning it would even push to 7H30am.  I really did not want to get out of bed and face life.  Now I get up after the second time i push snooze.  I set it for 5H30, it rerings at 5h45, and then at 6 I am up.  I feel if I set for the time I need to get up I have alot more trouble doing things, so I give myself some wake up time before needing to wake up.

March 7, 2006, 9:10 am CST

smokers

Hi, I need to quit smoking I was looking for the support section in here , but it seems you can only post on new topics. Is this how this site works. There seemed to be alot of people writing about the addition but you can only read. Is there a chat room in dr.phil site? I am lost and wish I can find others to help with this sick habit.

August 17, 2006, 4:04 pm CDT

Im a smoker too having a hard time

Quote From: dreamer20

Hi, I need to quit smoking I was looking for the support section in here , but it seems you can only post on new topics. Is this how this site works. There seemed to be alot of people writing about the addition but you can only read. Is there a chat room in dr.phil site? I am lost and wish I can find others to help with this sick habit.

Hi,

I too am a smoker and was told i have 80 yr old lungs at age 26. I am a singer and smoking is ruining my life in every since. Yet i cant seem to kick the habit . I too have been trying to make friends who could support me too . if you want we can be friends

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | Next Page | Last Page