Message Boards

Topic : 01/05 "Am I Cursed?"

Number of Replies: 508
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Wednesday, December 28, 2005, 12:06:14 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1

Do you believe that walking under a ladder or someone giving you the "evil eye" can give you bad luck? Dr. Phil's guests say that curses and evil spirits are wreaking havoc in their lives. Sarah is convinced that she's hexed. For the last five years, she has been plagued with what she calls the "Tuesday Curse." Watch what happens when Dr. Phil's producers follow her around on her "unlucky" day. Then, George is convinced he is reaping the negative effects of a curse put on his family years ago in Mexico. He has even put his wedding plans on hold because he fears the curse will cause him to divorce! Plus, David worries that his wife, Holly, may be possessed because she has had the same nightmare for the past seven years, and she has been talking in a man’s voice, speaking in a foreign tongue and barking like a dog. What's behind her fearsome dreams? And, a woman claims an exorcism, performed by her father 26 years ago, put demons inside of her.  Share your thoughts.

Find out what happened on the show.

More January 2006 Show Boards.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

January 5, 2006, 2:38 pm CST

Look at the brighter side, there really always is one!

Quote From: shamrock42

Come on, guys!  Life is not perfect!  Bad things happen to good people!  Everyone has some form of health, family, house, job and car problem and as bad as you think  yours are, I promise you...pick three random people walking through a park and you will find at least one of them has problems bigger than yours.  Life is not perfect, road bumps keep us going, make us stronger and teach us humility.  Wasn't that a Twilight Zone episode when the guy woke up in Heaven, everything was PERFECT and he went insane??  The only curse I believe in is the one you strap to your own back filled with thoughts of "WHY ME??"  You shouldn't do good things only to get good things back...do good things because it's right.  People are too quick to count up the bad things instead of the good things in their life.

I don't know that anyone leads a charmed life! Some people choose to focus on the parts of their life that are charmed and this brings them into a more positive way of thinking and attracts others around them to that same way of thinking.  If a husband has had heart surgery and is home with his wife and the wife has experienced a life where others leave her behind.  The wife could look at the positive, the husband is not leaving you but there and ever-present needing you to appreciate his presence and make him feel that there is something positive for him in all that he is going through.  The surgery may be a negative, but what is the alternative and what some women wouldn't give for their husband's to have made it long enough to have the surgery so that they would still have their husband here to spend time with.  Appreciate what you have and stop focusing on what you don't have.  Focus on the good, there is lots of it! You could find a hundred, even a thousand or maybe a million people who are worse off than you right now.  The news causes us to focus on the negative of everyday. We must teach ourselves to focus on the positive.  Look at all of the people on the news everyday that are worse off than we are. 

We all have trials and tribulations in our lives, they are also known as lessons and growth! 

Good luck! Life is a gift and it is our responsibility to treasure it and use it in the best possible way and to never forget the value of a moment in time.  We are forever creating memories for ourselves but more importantly, for those in our world.  Each and every moment-PRECIOUS!  

January 5, 2006, 2:38 pm CST

01/05 "Am I Cursed?"

Quote From: carmenbond

Keep a tape recorder by your bed.  When you awake and hear your husband "speaking in tongues" record it.  The next day you can not only let him hear it but take it to a local college or contact a linguest (sorry about the spelling) to see if they can figure out if it is possibly a known launguage or is, as Dr. Phil has suggested, jibberish the brain is producing out of the mass amounts of stress we put on ourselves daily (my own words here from what I've "interpreted" Dr. Phil to be saying).
That's what I was thinking- I want to hear a tape and a linguist's opinion!  That would tell you real quick if this was a real language (assuming it's not extinct or unknown language, which is possible, but her husband said it sounds like Latin.)

January 5, 2006, 2:39 pm CST

I paid money at a sleep disorder center

I had the worst  nightmares all my adult life- just like your guest!  Finally one night I had a dream that I was shot from the back with a shotgun and I saw my insides fly out the front of me.  I decided then that I needed relief from the nightmares.  I paid lots of money for a two-day study at Mayo Clinic.  They basically told me I was an anxious person (just like half the women in this country!) and that the anxiety was making it hard for me to get into a deep sleep.  They told me to learn to relax, gave me hypnosis, and gave me drug options.  Nothing really worked for me until I read on the internet that some people used Benadryl to sleep, so every night for the last five years I've taken two Benadryl an hour before bed and I usually sleep without dreams until my alarm goes off.  I spent many evenings searching for ideas on the internet, and I know this won't work for everyone, but, yeah, I could've thought that I was posessed and crazy too, but I'm a Christian and I don't give Satan that much credit!  Best wishes to all those still suffering- start looking and keep praying.  

January 5, 2006, 2:40 pm CST

cursed

When I was young, my sisters and their friends had a seance in our house and used the weedge board alot. I was not religious growning up and don't believe in God or the Devil or evil spirits or angels. But as time has gone by, I have thought that I am cursed. My mother was the 20th child of 22 born to the same parents and has had a hard, uneducated life, caught in the 'cycle of abuse'. So I feel that if her parents would have only had a few kids and her not be born, in turn I would not be here or my children and grandchildren, I wouldn't have all of the bad things happen to me and maybe my husband would have had a better life. We have never had good luck of any kind. I am grateful to have a roof over my head, a job to help with financially and a husband that is caring and not abusive in any way. But I feel guilty because I feel cursed and he could have done better without me. I feel cursed because we never seem to be able to get ahead. Everytime I save alittle money and get caught up on bills, something else comes up and there goes the savings. I recently lost my job and took the first part time job that was offered just to keep money coming in. My husband had an injury at work five years ago and has never really recovered fully. He is currently back in a doctors care. He has kept his job through all the pain and days missed, he has suffered with this injury and still keeps going. Our oldest daughter and her husband lost their house due to medical bills and moved in with us, our middle daughter is getting divorced after five years of marriage, our son keeps losing jobs due to his asthma and our youngest daughter has missed more school in the last four years than she's been there. No doctor can tell us why, she's been tested for alot of things and they keep telling us there is nothing wrong with her. Our oldest daughter, her husband, my husband, our son and myself all have different forms of arthritis I also have Menires Disease and our oldest daughter is on many medications for other physical problems. We live from paycheck to paycheck and are always one step from being homeless.I know people have hardships and ups and downs in life, but I think we've had more than our share. I called a debt consolidation place to lump my bills and get them paid off and they gave me a monthly quote that I couldn't possibly afford. I can't get a consolidation loan because I don't own anything but an old car. I really don't know how people make it in this world and I'll be glad when I'm old and my life is over. Don't suppose I could have a do over? karen

January 5, 2006, 2:45 pm CST

LIFE HAPPENS

I don't believe in curses, however I do believe that there is good an evil in this world.  One thing God gave all humans is the ability to reason and make choices.  We can choose our thoughts and our reactions to life situations beit negative or positive.  My heart went out to the guests Sarah & George who can only see the negative and not the everyday good about their lifes. We all have life troubles, just ask the people in New Orleans and Gulf Port, MS,  life just keep happening to them.  Those people are not cursed anymore than they are.   

The poor lady whose father preformed an exercism on her at the age of 9, really needs to know the truth about God and his overwelming love for her.  I pray she finds a well taught, well balanced church home. 

I like Holly would battle evil spirits in my dreams as well.  I had dreamed of outright battles with evil spirits that were coming to take my grandmother, who died a slow death with Alzhemer.  Each time I would defeat them,  I felt so good that I had stopped them from taking her.  I noticed Holly said 7 years ago her close friend died and for 7 years she has been having these dreams.   I believe there to be a connection. 

What helped me was to release my grandmother,  I have no right to keep her on this earth for me by fighting off what I thought were evil spirits of death.  Holly maybe needs to do the same and realize she can't fight off bad things happening. Both her friend and my grandmother are in a far better place with not sickness or pain.   

January 5, 2006, 2:46 pm CST

When The Shadow Falls Some Of Us Follow!

All energy flows within are lives from the day we are born. The Shadow is the electric negitive charge that we all pass as we become our own living energy. All of us have passed by these dark, negitive shadows on or way here. Those of us who did not  really want to  be here come in with a less than open spirit. This is the weakness that allows these shadows to cling to us from birth. There are the stronger ones of us that can present there will over these shadows., but many of us are keepers. We keepers will into our lives punishments, and lost chances or  lost people to relieve us of some of the guilt of not being true dwellers. If you are honest and you sit and let your true spirit come in to you, you will feel that awesome saddnes that is the keepers true self.This is how and why the negitive is always around you. The truth is you can use this to many possitive ways in your life and other peoples lives. The downside is keepers are ussally Loners. I know because I am one!

January 5, 2006, 2:50 pm CST

01/05 "Am I Cursed?"

Quote From: bobrod001

I think I used to have some of the same problems.  It may be as Dr. Phil said (an emotional "tug-of-war"), mine was a tug-of-war of good vs. bad.  I used to have strong nightmares as a young adult and believe that I've actually had a nightmare or two (with my eyes wide open).  I have most recently (since 1988) lived in an older home (built in 1900) that on occasions, would allow me the privilege of a female apparition in the wee hours.  (I've been asked to refrain from talking about such things with visiting company). 

All that aside... I must have found a cure.  The apparitions stopped and rarely do I have nightmares anymore and if I do, I usually come out the winner.  I may have missed part of the show but I didn't hear the word "Devil" brought up, was the discussion leaning toward "possession"?   Not many people admit that they believe in a "dark side" but, in fact, do.  In  many cases simply because it may open up a conversation on religion if they professed an actual fear of demons or curses, bad Karma or whatever (and who wants to go down that road)!  I never understood why (even though I'd been looking for signs) I could always find evil in this world (the works of which are always more easily recognized) but could hardly ever find good in all the bad I was seeing.   

You "do" believe that "what goes up must come down", don't you?  Then you would probably believe the opposite of bad is good.  If you think you may have sided or have been selected for the "bad" side or that you somehow ended up on the wrong team, you just need to change the team you're on.  You don't have to be the best hitter in the ballpark to change teams, you just simply have to want to play.  You wont need a resume either.  Just make the decision to be on the other (good) team and "you're in" and believe me when I tell you, good always wins over bad.  Good created bad.  You can't have bad unless you had good first.  Good is a million times bigger and stronger than bad.  If you believe in good without having to understand fully how it good works and trust that no matter what it "just works", it will and your problems will be over.   

I've had to make a commitment to myself to remembering I'm on the good side now.  Simply put, that's what cured me.  No longer afraid of nightmares, no longer afraid of anything.  If bad wants to possess me, it's going to have to get through good first. 

...and if you're still wondering "what in the world is he talking about", simply take one "o" out of every single "good" in this message. 

...Amen to you, I couldn't agree more... 

And then some... 

...Darkness is simply the absense of light...If you live, breath and are consciously connected and filled with light (loving healing energy, doesn't matter if you are christian or buddhist) knowing that is who you are and what you represent there just isn't room for demons, darkness, shadows, etc.... 

...as humans we all have a shadow side...some peoples is just a little darker than others, all we need to do is put some light on it, through understanding and a positive belief system. 

January 5, 2006, 2:50 pm CST

01/05 "Am I Cursed?"

Quote From: bobrod001

I think I used to have some of the same problems.  It may be as Dr. Phil said (an emotional "tug-of-war"), mine was a tug-of-war of good vs. bad.  I used to have strong nightmares as a young adult and believe that I've actually had a nightmare or two (with my eyes wide open).  I have most recently (since 1988) lived in an older home (built in 1900) that on occasions, would allow me the privilege of a female apparition in the wee hours.  (I've been asked to refrain from talking about such things with visiting company). 

All that aside... I must have found a cure.  The apparitions stopped and rarely do I have nightmares anymore and if I do, I usually come out the winner.  I may have missed part of the show but I didn't hear the word "Devil" brought up, was the discussion leaning toward "possession"?   Not many people admit that they believe in a "dark side" but, in fact, do.  In  many cases simply because it may open up a conversation on religion if they professed an actual fear of demons or curses, bad Karma or whatever (and who wants to go down that road)!  I never understood why (even though I'd been looking for signs) I could always find evil in this world (the works of which are always more easily recognized) but could hardly ever find good in all the bad I was seeing.   

You "do" believe that "what goes up must come down", don't you?  Then you would probably believe the opposite of bad is good.  If you think you may have sided or have been selected for the "bad" side or that you somehow ended up on the wrong team, you just need to change the team you're on.  You don't have to be the best hitter in the ballpark to change teams, you just simply have to want to play.  You wont need a resume either.  Just make the decision to be on the other (good) team and "you're in" and believe me when I tell you, good always wins over bad.  Good created bad.  You can't have bad unless you had good first.  Good is a million times bigger and stronger than bad.  If you believe in good without having to understand fully how it good works and trust that no matter what it "just works", it will and your problems will be over.   

I've had to make a commitment to myself to remembering I'm on the good side now.  Simply put, that's what cured me.  No longer afraid of nightmares, no longer afraid of anything.  If bad wants to possess me, it's going to have to get through good first. 

...and if you're still wondering "what in the world is he talking about", simply take one "o" out of every single "good" in this message. 

...Amen to you, I couldn't agree more... 

And then some... 

...Darkness is simply the absense of light...If you live, breath and are consciously connected and filled with light (loving healing energy, doesn't matter if you are christian or buddhist) knowing that is who you are and what you represent there just isn't room for demons, darkness, shadows, etc.... 

...as humans we all have a shadow side...some peoples is just a little darker than others, all we need to do is put some light on it, through understanding and a positive belief system. 

January 5, 2006, 2:51 pm CST

i believe...to a certain extent

I do believe that there are good and bad forces in this world outside of the form of humans. I do believe people can be cursed or others may try to curse someone. However, I believe that the more you focus and are concerned and fearful of things such as curses and hexes then you enable yourself to become a victim. i believe that if you begin to believe you are cursed then you bring about behavior that is characteristic of being cursed. A strong faith and belief that good always prevails is all the protection anyone needs from any dark, negative forces in this world whether they be physical or not.

January 5, 2006, 2:51 pm CST

I do believe in curses

As I was growing up, my sister that was 19 years my elder, always said I was worthless and she would make me pay someday.  She had such evil in her eyes that it was like she was putting a curse on me.  She never accepted my birth to my parents late in life at the ages of 40 and 44.  She always said I took them away from her time.  To make a long story short, she was a horrible and truly hateful person.  No matter what good things I did she would always mastermind a scam to convince others I wasn't a good person.  I always tried to be good to people and I had alot of great  friends that also noticed her evil ways.  She even told my husband  (before we were married) that he was too good for me and I didn't deserve him.  I  never had a chance with her.  She especially lost it after the birth of my son, since she had 4 girls.  She wouldn't talk to me and behind my back, she would tell people in our community how we didn't want a son.  So, needless to say we lost contact with her.
After many years of loneliness, she passed away last year at age 63, leaving 4 beautiful grown daughters, 8 grandchildren and 3 ex-husbands, that she always belittled as well.  Since then, my family has had many hardships and heartaches and I truly believe it's her watching over us, making me pay and my son to deal with many problems as well.  There are just too many coincidences that have occurred for us not to believe she has cursed our lives.  Our life without her was very normal until the day of her death?   I have also had reoccurring nightmares as well.

First | Prev | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | Next | Last