Message Boards

Topic : 01/05 "Am I Cursed?"

Number of Replies: 508
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Wednesday, December 28, 2005, 12:06:14 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1

Do you believe that walking under a ladder or someone giving you the "evil eye" can give you bad luck? Dr. Phil's guests say that curses and evil spirits are wreaking havoc in their lives. Sarah is convinced that she's hexed. For the last five years, she has been plagued with what she calls the "Tuesday Curse." Watch what happens when Dr. Phil's producers follow her around on her "unlucky" day. Then, George is convinced he is reaping the negative effects of a curse put on his family years ago in Mexico. He has even put his wedding plans on hold because he fears the curse will cause him to divorce! Plus, David worries that his wife, Holly, may be possessed because she has had the same nightmare for the past seven years, and she has been talking in a man’s voice, speaking in a foreign tongue and barking like a dog. What's behind her fearsome dreams? And, a woman claims an exorcism, performed by her father 26 years ago, put demons inside of her.  Share your thoughts.

Find out what happened on the show.

More January 2006 Show Boards.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

January 5, 2006, 8:23 am CST

01/05 "Am I Cursed?"

Quote From: xplay25

I certainly think those without God's protection could be tormented by demons,  and one could interpret this as a curse.  I believe that demons are very real,  and very much around us today.  And I assume they have all sorts of crafty ways in which to torment man.  So you may have demonic influence hanging over you.  For this I have two very fundamental pieces advice:

Do not buy anything from the home of a person who you do not know. 

Do not go to fortune tellers,  psychics,  or anyone that dabbles in the Occult in general.

And, a woman claims an exorcism, performed by her father 26 years ago, put demons inside of her.  Share your thoughts.

I would not doubt that demonic influence was involved.  However,  this man's history and the methods he used would need examining before I could speculate on what this could have been.

I totally agree, thus God's word of protection specfically written in the Book of Ephesians.  I plead the blood of Jesus every single day.  Many years ago, the Lord took me out of that environment and showed me his Word. 

People need to be educated on the open doorways that allow these demons access to their lives.   We need more Christian teachers out there explaining these things. 

Great post. 

January 5, 2006, 8:46 am CST

Cursed HELP and ADVICE to viewers and guests

I watched the show this morning and was a bit disappointed; however, I did want to give some personal advice that I believe will truly help some of the viewers on today's show. 

For starters, I do believe that there are demonic forces all around us, which, according to Scripture in the Bible, are naked to the human eye. I'm going to list a few resources that I would highly recommend to those who believe they may be in the presence of unseen evil forces. I believe demonic forces are absolutely real, because I have experienced their presence before. Being a born again follower of Jesus Christ, it is also my belief that they cannot harm me, and that I can command them to leave. I also believe that because each of us is targeted by our enemy, the devil (Satan), that we will all be tempted and pursued by demonic spirits thorughout our lives; however, there are ways to combat them if a person has refuge in Christ.  

If you aren't sure what you believe, be it in God or some religion, or whatever, I STRONGLY urge you to get a copy of an invaluable resource. It's called "Why I Believe" and can be found online at www.lote.org All one has to do to find this resource, is go to the website, search for "Why I Believe" and information about this CD set will pop up! If you have ANY questions about the accuracy of the Bible, how the Bible came to exist, who God truly is, and why Jesus is so relevant to his followers (Christians), I would recommend you get this CD set. The set is based on sound research. In fact, 60% of the research given in the set was performed and compiled by "secular" scientists and historians. Secular meaning: "non-Christians." I have studied religion for over 12 years and can attest to the accuracy of the information in the CD series. It will open one's eyes to truth, so one can see both sides of the "God" debate. It isn't about religion and it won't try to convert someone to become or endorse a specific religion. It simply states facts about God and the Bible based on years of sound research. 

Now that I've made that suggestion, I'd like to make another one. If a person believes he/she is cursed, confronted, or harrassed by demons or some other unseen presence, they should first get a hold of that CD series so they can evaluate their personal beliefs. Once they have come to some type of conclusion, if they decide they do believe in God through Jesus Christ, then I strongly suggest they get copies of the following resources to aid in the removal of all curses, demonic forces, etc., that may be overwhelming their lives.  

I strongly suggest those concerned to get copies of two books and one paperback workbook(available at Amazon and other bookstores): 

1.) Victory over the Darkness by Neil T. Anderson 

2.) The Beginner's Guide to Spiritual Warfare 

There are also workbooks available, written by the same author. One helps the reader work through what may be creating some of the demonic warfare.  

3.) Workbook: Steps to Freedom in Christ 

One lady on the show was living in total torment regarding an exorcism that had been performed on her as a child. I want to make another recommendation. You are not experiencing the joy God intends for you. You question your relationship with God, and with Jesus Christ. I have been there, so I am recommending this from experience as well. Get copies of the aforementioned resources, including the one "Why I Believe" because it will without any doubt, clear your mind. Anyone who is a believer should get copies of the books below. They will teach you the "other" half of the gospel that so many churches and preachers never talk about. You will learn who you are according to God, how you can reprogram your mind to truth, how you can live a joyful life and experience all God has done for you, AND, you will learn how the resurrection of Christ applies to your life. You will also learn whether or not you are truly a child of God.  

Also, try to get copies of the following: 

1.) The Confident Woman, Knowing Who You Are In Christ by Anabel Gillham 

2.) Classic Christianity by Bob George 

These are my recommendations. If anyone here wishes to discuss these resources, feel free to post a reply to this message, and I will happily engage in conversation with you as soon as I can. The resources I mentioned above are ones I have put to use in my own life. I also know others who have successfully used these resources as well. I have personally achieved freedom, significance, and joy having read, understood, learned, and applied the information from them, and could not recommend them more for both believers of Christ, and non-believers who truly desire to know the truth about who they are, why they were created, and why they exist.  

Many blessings! 

January 5, 2006, 9:07 am CST

Am I Cursed?

Quote From: laurie119

Regardless of one's faith or lack thereof, whether you believe in them or not, curses do exist.  Just because one doesn't believe in the existence of a spiritual realm does not mean it does not exist.  I am not sure if these people are cursed or there is a generational curse upon them and their families but what is happening to them is something they should consider very carefully.  May be, it is God trying to get their attention to wake them up or help them to wake others up.  The Word of God is LOADED with information on curses, unclean spirits, evil spirits, and how to deal with them, get rid of them, how they came to be, and how we can cause them to come upon ourselves. 

My suggestion to all the people who were on the show whether you believe in God or not is that if you truly want to get rid of what is happening or even just want some sort of understanding regarding what is happening, I suggest you find a good Bible, (and it doesn't have to be the King James Version, there are plenty of versions out there that are completely understandable that you can read; I suggest the NIV or NKJV) look in the very back of it in the concordance and look up the words, curses, spirits, mediums, etc.... you have nothing to lose and everything to gain. 
 I like this answer, as well as a couple of others. If God is for us, who can be against us? Jesus came to not only save us but to give us power to live. The Holy Spirit is oh so much stronger than anything the devil can throw at us. If we believe in Jesus, he gives us the Holy Spirit. The Bible says that greater is he that is in us than he that is in the world. There is no magic or formula or ritual. Just bring yourself to Jesus in prayer. All that is required is faith.

Then read a Bible (preferably the New Testament first; the gospel of John, and the book of Acts, and then Galatians). I have some experience with this, and it is not as bad as people try to make it. Jesus merely spoke a word and people were delivered. There is protection from evil when one believes. Give it a chance. God is first of all love. There is power in the name of Jesus.

Then, also do the things Dr. Phil suggested. He is steering you folks right, without stepping out of his role as counselor. If he did decide to preach, I would listen to him then too. He seems like a believer to me.

January 5, 2006, 9:17 am CST

01/05 "Am I Cursed?"

Quote From: popptart

There are lots of ways of being cursed, I belive we can curse ourselves and not even know it. We can curse our children, without meaning it. My life has been less then charmed, but about 10 years ago I started to 'belive in carma' sort of like the new show 'My name is Earl' and began to try to live my life as honest and true as I could, nothing has changed nothing in my life has got better, yet I continue to try to live honestly and continue to get dirt kicked in my face. 

I even tried to re-start my life, I got married, had a baby and thought I was finally going to live happily ever after, far from the truth, I had EXTREAMLY bad post pardom and befor my daughter turned one my husband of only 2 years had heart surgery and has had complications since and been out of work. 

My real mother left me when I was 5 months old, my father the same, and my aunt who I knew as mom dumped me in 2002. My husband was a healthy sane man when we married, and I cant help but think looking at him now, sick and at home, that I am cursed and have been since the first time I was left . 

Come on, guys!  Life is not perfect!  Bad things happen to good people!  Everyone has some form of health, family, house, job and car problem and as bad as you think  yours are, I promise you...pick three random people walking through a park and you will find at least one of them has problems bigger than yours.  Life is not perfect, road bumps keep us going, make us stronger and teach us humility.  Wasn't that a Twilight Zone episode when the guy woke up in Heaven, everything was PERFECT and he went insane??  The only curse I believe in is the one you strap to your own back filled with thoughts of "WHY ME??"  You shouldn't do good things only to get good things back...do good things because it's right.  People are too quick to count up the bad things instead of the good things in their life.

January 5, 2006, 9:25 am CST

Balance

I certainly empathized with the people on Dr. Phil's show.  I think he did a good job on getting them started towards healing. 

To my embarrassment, I have experienced some evil supernatural phenomenon and wish to offer some advice. 

On one extreme, it is very easy to blame everything on the supernatural when things go wrong in our lives.  On the other extreme, it can be just as easy to never believe in the supernatural and blame everything on people or coincidence. Balance is the key to successful healing.  Here's what healed me: 

First, a good relationship with God.  As His creation we need our Creator.  (Spiritual balance).  God is far greater than any evil entity. 

Second, loving ourselves  and other people.  (Psychological and emotional healing).  We are truly loved by Him and others but will only feel that love when we accept ourselves. 

What does that have to do with being cursed?  Everything.  Feeling cursed you feel hopeless and powerless.  To overcome we must deal with the physical, soul (will, emotions, mind) and spiritual. 

January 5, 2006, 9:26 am CST

sin enslaves; Christ frees

January 5, 2006, 9:29 am CST

01/05 "Am I Cursed?"

Quote From: elffie

Well, I don't think I have ever met anyone that has been cursed.  Bad luck?  Sure.  We all go through a  time when luck is not by our side.  Possessed?  Possibly.  Maybe some people can be possessed.  I think if you think you are cursed then you think that you are cursed.  Anyone ever heard of Karma?  Maybe that has something to do with it, I really don't know.  How the subject got turned to Wicca and Paganism, I don't know.  I guess it goes back to when people were taught that witches put curses on people and that Pagans were evil.  I can tell you that I have looked into Wicca, not because it's "trendy" but because I was interested.  I am not Wiccan, I am Pagan.  And I can tell you that I know exactly why I chose this religion.  It has been around before Christianity.  so many people worshiped the sun and the moon and the seasons because that is what they saw.   I believe in this religion because it goes along with all the things that I believed as a child.  There is a God(Sun) and a Goddess(Moon)  and it is not a strict religion, it does not make threats or bully us to believe something.  And in the end there is a reward, for we live our lives by respecting and helping and not being judmental toward others.  Your comments about people being posers is exactly why I do not share this with everyone.  Sure, there are people who are not legitimate, I just felt I needed to put my two cents in also and let people know that it is highly doubtful that people can be cursed.  I think maybe it has something to do with superstition.
 Well the whole conversation about Paganism and Wicca got started because someone said they  studied it, and I was just tryign to get across they better be careful what they read, because a lot of it is pure JUNK.  It's written by people with NO understanding of anthropology or history. Now, I will say that some of the literature on Wicca and Paganism is insightful, but again most of it is garbage.

Now the fact that you can tell me what you believe and why explains to me that, "Okay, this person is actually following this particualr spiritual path legitimately"  but of all the people I  meet, you're in the minority hun, and good gor you. :)

You'll also find that MOST of the world's religions  have the same theme "Don't be a jerk to other people." and  "You'll get what you deserve in the end". 

January 5, 2006, 9:39 am CST

01/05 "Am I Cursed?"

Quote From: kitashla

I think they missed something when helping Holly with her problem.  (The woman who experiences horrifying nightmares.)

Sleep Paralysis.  What she experiences is almost word for word what one experiences during sleep paralysis.

I've suffered from it for years.  I've often had horrifying nightmares of demons and evil, waking up to feel demonic presences over me and pushing on me, being unable to cry out or talk or even move, or yelling once I finally pull myself out of it.  Hearing the sound of demonic voices around my head and feeling an overwhelming sense of doom and evil.

It's horrifying and for years I also thought I was haunted by demons.  (It didn't help that I was raised in a pentacostal household where even my toys were apparently possessed by demons.)

It wasn't until someone told me about sleep paralysis that it all made sense.  The episodes are still terrifying, but I can now go to sleep afterwards.  I no longer have trouble sleeping for days because of them.  Knowing what was wrong has given me a great sense of peace.

The problem is that there isn't necessarily a fool proof  way to get rid of sleep paralysis.  There are some drugs that seem to work, but it isn't 100%.  I'm concerned that Holly will try these "visualization" methods and be dismayed when they don't work.  That it will more firmly place in her mind that she is haunted by demons when she simply is experience extreme amounts of stress and/or sleep deprivation.  (That's usually what triggers mine.)

The relief I felt when I realized it wasn't demons and that everything, for what it's worth, was normal was exhilirating.  I don't want anyone else who suffers from this to be any more scared than they have to be.
 I think you've touched on something here.  That's why earlier I said people with these problems need to be evaluted for pyschological and physical problems.  I used to think I saw ghosts, heard voices, etc... Then my Dr. found out I have narcolepsy which can cause things called "hynogogic hallucinations".  Which always seem VERY real, like a waking dream., and occur at the onset of sleep and during sleep.  Also other health problems can cause visual and auditory hallucinations durking WAKING hours.  The type of hallucinations or "visions" you suffer often mirror internal conflicts or things in your subconcious that are bothering you.  A lot of times emotions that you hold back are released and effect what you see.

I think most of the guests could benefit from a work up from a physical Dr. and a mental health professional.

January 5, 2006, 9:40 am CST

Quote From: colossians

demonic activity is allowed when we allow sin into our lives.   Sin may be repented of or if it continues, complete possession is possible.  Even in these cases, faith and trust in Jesus Christ is the solution.  Christ has done all that is necessary for us to be free from Satan's bondage when He paid for the sin of man on the cross by shedding His blood for which He was not guilty.  Each individual must turn away from his or her own personal sin nature. (repentance) " ... the Father... who hath delivered us from the power of darkness and hath translated us into the kingdom of His dear Son:  in whom we have redemption through His blood even the forgiveness of sins."  Colossians 1:12-14..  

January 5, 2006, 9:49 am CST

demonic activity is allowed  when we allow sin into our lives.  Sin may be repented of, or if it continues, complete posession is possible.  Even in these cases, faith and trust in Jesus Christ is the solution.  Christ has done all that is necessary  for us to be forgiven and free from Satan's bondage when He paid for the sin of man on the cross by shedding His blood for which He was not guilty.  "...the Father... who hath delivered us from the power of darkness and hath translated us into the kingdom of His dear Son:  in whom we have redemption through His blood even the forgiveness of sins."  Colossians 1:12-14

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | Next | Last