Message Boards

Topic : 01/05 "Am I Cursed?"

Number of Replies: 508
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Wednesday, December 28, 2005, 12:06:14 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1

Do you believe that walking under a ladder or someone giving you the "evil eye" can give you bad luck? Dr. Phil's guests say that curses and evil spirits are wreaking havoc in their lives. Sarah is convinced that she's hexed. For the last five years, she has been plagued with what she calls the "Tuesday Curse." Watch what happens when Dr. Phil's producers follow her around on her "unlucky" day. Then, George is convinced he is reaping the negative effects of a curse put on his family years ago in Mexico. He has even put his wedding plans on hold because he fears the curse will cause him to divorce! Plus, David worries that his wife, Holly, may be possessed because she has had the same nightmare for the past seven years, and she has been talking in a man’s voice, speaking in a foreign tongue and barking like a dog. What's behind her fearsome dreams? And, a woman claims an exorcism, performed by her father 26 years ago, put demons inside of her.  Share your thoughts.

Find out what happened on the show.

More January 2006 Show Boards.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

January 5, 2006, 12:57 pm CST

Message to Holly from the Show

Dear Holly,  

I know what you mean about having dreams and speaking in tongues. However, these are not bad, they are spiritual gifts. You are not possessed by anything evil, in my opinion.  

I have had dreams and also speak in tongues. These are tools that God gives us to help others and fight the evil that is in the world. One of the biggest lies that Satan tells us is that he doesn't exist. If he can get people to believe he doesn't exist, he can do even more damage!! The truth is he DOES exist, and those that know it can fight it! 

Let me give you an example of a true experience of mine. One night, I had a dream. I was in this big room or church and there were people there. I saw a woman there, but I could not see her face. I had a sense of bondage or evil and I knew that she needed help. I prayed over her and she was set free. Then, she stood up and told me (though Satan was the one speaking), "What right do you have to do this? You don't have the authority!" I told him, "Greater is he that is in me than he who is in the world!" He continually tried to make me doubtful and then, I woke up.  

When I awakened, I had an urgency to go to my church's prayer meeting that Saturday. I also felt like I had to be prepared and trust that whatever happened, I had to have great faith for it and believe that Jesus could do ANYTHING (which he can). I had never gone before, because I had a small child and no one to watch him. Plus, it was early in the morning. Nevertheless, I felt that I HAD to go. So, that Saturday, I took him with me anyways.  

When I got there, nothing was out of the ordinary at first. I was waiting for God to show me why I was there. Then, a woman I knew came into the meeting. Instantly, I felt the Spirit of God! I started to tremble and I also felt a strange feeling in my stomach, like distress. I felt myself ask her, "Why are you really here?" She broke down and started to tell us all about the trauma she was wrestling with from her childhood. I told her that I MUST pray for her.  

We both started crying and the tongues poured from my mouth uncontrollably. She moaned and groaned and I felt a horrible pain in my body for her. Then, I felt tremendous release. I remember her kneeling down in front of me sobbing, and I told her not to look down in shame anymore. I told her to look up towards heaven and to the Lord.  

My innocent young son (about two at the time) came up to her and started rubbing his hand on her head and uttering a bunch of jargon. It was then that I told her that her childlike innocence had been restored.  

After that, we had her write on paper that she was free and that to always remember this day, because Satan would later try to tell her that it never happened. I then told her that her freedom was going to radiate on her face.  

I realized that the dream had been a prophecy/vsion. It was absolutely amazing!! The next week that I saw her, her face looked absolutely GLOWING!! I was just ASTOUNDED about all that had come to pass!!  

Before and since then, I have had experiences of speaking in tongues and witnessing miraculous bondages being freed. The battle between good and evil is there. Battle on Holly!! You obviously have these kinds of gifts from the Lord. God doesn't give us a spirit of fear, but of courage, love, and self-discipline. Put on the armor of God and fight!! If you need someone to talk to, don't hesitate to talk to me. Greater is he that is in us than he who is in the world!!! OH THE POWER OF JESUS NAME!!! GOD BLESS YOU and God bless everyone who reads this message!!!  

oossabooga  

January 5, 2006, 1:11 pm CST

01/05 "Am I Cursed?"

Quote From: jomach

I think that your post is very well written and informative.  It also seems to be based on Religious material vs. personal opinion.   Thanks also for the website recommendation.  I'll be sure to check it out!
Thanks for getting the word out about what these peolple are really dealing with. They are struggling spiritually and need to fing God to defeat the evil in their lives.

January 5, 2006, 1:12 pm CST

Need a little science

I am genuinely shocked at the discussion so far.  Clearly the woman who was "exercised" (sp?) has been the victim of horrific abuse and needs intensive counseling ASAP.  The woman who suffers from nightmares is caught in a self-fulfilling cycle that is being encouraged by her husband's behaviour.  Didn't anyone else think "Well duh!" when her husband said that she had another dream the day that they decided to come on the Dr. Phil show?  The first 2 guests simply find it easier to blame their failures on a "curse" than learn to drive/buy a reliable car or getting up, getting dressed for the day and getting a job!  (Simply cancelling a day of the week pretty much precludes meaningful employment or education.)   

Dr. Phil was somewhat obligated to tread a very fine line to avoid insulting the faithful.  I am not.  This is a mental health issue - period.  When an external issue becomes all consuming, whether drugs, food, or God, it becomes unhealthy.  Normal levels of religious participation help both individuals and society to function.  When it rises to this level, it impedes functioning and creates far more problems than it solves.  This type of disfunction needs to be treated like the distructive and addictive obsession that it is.    

January 5, 2006, 1:12 pm CST

Help is available.....

I appreciate what Dr. Lawless and Dr. Phil shared on today's show about curses and excorsims. But I have to say that as a Pastor and travelling missionary I have personally prayed for many many people to be free from demons, torment, hauntings and other manifestations that originate with demonic forces. It is real. Hexes, voodoo, curses, witchcraft are all real. BUT, the way to deal with it isn't simply with medical or phycological advice but rather with prayer which utilizes the power of God through the name of Jesus. I would advise anyone seriously needing help in these areas to find a Pastor that believes in this type of prayer or contact me directly. Help is available. Rev. Craig Field.

January 5, 2006, 1:22 pm CST

Evil or sleep disorder?

I just wanted to make a brief comment about the last woman on the show who appeared with her husband. I am a strong Christian, and although I do believe that evil exists in the world, her problem seems VERY much like a sleep disorder called "night terrors." (how come the doctor never even mentioned this as a possibility?") I experienced this with an ex of mine: he would wake up in the middle of the night - absolutely terrified (yet still "unconscious") - and say and do all kinds of things and then totally forget about it the next morning. It used to scare the heck out of me but it had NOTHING to do with evil! It's similar to sleep walking. They can actually prescribe medication to help treat the condition. I'm not sure of the cause but it may be hereditary or caused from anxiety. She should go to a sleep disorder clinic to be evaluated. She shoud also be doing a guided relaxation and meditation tape before she goes to bed each night and taking a Valerian supplement. Best of luck finding peace and God bless.

January 5, 2006, 1:23 pm CST

There are demons

just as there are Heavenly Angles. For those who believe in the teachings of the Bible, the reference to their (demons) existance can be found in Mark 5:2-13:
Mark 5:2  And when he was come out of the ship, immediately there met him out of the tombs a man with an unclean spirit,
3  Who had his dwelling among the tombs; and no man could bind him, no, not with chains:
4  Because that he had been often bound with fetters and chains, and the chains had been plucked asunder by him, and the fetters broken in pieces: neither could any man tame him.
5  And always, night and day, he was in the mountains, and in the tombs, crying, and cutting himself with stones.
6  But when he saw Jesus afar off, he ran and worshipped him,
7  And cried with a loud voice, and said, What have I to do with thee, Jesus, thou Son of the most high God? I adjure thee by God, that thou torment me not.
8  For he said unto him, Come out of the man, thou unclean spirit.
9  And he asked him, What is thy name? And he answered, saying, My name is Legion: for we are many.
10  And he besought him much that he would not send them away out of the country.
11  Now there was there nigh unto the mountains a great herd of swine feeding.
12  And all the devils besought him, saying, Send us into the swine, that we may enter into them.
13  And forthwith Jesus gave them leave. And the unclean spirits went out, and entered into the swine: and the herd ran violently down a steep place into the sea, (they were about two thousand;) and were choked in the sea.

There are many charlatans who claim to be able to be able to expunge these demons and there are few who are actually able to. We ourselves can rid ourselves of these just by gaining the knowledge of how and the faith that we can.

As for someone being able to "curse" someone else; that is only possible if the person being cursed believes they can.

We all are plaqued with demonic problems whether it be from minor troubles to catastrophies. It is possible for us all to not let these "ruin" our lives when we know how to recognize them and fend off what they are trying to do to us, which is deminish our faith.

January 5, 2006, 1:36 pm CST

evil forces

Hi, 

I just finished watching today's show and the lady with the dreams reminded me of some experiences I had when I was younger.  When I was 14, I started having "visitations in the night".  The first time it happened, I sensed a presence in my bedroom.  I became frightened, but closed my eyes and tried to tune it out.  I was laying on my side, and shortly after feeling the precense, I felt a hand on my shoulder shaking me.  I thought for sure I was going to die, but it stopped and I didn't.  I had no idea what it was or even if it was good or evil.  For the next several months the hand shaking my shoulder experience kept happening on a regular basis.  I became afraid to sleep and consequently became depressed.  Then one morning it happened after the sun had risen and I took the courage to confront it.  I saw a red hand that immediately disappeared.  After that the episodes became much less frequent, although they did recur from time to time.  I'm now 47 and it's probably been about 5 years since I've had an episode, and that one was when I had a bad bout of flu and was not feeling at all well.  

In my teen years, I'd convinced myself that it was some spirit.  I'm Catholic and have always considered myself to be pretty religious, and couldn't imagine that God would allow something evil to confront me.  Logically I had to tell myself that the episodes were imagined, because they weren't happening to others in the house, and I shared a bedroom with my sister.  Emotionally I was convinced "this thing" was out to get me.  I suspect the real cause was stress. 

I feel very sorry for the woman with the dreams, but it sounds like she doesn't remember a lot of them.  Her husband is taking the brunt of the problem because it wakes him.   I hope they are able to overcome this.  Seven years is a very long time to have to deal with something like this and it must be taking a very serious toll on their lives. 

January 5, 2006, 1:39 pm CST

I have had night terrors...

Quote From: njgirl

I just wanted to make a brief comment about the last woman on the show who appeared with her husband. I am a strong Christian, and although I do believe that evil exists in the world, her problem seems VERY much like a sleep disorder called "night terrors." (how come the doctor never even mentioned this as a possibility?") I experienced this with an ex of mine: he would wake up in the middle of the night - absolutely terrified (yet still "unconscious") - and say and do all kinds of things and then totally forget about it the next morning. It used to scare the heck out of me but it had NOTHING to do with evil! It's similar to sleep walking. They can actually prescribe medication to help treat the condition. I'm not sure of the cause but it may be hereditary or caused from anxiety. She should go to a sleep disorder clinic to be evaluated. She shoud also be doing a guided relaxation and meditation tape before she goes to bed each night and taking a Valerian supplement. Best of luck finding peace and God bless.
I agree- this lady has a sleep disorder! This show is disturbing- because these poor ppl are so afraid of "demons" and other unproven "evil" things. We really are a primitive society. It's 2006 ppl- science can't proove everything, but we now have enough evidence to dispell so many "wivestales" etc. I have had night terrors and they are SO SCARY. You see awful images, you hear the room FILLED with scary voices, you FEEL things touching you. It's so bad. Why hasn't this couple looked into this logical explination? Good "luck" to them- they have the power to get through this, they just need to think logically about things.

January 5, 2006, 1:40 pm CST

When I go to Bed

Yes, I totally understand what the lady was going through when she was talkin about her dreams.  I too have experienced dreams and presences that were evil--especially in my sleep.  It has been going on for almost seven years now.  I dont quite know what she believes in, but I sincerely hope that she reads this message.  Including all the other guests.  Before I go to bed, I have to make sure that I plead the blood of JESUS.  When I say this, I don't have problems.  It is important to either meditate on the word, or plead it over your mind before you go to sleep.   You are in a spiritual battle.  You are not the victim.  YOu have the power.  When you wake up, you must PRAY about it.  Let God know what is going on with you.  If you believe in the saving power of Jesus, there is no reason why he shouldn't help you.  I have called upon him at night and a demon has left my room immediately.  These are some of the things I have said before I go to bed: 

--"Let no weapon formed against me prosper, I bind and arrest every weapon, or trick of the devil against me in Jesus name."   

--" Father God annoint me with the blood of Jesus from the top of my head, to the soles of my feet.  Annoint the doorpost of my mind with the blood." 

Being covered in the blood keeps evil away---it is what helps me.  Don't be afraid.  There is no reason to be.  I have experienced quite alot of this, so Im telling from experience.  Demons cannot harm you if you KNOW the name of Jesus.   

January 5, 2006, 1:40 pm CST

"Curses"

If I  get the gist of this show it seems that there are those who do and do not believe in Curses. 

My opinions on Curses are that I find no reason to believe in them.  I find that people place themselves in certain situations that lead toward a fall over and over again.  There are things that seem unexpalined that happen to us like a  bolt out of the blue but that isn't really so.  The course that one sets for oneself often determines what could happen along the way.   

I know a number of people who say they have a black cloud hovering over them, that nothing seems to go right.  In my own life things have happened to me that were predicated on  how I set my course.  There are some things that seemed to have no reason and I just say, well, that is just the way it is and I get on with my life.  Many people do not realize how, unwittingly, they contribute to their own demise. 

Dr. Phil mentioned that if you get on with it, it will not rule your life.  The more you worry, the more likely your to err.   It reminds me of an Ear/nose/throat doctor told me of the ringing in my ears.  He told me I could handle it in two ways.  I can either ignore it or always be aware of it, that is my choice.  I chose to ignore it and for the most part it does not interfere with my daily life.  The only time I really hear the ringing anymore is when I am quiet and close my eyes and if I think of anything the ringing is masked.  The ENT doctor told me that I may always have it but I can handle it and I do.  The ringing in my ears, is at times, quite loud and has stayed with me for many years but I get on with my life and forget the ringing.   Those who have constant tinitus will know exactly what I am talking about.   

My last comment is that I do not fear ghosts, spirits, hexes or curses.  The only thing I truly fear is a live human being.  That live creature can bring fear to us all  as no curse ever could.   Ask the men who have been POW's about the evil men can perpetrate upon his fellow man. 

These are my own opinions and that is how I see it. 

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | Next | Last