Message Boards

Topic : 01/17 Extreme Disorders

Number of Replies: 1019
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, January 13, 2006, 02:18:32 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1

Does your child rage, scream and kick doors? Is his or her behavior the typical brattiness of a spoiled child, or involuntary behavior beyond the child's control? Dr. Phil sheds light on a pair of widely misunderstood extreme neurological disorders. First, he looks at Asperger's syndrome, a high-functioning form of autism which can cause a person to lack control over his or her emotions, including anger. Rich and Karen's 15-year-old son, Alex, was diagnosed with Asperger's at age 6. His sudden fits of rage and erratic behavior have put a strain on his whole family. Should his parents be afraid of Alex, or is there something they can do to bring his behavior under control? Plus, Craig, 37, can't control his physical tics, nor can he keep from constantly uttering obscenities, literally hundreds of times a day. Craig suffers from Tourette syndrome, an affliction that's gotten so bad, he won't go into grocery stores, movie theatres or any public place for fear he'll be kicked out. What will the disorder mean for his plans to start a family? Talk about the show here.

Find out what happened on the show.

More January 2006 Show Boards

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

January 14, 2006, 4:15 pm CST

Asperger's

My son (17 years old) has Asperger's and I know a lot of his problems are very hard to handle sometime but it doesn't seem to be as bad as this child on the show seems to be.  I have talked with a support group that has children with Asperger's and Autism and some seem to feel the same way about their child.  I will watch this show Tuesday and I hope to learn something thru this to help my son and my families life a little easier to handle.  We hope and pray our children with Asperger's will be able to go thru life feeling safe and able to communicate better with others without feeling threatened. I know some are worse then others with Asperger's but I Pray for this mother that this will get better some day. I know there is always hope for every child.  I know this for a fact that if we don't take care of ourselves it becomes very hard to take care and handle our child with Asperger's. Our children were sent here for a reason to do something great.  I have two children that are so different from each other but I love them both the same.

January 14, 2006, 8:00 pm CST

I have Aspergers!

I think he needs to be on meds. When I am not on some kind of meds I can get wierd. Aspergers gives me some problems, but I prefer my problem to so called "Neurotypicals", or those with typical neurological funtions. Aspergers is what gave me my high IQ and my photographic memory. It is aslo what is giving me the analytical abiltity to become a Computer Electrical Enginer.  

January 14, 2006, 8:28 pm CST

have 2 boys with high functioning autism

I will watch the show tuesday. I have 2 boys with autism. The oldest is 14 and the youngest is 9.  My 9 year old has rages also but not to the extent the boy on the show appears to have.  There are days when i wonder if we will make it but we do.  I wondered if their son was ever checked for seizures which is not uncommon in autistic children.  My youngest was diagnosed with seizures over  2  years ago and when we got them under better control, a lot of his rages subsided.  We still have bad days but  more good than bad now. My oldest is the quiet one, more comfortable with adults than teenagers and will always be socially ackward, but the progress he has made since being diagnosed at age 3 is remarkable. It's not an easy journey but I am proud of my boys and feel blessed to have them.

January 15, 2006, 4:04 am CST

Forcepts, Up tp to seven Generations Back..?

I got hit  in the head many times..  Crack in skull,3 inch in right side,,   

I have seizers  on average,, about  twice a month.. Jump and jerk In bed,  when sleeping..Wake me up..  Stopped drinking about a yr ago,,  I drink N/A beer..Or Boil beer add honey and drink warm... until alki  evaporates...  No alki.   

Try to take a baby aspirin, or Turmeric..  Once every, 3 days.. 

January 15, 2006, 6:09 am CST

Alex's mother

Quote From: kawaiikat

I will watch the show tuesday. I have 2 boys with autism. The oldest is 14 and the youngest is 9.  My 9 year old has rages also but not to the extent the boy on the show appears to have.  There are days when i wonder if we will make it but we do.  I wondered if their son was ever checked for seizures which is not uncommon in autistic children.  My youngest was diagnosed with seizures over  2  years ago and when we got them under better control, a lot of his rages subsided.  We still have bad days but  more good than bad now. My oldest is the quiet one, more comfortable with adults than teenagers and will always be socially ackward, but the progress he has made since being diagnosed at age 3 is remarkable. It's not an easy journey but I am proud of my boys and feel blessed to have them.

Alex can be the most wonderful young man and very much in control however when his meds don't work, or he oushes the therapy out of his brain, which is not always aware he is doing it, he will have these fits, rages and creates complete disruption in our lives, that includes his own. 

Alex is a very smart young man and very talented.  He has so much potential but our fear in life is that one of his rages will bring that all to a halting end. 

As any parent wants the best for thier child so do we.  

We hope that you will find some answers in our story and that we can continue to email and contact each other.  We are not alone and we and our children deserves answers as well as support to make it one day at a time. 

My thoughts are with you as we take this journey in life. 

I met someone a few years back who chose not to be my friend.  Her reason was that if we didn't have Special Needs Children we would not have met or had anything in common, and she didn't want our children to link us together.  I feel very sad for her as friends are important in life, and friends who understand and care are invaluable.  I am reaching out to be your friend as we all need support. 

Karen 

January 15, 2006, 6:13 am CST

Meds for Alex

Quote From: rlb101481

I think he needs to be on meds. When I am not on some kind of meds I can get wierd. Aspergers gives me some problems, but I prefer my problem to so called "Neurotypicals", or those with typical neurological funtions. Aspergers is what gave me my high IQ and my photographic memory. It is aslo what is giving me the analytical abiltity to become a Computer Electrical Enginer.  

Thank you.  Alex is on meds and you will see that when you watch the show, however we are learning that the meds are not the right ones and it takes time to get someone to listen and adjust what needs adjusting.  Alex is very smart and STATS are important to him especially when it comes to SPORTS.  He is musically talented and would like some day to appear on American Idol.  We believe there is so much good from his Aspergers and we encourage him to embrace the good.  We reached out to Dr. Phil because we needed more answers and help.  Answers and Help the medical gurus were not providing us....This show will open your eyes.  Please stay in touch, Alex needs people like you to help encourage him. 

With our thanks, Karen 

January 15, 2006, 6:23 am CST

Thank You and Bless You too

Quote From: amandarios

My son (17 years old) has Asperger's and I know a lot of his problems are very hard to handle sometime but it doesn't seem to be as bad as this child on the show seems to be.  I have talked with a support group that has children with Asperger's and Autism and some seem to feel the same way about their child.  I will watch this show Tuesday and I hope to learn something thru this to help my son and my families life a little easier to handle.  We hope and pray our children with Asperger's will be able to go thru life feeling safe and able to communicate better with others without feeling threatened. I know some are worse then others with Asperger's but I Pray for this mother that this will get better some day. I know there is always hope for every child.  I know this for a fact that if we don't take care of ourselves it becomes very hard to take care and handle our child with Asperger's. Our children were sent here for a reason to do something great.  I have two children that are so different from each other but I love them both the same.

Thanks to Dr. Phil we see the light at the end of a very long tunnel.  It is true I have not taken care of myself or my relationship with my husband and I have felt extremely angry for some time.  Not angry at Alex but at not being the Parent who can fix it all and make the home like the perfect family from the 50's and 60's.  Ok, I know there was no perfect family however TV and Movies are deceiving.  But I want him to have the best life he can and I want to be able to relax and not worry about the not so NORMAL things.   

Example, last night after the Basketball Game Alex got a ride home with friends.  We left the game at 9:30 p.m. and there was 1 minute left of play (they won).  Alex didn't get home for another 90 minutes.  Under typical circumstances I would have been a worriesome mother, last night I was not just a worriesome mother but I was worrying beyond belief.  Was he calm, was he raging, had he run off due to anger, or was he being a Teenager and not thinking things through and in an environment not appropriate for him.... 

I had to hold back when he walked in happy, calm and unaware that it took an extra hour or so to get home.  He actually walked in, told us how the game finished, who brought him home and how they had to dropped off two other people first (the driver's girlfriend and her friend) on the opposite side of the community. 

Since I am always waiting for the other shoe to drop I am always ready to jump in on things..........luckily along with getting Alex some help I have found someone who I too will be working with to help me get through life (my life).  I look forward to working with viewers like yourself who can help me and I in turn will be able to help.  Reaching out getting the support we need for ourselves and our families is what will bring us all WELLNESS. 

Thanks for you support, Karen 

January 15, 2006, 6:25 am CST

Hope for Aspies

My son was diagnosed with Asperger's at age 5, but was getting services for developmental delays from the time he was 3.  I will watch on Tuesday, but from the preview on this web-site, I'm concerned that you're only going to talk about the worst-case scenario--all the problems that Aspies can have. 

My son is doing fantastic today.  He doesn't have rages and gets along well with almost everyone.  These days, he accepts change and has a great sense of humor.  He's also not as anxious as he used to be.  We're still working on building his confidence in unstructured social situations, but his behavior in the classroom is totally appropriate.  His teachers all love him and his peers respect him.  He even has a date for the senior prom!  (The only medications he takes are for asthma and allergies.) 

Two things really made the difference for us:  early intervention and trying to understand and address the causes of his behaviors, rather than just reacting to the symptoms.   

January 15, 2006, 9:01 am CST

01/17 Extreme Disorders

Quote From: karen_kiki

Alex can be the most wonderful young man and very much in control however when his meds don't work, or he oushes the therapy out of his brain, which is not always aware he is doing it, he will have these fits, rages and creates complete disruption in our lives, that includes his own. 

Alex is a very smart young man and very talented.  He has so much potential but our fear in life is that one of his rages will bring that all to a halting end. 

As any parent wants the best for thier child so do we.  

We hope that you will find some answers in our story and that we can continue to email and contact each other.  We are not alone and we and our children deserves answers as well as support to make it one day at a time. 

My thoughts are with you as we take this journey in life. 

I met someone a few years back who chose not to be my friend.  Her reason was that if we didn't have Special Needs Children we would not have met or had anything in common, and she didn't want our children to link us together.  I feel very sad for her as friends are important in life, and friends who understand and care are invaluable.  I am reaching out to be your friend as we all need support. 

Karen 

That is unfortunate about your friend not wanting your children's disabilities to link you together, I have met new and wonderful friends because my daughter has autism, people I would not have met otherwise. Best wishes to you and Alex. I will be taping the show on Tuesday... 

Rhonda 

mom to a 5 yr old girl with autism 

http://groups.msn.com/AutismSpectrumDisorderSupport  

January 15, 2006, 9:27 am CST

I do not have either, Just trying to help..

Quote From: johnk3493

I got hit  in the head many times..  Crack in skull,3 inch in right side,,   

I have seizers  on average,, about  twice a month.. Jump and jerk In bed,  when sleeping..Wake me up..  Stopped drinking about a yr ago,,  I drink N/A beer..Or Boil beer add honey and drink warm... until alki  evaporates...  No alki.   

Try to take a baby aspirin, or Turmeric..  Once every, 3 days.. 

Take care  John, Please chk, with doc too.

First Page | Previous Page | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Next | Last