Message Boards

Topic : 01/24 Dreams, Nightmares and Night Terrors

Number of Replies: 158
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, January 20, 2006, 03:03:18 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1

Dr. Phil's guests scream, punch, fight and even eat — all while they're sleeping. They suffer from nightmares, sleep terrors and other disorders that are destroying their lives. Scott's sleepwalking and sleep terrors have gotten so dangerous that he has attempted to smother his wife, Heather, with a pillow, has walked outside shirtless in freezing weather, and has even kicked Heather in the stomach when she was pregnant. Heather is not only concerned for her safety, but also for the safety of their two small kids. Then, Nathalie has been plagued by the same gruesome nightmare for 20 years, and worries that she's losing her sanity. What's behind these recurring dreams? Plus, Angela has been eating in her sleep for the past 15 years. She wakes up to find chocolate on her clothes, food wrappers in her bed — even tuna casserole on her fingers! Dr. Phil has advice for putting these sleep disorders to bed.  Join the discussion.

Find out what happened on the show.

More January 2006 Show Boards.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

January 26, 2006, 11:59 pm CST

something like that

Quote From: ginalynn33

I have dreams where I wake up and I'm still dreaming, I'm still in the dream but I can't move at all or scream no matter how hard I try.  If I give in and close my eyes the dream picks up right where it left off so I keep fighting to wake up but I can't move.  It is terrifying.  My husband says that sometimes I'll sit straight up in bed and scream so loud that I sound like I'm being hurt. 

Does anyone else do this? 

I too have a the sinsation of being awake and can't react but at these times I can see other beings around me or Im being raped.  In some cases in my mind I get up but by the time I should be walking Im back in bed again and I can repeat this over and over again. 

January 27, 2006, 10:18 am CST

Regarding fear

Quote From: monica27

Sometimes I do have night terrors.  Most of them are about, the BTK killer I dreamed that he was in my house and was trying to kill me.. Also some of the deams are when my fiance leaves for work he gone for at least 2 weeks..  I dreamed that someone broke in and was trying to rape me.  I really don't know why I have these deams.  Some times I wake up yelling.  Most of the dreams happen when he is not at home.. What do these mean?  Monica

Hello fellow BTK killer sufferer!  I too had dreams about the jerk.  I left Wichita when I was 18.  Thank God he is in prison, finally!   

I believe our deepest fears do/can come out in our dreams.  Try positive reinforcements (telling yourself that everything is ok.  How wonderful it is to be so safe and secure.  How wonderful you are, etc) with yourself - through out the day and especially at bedtime.  I have found I cannot watch TV, movies or read books that have explicit murder, rape or brutality scenes , even during the day.  These will most often set me up for a night terror.  Do you have a dog?  I find when my roommate, who travels with their job and is gone for long periods of time, that having my dog with me helps to ease the fear of being alone.  He is only a miniature poodle, but, has one heck of a bark!  

Having been raped twice in my life, I can understand your fears.  After much need psycghological help and a reimergence of my positive self -esteem, and of course medication (Trazadone - at bedtime) has helped me manage my fears and night terrors.  God bless. 

January 27, 2006, 11:46 am CST

Vivid dreaming

Lately I have been experiencing the most vivid dreams. The symbolism in my dreams seems to represent restraint. For example, last night I dreamt I was swimming in a giant lake trying to get to shore. A current kept dragging me back. It was not frightening, I just waited for the current to release me and I would try to swim back to shore, only to have it pull me back again. In another dream I had wolves biting my hands and arms. The biting didn’t hurt, but I couldn’t get free. I have been a substance abuser for the last 17 years, and I am attempting to get sober. So these dreams most likely are a result of my struggle. It is amazing how clear and vivid my dreams are now that my head is somewhat free form the cloud of drugs and alcohol. The only real problem is I am losing to much sleep, and I find I am tried during the day. I suppose that can be expected, and it won’t last for ever.  

January 29, 2006, 6:58 am CST

PRAYING

I'm praying a miracle will happen soon! 

January 29, 2006, 7:50 pm CST

Reply to "Wake up and still Dreaming"

I have dreams where I wake up and I'm still dreaming, I'm still in the dream but I can't move at all or scream no matter how hard I try.  If I give in and close my eyes the dream picks up right where it left off so I keep fighting to wake up but I can't move.  It is terrifying.  My husband says that sometimes I'll sit straight up in bed and scream so loud that I sound like I'm being hurt. 

1/29/2006 

Yes, I have had that experience.  I found that I could wiggle or move just a bit, so I would try to roll off the bed onto the floor.  That worked for me.   

Harold B. 

January 29, 2006, 9:12 pm CST

Experiencing the most vivid dreams.

Quote From: n_country

Lately I have been experiencing the most vivid dreams. The symbolism in my dreams seems to represent restraint. For example, last night I dreamt I was swimming in a giant lake trying to get to shore. A current kept dragging me back. It was not frightening, I just waited for the current to release me and I would try to swim back to shore, only to have it pull me back again. In another dream I had wolves biting my hands and arms. The biting didn’t hurt, but I couldn’t get free. I have been a substance abuser for the last 17 years, and I am attempting to get sober. So these dreams most likely are a result of my struggle. It is amazing how clear and vivid my dreams are now that my head is somewhat free form the cloud of drugs and alcohol. The only real problem is I am losing to much sleep, and I find I am tried during the day. I suppose that can be expected, and it won’t last for ever.  

< For example, last night I dreamt I was swimming in a giant lake trying to get to shore. A current kept dragging me back. It was not frightening, I just waited for the current to release me and I would try to swim back to shore, only to have it pull me back again.>  

It sounds to me like you probably want to get off the drugs or out of the "drug life."  You try to "swim" to "shore" in your dream where you can be sober for a bit or for a while (on the shore part of your life).  You are putting forth a little  effort to get off the drugs by swimming to shore, but the addiction in the drug life keeps pulling you back.  More is required of you on shore and in your un-impaired vision there.    

It sounds like you are probably addicted and wish to take the easy way out, and your "ocean of life" or your "lake of life" keeps dragging or pulling you back to continue with the drugs in that life.  It apparently is not very difficult to move or to swim around  In the water in your dream, and you can also see, but with somewhat impaired vision,  "your life."   You can just float around and swim in the water for a pleasant experience.    

In this process you can escape reality for a bit in your giant lake or  your "lake of life" including your drug life.  You try to get back to shore where you can get away from the drugs.  But, your lake of life, keeps dragging or pulling you back into your drug life.  It is not really frightening  to you.  You apparently are not afraid of the drugs and do want them.  On the shore, you have to try to work and to live out there.  That is more difficult than being a druggie, so the addiction to the drugs in your lake of life (your inner self or your inner world) pulls you back.  It has a hold on you.    

I do not know you, and would not be able to get it exactly right without having some knowledge of your life.  I would bet that this is a pretty good first shot.   

haroldbras 

January 31, 2006, 1:52 pm CST

01/24 Dreams, Nightmares and Night Terrors

Quote From: caffeine

I have had these so called "night terrors" or "nightmares" where I feel like my life is being threatened in some way. My wife and I have noticed that when I have these " night terrors" it is usually after I have either drank Coke or Pepsi before going to bed. Also they happen after eating a lot of chocolate right before going to bed. So if you have this problem try eliminating caffeine in your pre-bedtime ritual. Try this and please reply back if it works because I know it works for me and I'm curious to see if my "theory" is correct. Good Luck!  

That is part of it for me.  I have post-REM parasomia. TRUST me if you have night terrors on any kind of schdule you need to go SEE SOMEONE.  It would be a lot of problems, some are very serious, other are stress related.  For me is because I take my work to bed with me.  I have to learn to stop working when I am going to sleep.

I am not allowed to have any thing that could have caffeine in it, at night, never.  parasomia is normally caused by some mis firing of nerves in your brain.  Your brain's signals are not right and caffeine can make it worse.  I have ADHD, I take stratera for this, this got rid of most of my night terrors, but I also take Lorazepam, but the best meds for me is to fall alseep with the TV on. I am scared to go to sleep, I don't sleep enough, I am tired all day.  anyone reading this and has similar problems needs to get help.  I am going to have a sleep study done when I can afford it, just to ensure there is not a bigger problem. 

Some people might get help with paryer, its not for me, but it could help the mind.  But you have a serious medical problem you need to get it checked out.  If its stress and praying helps, well it helps, but if its not and you don't get help then your taking a big chance. 

My problem is so bad that I don't sleep some nights and I have been on the couch most nights of the week.  My poor wife has the worst look on her face in the mornings after a night when I attack the ceiling fan, rip pictures of the walls, distory the lamp, wake up out side, or some other episode.  This starter off everyonce and a while and has gotten more intense.  It will distory your life if you don't get help.  Taking 1mg Lorazepam 1 hour before bed is not the complete answer but for 20 bucks a month is sure beats waking up outside.

February 1, 2006, 1:23 pm CST

Help for Night Terrors

Quote From: lostgirl

I watched the show on night terrors, I'm going to take the suggestion that you gave to the married couple I'm hoping that will work  for me too. I've been under so much stress in the last year a lot of things have had happen.  I want to get some relaxing music or even ocean sounds, these night terrors have been going on for 35 years.  I talked to my case worker from the mental health center he said it comes from sexual abuse as a child. Some of my friends told me I'll have them for the rest of my life. Is this true ? Or can I over come my night terrors? Or will I have them for the rest of my life? Does it have something to do with my mental illnesses? I'm always looking for answers about my night terrors. 

lostgirl 

Hi.  I have suffered from Night Terrors since I was about 5.  I am now 29.  I think that they started when my father died.  About a year and a half ago I went to a sleep doctor and found out that I have Narcolepsy with Adult Night Terrors.  My doctor started me on medications to help the Narcolepsy and suppress the Night Terrors.  Since then I have only had about 5 Night Terrors in the past year and a half.  It has been like a dream come true!  Before then I would have 2 - 3 Night Terrors a night often 5 - 6 nights a week.  I didn't remember all of them, but my hsuband did.  He would wake with scratches and bruises.  I started having memory loss during the day due to my lack of sleep at night.  That and severe migraines are what drove me to finally see a sleep doctor.  Now I won't sleep a single night without my medications.  I don't miss those terror filled nights.  I tried all of the relaxing techniques, but for me only medication works.  Good luck to you!

February 15, 2006, 8:00 pm CST

have dreams where I wake up and I'm still dreaming

About 10 years or more ago, I had that experience when on a couple of  anti-depressants at the same time.  It has been so long ago that I cannot remember what they were.  I would try to roll off the bed and onto the floor.  That would wake me up.   

February 15, 2006, 9:16 pm CST

I have had nightmares for a long time. Seems that I don't have good dreams

Quote From: dlynn_pa

I am very excited to see this show.  I have had nightmares for a long time.  Seems that I don't have good dreams!  They are all so scary too!  I dream about aliens a lot, people hurting me, I can never find my daughter in my dreams, rabid dogs, ice and snow... They are all so vivid too... I can remember most of my dreams to the detail....

dylnn pa, 

Dreams are easy to understand and are very healthy. They will tell you exactly is going on with you. I always felt better after going back through a dream if it was pleasant or scary.  

Let me give you a simple example. When I was a little boy, sometimes I would dream that a big, black bear was coming after me; and I could not move. I was scared. Now, my Dad had cold black hair like the bear. When he would get out his switch after me, I would feel scared and would not run. The switching was too painful for me to think about, so I would replace my Dad and the hurt with the big, black bear in the dream. I used to do similar things like that on almost ever dream for a long time that I kept up with 

Now, brother or sister, you can really get creative in a dream. That is why they appear to have no rhyme or reason. Also, when I would open my eyes; it would be like "poof" the dream was gone. I found that if I kept my eyes closed, I could hold on to the dream and go all through it. I would look to see what feeling I had in my real life that was the same as in the dream. I always felt better after I understood the dream.  

Colors in a dream are meaningful. For example, a yellow building in my dream represented my X-wife's house which had the same color or the yellow trim on the outside. Red once represented the pretty red lips of women. In the dream there were some really pretty water melons that were a pretty red color inside. In reality, I was moving to a city where I lived before and had had a great deal of fun dancing and going with the women I met at this large Country/Western place called the Riverside. The meaning here should be most easy to read. When I was a little boy, my Dad would say about pregnant women that "She swallowed a watermelon." Those many very pretty watermelons in a swimming pool with a pretty red color inside in the dream represented those pretty women that I had so much fun dancing and such with. Water in that context has a sexual connotation to me. And, here was all of these women just waiting for me.  

I have dreamed some bad ones when under a great deal of stress at work. At any rate, that was my experience with dreams. The way I came about these things was that I was watching TV opnce and dozed off. I dropped the remote and it woke me up. As I did wake up I could see myself putting pictures onto the thoughts that came drifting by. It was as plain as day as to what it was about.  

HaroldB. 

First | Prev | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | Next | Last