Message Boards

Topic : 01/27 Money Disasters

Number of Replies: 281
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, January 20, 2006, 03:14:14 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1

Dr. Phil's guests are drowning in debt. It's tearing one marriage apart and causing a single mom to think about filing for bankruptcy. First, Deborah says she was raised with wealth and privilege, and she didn't expect to be flat broke and living in a trailer when she married Chris. Chris works 12 hours a day, but they can't even pay their monthly bills. Is Chris not demanding enough from himself, or is Deborah too demanding? Also, find out the secret Deborah's been keeping from her family back in England. Then, Kristine is a school teacher and single mom who  treats her friends to dinner and goes on expensive vacations even though she is over her head in debt -- to the tune of $137,000! Her sister, Stefanie, says she's tired of bailing Kristine out when she can't pay the bills, and thinks it's time for  an intervention. Plus, a financial expert shares her advice for avoiding bankruptcy. Talk about the show here.

Find out what happened on the show.

More January 2006 Show Boards.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

January 27, 2006, 3:53 am CST

to oldhippie19

Quote From: oldhippie19

I have worked for as long as I can remember.  I have spent many years living alone.  I am a responsible 55 year old woman, who filed bankruptcy last year.  I used my Credit Cards to purchase needed medication, to take care of my husband who had brain surgery then a massive stroke, hospital bills, gas so that I could get to work so that I could take care of my invalid husband and yes even for food.  I did not buy luxury items!  If I had been without those Credit Cards, I/we couldn't have lived.  I took responsibility and contacted a Debt Solutions Company and paid $800.00 per month for 3 years.  The stress was too much and yes, I filed bankruptcy.  I didn't want to, I was ashamed.  So please understand there are those of us, in debt, not because we just buy and buy beyond our means, but because of circumstances that life brings to us.  Now that I am "out of debt" I have just been laid off from a Company where I have worked for 22 years!  Will this ever end!
The people who I was referring to in my other message were those who are irresponsible with money, buying showy things that they don't need, and then getting into debt.  Dr. Phil has had many guests on in that situation.  The ones that comes to mind is that young couple that got deep into debt because they had to have luxury cars, time shares, an extremely expensive home, etc. Your situation is entirely different.  You were put in that position through no fault of your own and that is the big difference. Your case highlights the need for a much improved healthcare system in this country.  People should not have to go bankrupt to pay for medical needs and they shouldn't have to go without needed care. You should not feel ashamed...you did this to take care of a loved one.  I hope things will get better for you.

January 27, 2006, 3:57 am CST

Debt Debt Debt

HI guys, I'm in Australia,  you can't escape debt here either, it's no different all over the world.  

We are struggling financially too.  My doctor says I have literally worried myself sick...apparently 

stress can manifest itself through you physically in all sorts of ways.  

My husband & I live pay cheque to pay cheque, we have no savings in the bank. By the time we pay  

all our bills every week/month we have a bout $5 left over for both of us.  

We have 2 children ages 12 & 8, they want to do things like learn guitar, go to the movies, have clothes or toys etc, we are constantly telling them we haven't got the money, we can't afford it. 

I go to the grocery store every day on my way home from work to get something for dinner.  Often it's something on toast, something out of a can, some sort of frozen processed meal, we often have egg sandwiches or breakfast cereal for dinner several times a week simply because its cheaper. It is actually quite expensive to eat well, fresh fruit & veges cost so much here, especially seeing as we are in a drought.  

If a $1 coin goes through the wash my husband and I fight over it...it's mine because bla bla bla no it's mine because bla bla bla.  

Neither of us earn decent money, I'm a childcare worker, he is a smash repairer (cars). People say why don't you retrain to get better paying occupations. It costs thousands of dollars to pay for courses.  

I grew up with parents who were fairly well off. It is really painful now to have had a taste of the good life and not to have it anymore for my kids and just so I can sleep at night. It puts a huge strain on relationships too.  

I used to think once I was this age I would be financially secure, I still feel like a hopeless kid at age 40. It's hard when you see people like Bill Gates etc who have immeasureable wealth and we cant even feed ourselves properly, not to mention there are people in the world worse off than me, eg: starving in Africa etc. 

I'm not asking to be rich, I just want to be able to pay my bills and live a little, mainly for our kids..no wonder people committ suicide!  It's not for me but this aint living either. 

January 27, 2006, 6:23 am CST

Immigration - welcome to reality

Truth is, if she can't legally work, then they must not have gone about the immigration process correctly.  And good luck expediting ANYTHING through USCIS - it just does NOT happen.  If they had gone through the correct process, a k3 spousal visa, the husband would probably never have been able to sponsor his wife into the US (must meet 125% the poverty line).  Had they applied for the proper visa, she would have be able to secure the right to work. 

The question now is - how did she enter the US without the proper visa?  through the visa waiver program (i.e. came in as a visitor, while they were already married, but she had the intent to stay) - if this is the case, she committed visa fraud.  If she came with a K3 - did he sponser her himself?  Did he need a joint sponsor? 

If BY CHANCE she came in on the correct visa, then all she needs to do now is file form I-485, a request for adjustment of status, and a request for an Employement Authorization Card which will be granted as her status is pending.  She should also NOT leave the united states until her status has cleared, as leaving she might trigger a 5-10 year ban, depending on her current status in the country.

I wish her luck.  I've done the immigraiton thing, by the book, and it took a LONG time to get things done properly.  If her status is up to date, and she is not in overstay or here illegally, then she can easily apply for the EAD and get work.  If she is out of status, she needs to file for her Adjustment of Status, Pronto, and keep her fingers crossed that no one asks questions about how she got into the country in the first place.  He should also be prepared to prove he can support her (and he will have to sign onto that for 10 years, or 40 productive quarters for her). 

The comment above is NOT legal advice, and should not be considered as such.  It is the opinion of someone who has been volunteering time and assistance to people who are trying to sort out immigration details.  For legal advice, consult an AILA attorney in your city.

January 27, 2006, 6:59 am CST

Really?

Quote From: julie62

I just thank GOD that I do not have a credit card.  I dont want one , I dont need one.  Growing up  poor made me realize that you dont need all the luxurys to survive. You guys taught me a lesson just by listening to you chat.
How do you blame the credit card companies for $80,000 in debt YOU created?  You charged that money, they didn't.  I don't understand what the problem is.  I would suggest that you get yourself a loan and make monthly payments and shred those credit cards.

January 27, 2006, 7:21 am CST

Free Product

Can someone tell me how to get the product Dr. Phil mentioned today on his show on money management? I went to the site, clicked on the link, filled out the form but it keeps telling me there is an error on the page. Help! 

Thanks MyNina 

January 27, 2006, 7:25 am CST

free budget cd

What an interesting and informative show! I see myself in your guest...how scairy! I am trying to get the free budget/ finances cd, but cannot get the link to open. Is there another way to register for it? 

January 27, 2006, 7:26 am CST

You can have credit cards and survive

While I see that some of you are posting how bad credit cards are and the companies that put them out.  Dr. Phil said he just didn't purchase anything until he could afford it.  However there are some of us that don't mind being in debt.  Hey it is the American way.  While I don't believe in charging up and beyond your limit, as long as you are responsible and only charge what you can afford to pay there is nothing wrong with purchasing on credit.  Yes, you pay more for it in the long run but as long as you know that up front and are ok with it then so be it.  Just be sure to live within your means.  For instance when my wife and I purchase something on credit we will pay that off before we go purchase something else.  Again, yes I am aware that we are paying more for it doing it that way but if you don't purchase on credit, you don't build your credit rating.  Then when you need to purchase something on credit such as a car or house you won't have the credit to do  so.  Dr. Phil can't tell me he paid cash for his first home.  He wasn't rich until he went on Oprah, she is the one that made him what he is today. While purchasing old cars is fine for Dr Phil, some people would just like a new car rather than an old one that they have to worry about it breaking down all the time.  So he didn't have the stress of paying/owing money on the car. He just had the stress from the worry about it breaking down LOL.... Like I said credit is OK as long as you respect it.

January 27, 2006, 7:28 am CST

Two things

First part of the show with the rich woman and poor man - get divorced.  She will never be truly satisfied or happy with the kind of salaries he's going for.  Get divorced now before bringing a child into the mix. Did you see the way she had her back to her husband the whole time they were on stage?  Also - as she is married to an American doesn't that make her a citizen?  Why is it so hard or illegal for her to work - millions of migrant workers do it every single day - wish they'd talked more about that. 

Second part with credit card-o-holic - get serious!  I do not understand why people feel they are priviledged or deserve lifestyles they cannot afford.  I think it is cruel the way credt companies keep extending credit to people who cannot afford themsleves.  Companies know the incomes of these customers, so why extend outrageous credit limits? Sure they're making $$ one way or the other - bottom line is the rest of us are the ones really paying. Congress should mandate a cap on credit based on reported income - that would help "police" so many of the irresponsible spenders. 

First time writer - just my humble opinion... 

January 27, 2006, 7:35 am CST

Budget CD

Quote From: nickmiller

What an interesting and informative show! I see myself in your guest...how scairy! I am trying to get the free budget/ finances cd, but cannot get the link to open. Is there another way to register for it? 

Apparently they don't have the link set up properly.  I have emailed the show, I suggest you do the same.  I am not sure they actually watch the message boards to see about such problems.

January 27, 2006, 7:43 am CST

Debt CD

I have been trying to register for the free debt CD, but am frustrated as to how to do it.

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | Next | Last