Messages By: cskiles

User Mood
Happy

Message Emote
blank
October 2, 2006, 8:12 am CDT

never say never

Quote From: irish718

My daughter is not very attentive to her school work. If she is getting 70'sor a little above that, then to her it's good because at least she past. Deep down I get very dissapointed about her attitude towards getting better grades. Alot of the girls thatshe was in grade school with are in first and second track, and my daughter is in third track. I tried to tell her she could get better grades if she would just read and study more, but she justblows me off. I don't know what to say to her. I don't want to say anything negative, I don't even mention college because I don't think she is college material. She just wants to get out of high school and get on with her life. What can I do to make her see that if she doesn't try to do better now, then she will also be struggling with low paying jobs, and just getting by like she is now. I don't want her to think that just getting by is ok! What can I do to change her mind?

Thank You

My daughter is in college this year as a freshman.  I was unsure about sending her to a 4 year college her first year because of her readiing disablity.  She was a c and d student in high school and scored a 14 on her ACT.  We had to have teachers write letters of recommendation for her to enter.  I am so glad that we encouraged and supported her in attending.  The college is giving her what ever support she needs but mostly she is doing it on her own.  She calls me or emails me to review her papers for writing errors  and we give her what support she needs.  It has been the best experience ever, we are so proud of how she has stepped up to do the job.  Do not let grades or even disablities deny your child the college option.  Cindy

User Mood
Happy

Message Emote
blank
February 24, 2007, 5:26 pm CST

hope

From what I have read I am not sure if these children have other problems or are only deaf/blind.  I work with a young man who is deaf/blind and is 14.  This morning he just wrestled in his first ever wrestling match in our middle school program, he won.  He would be a great inspiration for this mother as he leaves everyone he meets a better person.    He is smart and clever in spite of  his challenges.  He is supported by a wonderful father, sisters, grandpa, and an angel of a grandma who works very hard to help him succeed.  This young man is who he is because of his blind/deafness and he is a wonderful person who makes us all better people just to have known him.  Good luck to this mom and remember to find people who have experienced this for your support and encouragement. Cindy

First Page | Previous Page | 1 | Next Page | Last Page
Return to Message Board