Messages By: n_country

User Mood
Relaxed

Message Emote
happy
January 22, 2006, 5:22 am CST

01/24 Dreams, Nightmares and Night Terrors

Quote From: lostgirl

I suffer from severe night terrors for years and they wont go away, it comes from my past since I was really little.  They have gotten worse over the years, I would disturb my neighbors by running down stairs banging on the their  door yelling out for help. I don't remember nothing that happen,I would yell and scream.  I would hit my boyfriends in my sleep and even spit in their face  or even hit myself in my sleep. I would even lock myself out of my apartment,  and the neighbors would complain about my night terrors by banging on the walls. I had to move to a different apartment ,my landlord said you are disturbing the neighbors.  My neighbors thought I was crazy,  and would get into it with them about my night terrors. I'm always afraid that the landlords would throw me out because of my night terrors, and then I would become homeless. Now I'm in my new place and been here for almost year now, my neighbor would tell me that I have severe night terrors. I would run outside and bang on her door, that night I woke up felt like I was choking and thought somebody was after me.  I will get up and kick things bang on walls, hit others  in my sleep and would jump on their legs and hit them also in my sleep.  My past relationships would throw me out of bed and also hit  me and spit in my face for what I done to them. They were thinking I was doing this on purpose I'm not I don't remember nothing that happen. I'm so sick of this and living this way, I can't find the right help for this. I also suffer from mental illnesses, one of them comes from sexual,physical abuse as a child. 

I just joined the message board, this is my first posting ever! 

I too suffer from night terrors, but not to the degree that you are. I’ve woke up many times after a very loud scream, or from punching the wall. These dreams have been there all my life too. I slept-walked as a child, and would actually engage people in conversation. Sometimes I would yell and swear at my parents. I think the one of the causes of my night terrors is repressed emotion, mainly anger.  Of course I could be repressing more than my emotions.  I look forward to seeing this program. Perhaps it will help us in some way. I hate to hear that you suffered abuse, I have heard that does cause night terrors. I don’t know if ever have been abused, but I’ve been a substance abuser since my early teens… my memory does not serve me well. I think that the answers to many of our issues lies within, but in your case with the severity you describe medication may help. Go see your doctor. I always try to think about the dream I was having when I wake. My nightmares do not frighten me any longer. I believe your dreams give insight into your mind and soul. 

User Mood
Relaxed

Message Emote
happy
January 25, 2006, 7:33 am CST

We will prevail!

Quote From: ems1102

I have to admit that even though I knew  I could not be the only going though this, just having other stories that resemble mine... it's very comforting.  I was lucky enough to be asked to go on the show... the footage shown on TV was a footage that I hadn't seen before until the taping. My reaction to seeing "her" for the first time out of my head, well, that in itself was... bizarre yet it gave me a relief. 

I will keep posting here as I go through the steps that Dr Phil has so kindly offered to provide for me and I will let you know what comes out from all this. Maybe my experience will be help others.  I hope it does. 

There is help for us and I'm sure there is a way to control this... we just have to hang on. 

ems 

Hi Nat, 

I saw the show on Tuesday, I found it both fascinating and informative. Dr. Phil is very wise, and I am thankful he put this show together. I am happy for you that you are finding help. I too know how difficult that can be. I have seen my doctor twice regarding depression, and have been turned away. Here in Peterborough, ON. there is a very large waiting list for psychiatrists, and they didn’t think I my problem was that serious. I have tried to open up to friends as well, but I find most just don’t understand. I usually get the comment, “everybody gets depressed form time to time”… not exactly. I have been working on this for several years, and I know I’m getting better. I was at my lowest point last year, I would think of suicide daily. Of course I would never, but constantly thinking about it really brought me down. This year is much better for me, I have a whole new outlook on life, and I try to squash any and all negative thoughts. There is much to be said for the power of positive thinking, which is extremely difficult when you are on a low. When I start getting negative, I try to go do something positive. I find exercise helps tremendously. Talking about it or writing, like I’m doing now is also beneficial. Just always remember you are never alone, there are great people out there who want to help, like Dr. Phil! 

-Steve  

User Mood
Relaxed

Message Emote
blank
January 27, 2006, 11:46 am CST

Vivid dreaming

Lately I have been experiencing the most vivid dreams. The symbolism in my dreams seems to represent restraint. For example, last night I dreamt I was swimming in a giant lake trying to get to shore. A current kept dragging me back. It was not frightening, I just waited for the current to release me and I would try to swim back to shore, only to have it pull me back again. In another dream I had wolves biting my hands and arms. The biting didn’t hurt, but I couldn’t get free. I have been a substance abuser for the last 17 years, and I am attempting to get sober. So these dreams most likely are a result of my struggle. It is amazing how clear and vivid my dreams are now that my head is somewhat free form the cloud of drugs and alcohol. The only real problem is I am losing to much sleep, and I find I am tried during the day. I suppose that can be expected, and it won’t last for ever.  

First Page | Previous Page | 1 | Next Page | Last Page
Return to Message Board