Message Boards

Messages By: cnimri99

User Mood
Relaxed

Message Emote
quiet
November 28, 2006, 2:04 pm CST

Jeremy Returns

I am reserving comments about this particular show directly. However, I would like to say to Dr. Phil that I, too, have dealt with Child Protective Services, when I lived in Montana. I found them very lacking in professional courtesy, and I found them very unwilling to listen to my concerns regarding my child. I had one worker tell me that if I was concerned about my child, I had to turn over video or cassette recordings of all interactions with any parties who may be hurting my child in any way. I also found out that one worker has a history of very publicly abusing his children, and has been convicted of child criminal endangerment, and another worker has a history of alcoholism and lack of appropriate care of her children. However, they are still allowed to work for the state and try to tell others how to raise their children. Therefore, I wholeheartedly, but respectfully, disagree with Dr. Phil that Child Protective Services is a professional agency concerned about children. I have also had the experience of dealing with bias on the part of the judge, but in the state of Montana, not one person in a "power" position will bother to look into the situation and deal with it appropriately.

Thank you, Dr. Phil, for doing everything you can to try to help all of our children, but please don't say that CPS is such a wonderful agency, when they are not.

User Mood
Relaxed

Message Emote
blank
September 10, 2007, 1:53 pm CDT

texting and driving

I am absolutely abhorred that this kind of thing is being allowed at all! Mythbusters did a show on driving while on a cell phone, and showed that the cell phone is MORE dangerous than driving drunk!!! I think any parent that discovers their child is doing this should take away the driver's license and complete driving privileges of the child. I honestly don't believe these young kids need cell phones anyway! Since when did teenagers become so incredibly important that they need to be "wired in" at all times of night or day? NO child is needed by their "friends" that much! We've had entire generations that survived this life NOT having cell phones, so why is it suddenly so important for these kids? I very much agree with states imposing huge fines and even repossession of vehicles to keep people from being on their phones while driving. If it's really that important to get that text or call, PULL OVER TO THE SIDE OF THE ROAD. I also admire the young man that is giving speeches and such to help kids understand this terrible issue. It's very sad that someone had to die for him to learn that lesson, but at least (if only because of probation), he is making a positive difference based on his experience.

User Mood
Relaxed

Message Emote
blank
September 10, 2007, 1:56 pm CDT

09/10 Season 6 Premiere!

Quote From: limefreckle

While watching today's show, I just couldn't understand why the focus was on taking away the cell phone -- that girl should have her vehicle taken away.  The Mom didn't appear to get it at all, but to be fair, she was in an uncomfortable situation, so hopefully away from the lights and the cameras she will do what is right and take the car away from her daughter before something serious happens to her or to someone else.  I wouldn't be comfortable with just having her phone taken away from her, she did not show the maturity that is necessary to be given a car, or a driver's liscense for that matter.  If it's not the text messaging that will distract her, it could be music in the car, friends in the car, etc.  Take her car away from her and that should help!  Even when confronted with that very courageous young man and his story, all she could say was "it still sucks to have your phone taken away!".  Yes, that's an honest response, but she really didn't give me any indication that she was getting any of this....nor did her Mom....

This girl at least had the guts to appear on the show and be honest about what she does behind the wheel, so kudos to her for doing that , but please, I think that they (her and her Mom) have a really long way to go to understanding the gravity of the situation.  I'm so surprised that Dr. Phil didn't concentrate more on the fact that she shouldn't even be driving, let alone texting and driving.

I agree that her license should be taken away, and I would take the phone as well! There is no way this girl is so important that she needs to be in touch with someone 24/7.

User Mood
Relaxed

Message Emote
blank
September 10, 2007, 1:59 pm CDT

09/10 Season 6 Premiere!

Quote From: debmoatz

There are SO many options concerning cell phones.  First of all, texting is an option.  The mom can have that taken away.  Also, her daughter can have her cell phone.  She can have a phone that allows 911 and also phone calls to MOM and from MOM.  That way, Mom can have peace of mind that her daughter may contact her plus have access to 911 in case of that emergency. 

PTSA is this evening, I hope to suggest getting this tape of this particular show and having it presented to our high school.  Unfortunately, the attitude of this young lady is all too common, and secondly, the parents for the most part, don't really care.

A concerned parent of a driving 17 year old.  Thanks for a great sixth season opening show.

I think it's simply time to quit allowing teens to even have phones, UNLESS it is a phone that can ONLY call parents and 911. And then the kid should get a part time job after school and pay for it.

User Mood
Relaxed

Message Emote
chillin'
September 15, 2007, 1:18 pm CDT

age doesn't matter

I am 8 years older than my husband. While it does leave room for debates regarding my life experience over his (no matter how little it may be), we are quite happy after 5 years of marriage, and we have unfortunately lived much of that apart due to his military career. I must say, it takes a special person to be a military spouse, but age should NEVER figure into the equation. I don't think it matters what the difference is or who is older. Each person brings their own experiences and baggage to each relationship, and the challenge is being mature enough to handle it all eloquently.

User Mood
Relaxed

Message Emote
angry
January 28, 2008, 7:23 am CST

baggy pants

There is no such thing as "targeting African-Americans" when it comes to this issue. People of all races wear their pants this way. Honestly, I think it makes them look stupid and trashy. People wearing their pants this way look like they have no self respect and they appear unintelligent. I mean, what self-respecting, intelligent individual would wander around showing off his underwear to the world? And then people dressing like this wonder why no one else respects them! I've already told my 7 year old son I will not allow him to dress this way, because he is so much better than that.

User Mood
Relaxed

Message Emote
quiet
January 28, 2008, 7:26 am CST

showing underwear..........

As Dennis Leary says "underwear are called 'underwear' for a reason!!" I'm not sure legislating this problem is the right answer, but someone needs to alert these people to the problems of walking out of their pants (I've seen it several times) and the possibility of having their underwear go with the pants when they fall down (indecent exposure). Obviously they just don't care enough to dress appropriately.

User Mood
Relaxed

Message Emote
chillin'
May 24, 2008, 9:10 am CDT

Brat camp

I like the idea of the brat camp, as I know Dr. Phil is very capable of helping families. However, I think the biggest problem with the parents in this particular camp, is that they never learned to tell their children NO. I  am a firm believer that a child should NEVER have EVERYTHING they want, and parents HAVE to learn to say NO from the moment that child leaves the womb. Establish boundaries early, and you'll have a lot less problems later (not to say you won't have any, just less). PARENTS, LEARN TO TELL YOUR CHILDREN NO!!!!!

User Mood
Relaxed

Message Emote
frustrated
June 26, 2008, 1:28 pm CDT

Having babies............

I had my first baby at 19, and THAT was too young. I gave that baby up for adoption, and had my second child at 27. My word of advice is WAIT. WAIT, WAIT, WAIT to have a baby. Think about the expense and emotinal and mental frustration and exhaustion that go with being a parent. A person wanting a baby should also think about what to do if you end up like I did with my son, in a custody battle with his father. My son also has Asperger's Syndrome and ADHD, which comes along with its own brand of frustration and anxiety, even though I love my boy more than life itself. He needs various kinds of therapy, assitance in school, and constant activity at home to use up all the hyperactive energy he has. There's also the consideration of whether or not you end up having a c-section instead of natural birth. Having a baby is a huge decision, a life-size challenge, and the most frustration, exhaustion, and anxiety you will ever experience. It's also the largest blessing you will ever have. But seriously, you're better to WAIT. A teenager is simply NOT able to handle all it takes to raise a child successfully. (I honestly know some adults that don't even do it well.)

User Mood
Relaxed

Message Emote
blank
June 28, 2008, 9:06 am CDT

Meddling In-laws

I feel very fortunate that my husband and I both get along well with our in-laws. However, my father and stepmother have huge issues with the in-law parents, and I say the parents should learn to mind their own business. A marriage is about the couple that married each other, and mostly it's no one else's business but theirs what happens in that marriage. In the case of my parents, I really think their parents should learn to "butt out" instead of "butting in". Once your children are old enough to marry, they're certainly old enough to make their own choices about what they do and who they associate with, etc.

First Page | Previous Page | 1 | Next | Last
Return to Message Board